Sen. Danica Roem Profile picture
Nov 27, 2017 8 tweets 3 min read Read on X
Since the election, I've repeatedly heard these Republican talking points about why they lost, basically making Democratic voters out to be too dumb to vote Republican and caring too much about identity politics. At risk of giving them good ideas, let me break this down. /1
1) I spent 10 months detailing my plan to fix #Route28: how much it would cost ($300M), how to pay for it (reallocating 28-66 funds), what it would look like (replace traffic lights with overpasses) & how I would get it done (local+state). Y'all hit me on "transgenderism." /2

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Sen. Danica Roem

Sen. Danica Roem Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @pwcdanica

Mar 12
Of my 10 Senate Bills that passed the Virginia General Assembly this year, all earned bipartisan votes in both chambers.

Nine of those bills passed the Senate either unanimously or with only 1 of 40 members voting no.

In the 100-member House, all 10 passed with 65-100 votes.🧵
The only outlier for either chamber was my bill to extend the area where speed cameras are allowed near school crossing zones by 250 feet for intersections with a crosswalk where there’s been a fatality since 2014.

The Governor’s administration endorsed the bill in the House.
That bill (SB 336) I put in as a constituent request for the Somerset Crossing community in Gainesville following the fatal pedestrian crash at the intersection with Forkland Way in 2023.

House: 24 Rs voted Yea, 25 Nay (passed 73-26).
Senate: 1/19 Rs voted for it (passed 22-18).
Read 8 tweets
Jun 23, 2023
During my six years in the House of Delegates, we’ve passed 41 of my bills into law — all with bipartisan support, including 23 signed our most recent Democratic governor and 18 signed by our current Republican governor.

I’ve never had a bill fail in the Senate or be vetoed. 🧵
With Democratic majorities in both chambers next year, we would could pass bills to end school meal debt with universal free school meals, increase transportation safety funding, standardize training for court-appointed guardians, protect internment rights on fmr heirs property…
…increase government transparency by making the Freedom of Information Act more publicly accessible, speed up delivery of future night/weekend VRE service for both the Manassas & Fredericksburg lines, finalize a plan to extend Amtrak to Bristol and more east-west train service…
Read 14 tweets
Jun 22, 2023
Capitol Hill Republicans are actively trying to defund free school meals for kids in need.

Richmond Republicans this year voted party-line in the House Education Committee’s K-12 subcommittee against Del. @mikemullin4VA’s bill to provide universal free school meals.
State legislators in Democratic-led states this year passed bills to feed every kid at no cost, to save their parents up to $1K per kid, and to relieve the administrative burden for school officials so they can focus on education.

Contrast that with this:
newsweek.com/republicans-pl…
During my 6 years in office, we’ve passed 41 of my bills into law (all with bipartisan support), including 12 to feed hungry kids. I’m proud of my bipartisan record.

Yet party-line politics got in the way of something so basic and affordable to help kids, parents and schools.
Read 4 tweets
Dec 31, 2022
To the people of the City of Manassas Park and the PWC portions of Haymarket, Gainesville and my lifelong home of Manassas:

On Jan. 11, I’ll begin my sixth and final year of serving you in the Virginia House of Delegates. I’m so grateful to advocate for you and our community.🧵
I’ll spend much of 2023 going door to door as always, asking to earn your vote so I can continue serving you by representing the new, open 30th District of the Virginia state Senate, which also includes the PWC parts of Broad Run, Catharpin and Bristow and the City of Manassas.
In the meantime, I’ll be carrying bills focused on fixing roads, feeding kids, protecting our environment, making government more transparent and accessible and more.
And I’ll keep being an inclusive leader who welcomes you because of who you are, not despite it. You belong here.
Read 10 tweets
Nov 30, 2022
I know a lot of y’all are concerned about the bill in the Virginia state Senate attacking trans health care.

I have no doubt our @VASenateDems’ 21-19 majority will defeat it, just like each of the last 56 Senate Bills filed by the same Republican patron of this bill since 2020.
This is the patron’s pass/fail rate for Senate Bills as chief patron:

21-19 Democratic majority:
2022: 0-for-22
2021: 0-for-11
2020: 0-for-21
2020 SS1: 0-2

21-19 Republican majority:
2019: 5-for-18
2018: 6-for-20
2017: 0-for-10
2016: 1-for-4

Total: 12-for-108 (11.1%)
For reporters and political observers, context like this matters.

1) When you leave it out, it allows a narrative to fester that the bill may have weight behind it when it’s designed for messaging and brand reinforcement by someone running to the right in a Republican primary.
Read 9 tweets
Sep 21, 2022
1) Parents do matter — and you’ve ignored the parents of trans kids in Virginia schools who told you the actual text of your proposal beyond your rhetoric hurts their children.

2) You oppose the right of LGBTQ parents to marry so they can legally protect their families.

(1/4)
3) Executive fiat doesn’t overrule settled law, like Grimm v. GCSB, Article 8, Section 7 the Constitution of Virginia, or Section B-1 of the Virginia Human Rights Act.

4) Your own party in the House said the gov’t can’t dictate the rules for the privately-run VHSL 3/7/18.

(2/4)
5) Your own party rejected the idea of a gov’t mandate for school officials to out trans kids regardless of safety when Republicans in the #4 subcommittee of the House General Laws Committee rejected my predecessor’s bill HB 1612 to do exactly that and more Jan. 19, 2017.

(3/4)
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(