.@GovHolcomb's #coronavirus briefing is underway.
.@StateHealthIN Commissioner Kris Box says there's been an increase in cases in some parts of the state, notably Fort Wayne. She notes the state warned of a likely increase as restrictions loosen, and says #socialdistancing still needed.
Allen County now has the third-most cases in the state, leapfrogging the Indianapolis doughnut counties.
Box says, as she did Wednesday, she's concerned about #GeorgeFloyd protests leading to surge in infections. ISDH will have special testing site in downtown Indy from 10a-5p tomorrow.
Holcomb is again opting for the jacket-and-T-shirt ensemble today, this one a Community Foundation of Wabash County "Better Together" shirt.
OMB director Cris Johnston: May sales taxes, which missed the original budget forecast by about $100M, were Indiana's lowest May collection in seven years.
Holcomb: "We believe schools can and should open" under recommendations issued today by IDOE.
Holcomb says the administration has meetings scheduled with #INLegis's black caucus, and says he spoke "briefly" with members this morning after they unveiled their recommendations for justice reform. He says there needs to be a sense of urgency to take action.
Holcomb says #casinos can reopen at 12:01am June 14 if Indiana goes to Stage 4 of restrictions that day as hoped. Casinos have been anticipated to open sometime in the 3-week span of Stage 4, but neither Holcomb nor the Gaming Commission had previously said it'd be on Day 1.
Holcomb: @INNationalGuard has not deployed anywhere in anticipation of weekend #GeorgeFloyd protests, but remains on standby if needed.
Box: hospitalizations have gone up in Allen County as cases have gone up.
"There has not been a strict sense of social distancing and wearing masks." Trying to educate further. She also indicates some of increase may be in #longtermcare.
Holcomb clarifies on @INNationalGuard: "We are not only on standby, but on the scene where we need to be." As before, they're available if local governments ask for help.
Last weekend, troops stood guard at Indianapolis monuments and the statehouse, which are state property.
Next week will mark the reduction of briefings from 3 per week to two, on Wednesday and Friday. That was scheduled to start this week, but Holcomb held a news conference on Monday after all to address the weekend's protests.
Share this Scrolly Tale with your friends.
A Scrolly Tale is a new way to read Twitter threads with a more visually immersive experience.
Discover more beautiful Scrolly Tales like this.
