It’s been a long day. 20 hours of poignant conversations with journalists, parents, and activists about the state of our nation and our prospects for stopping this cruel bill. But I want to talk about my wife, @rachael_scar . And about women. In America. In 2017.
Her name is Rachael Scarborough King. She is a professor of English Literature at the University of California, Santa Barbara. And she is Carl’s mother.
We started dating senior year of college. We had worked together at the campus rag, @ColumbiaSpec. Within weeks, I felt like we were already settled into a long-term relationship. We just fitted.
1. I think we are coming to the end of this evil clown car circus, with too many players to name and myriad acts. It’s donkey’s and elephants have become beholden to some nebulous master(s) who have deftly controlled the marionettes of media and law enforcement
2. This is my effort to pull everything into a “unified field theory” as things are beginning to reveal their proper place. I will liberally cite my own previous works to make my point and to bedazzle you with my intellectual prowess or the lack thereof.
3. Hillary’s private email server investigation was certain to be her downfall prior to 2016 presidential election. However James Comey's contortions with investigation rivaled that of a paid performer at a house of ill repute. Timelines are complex.
1. It's a really strange experience being in a room of educated liberals these days. The vast majority (eg my family) are really great people, but refuse to be curious about what MAGA is & therefore can't understand why Trump was elected.
2. My very close family know that I support Trump & MAGA. They are dumbfounded. I've tried to explain it to them as a movement that's taking us back to the real world, a bit like waking from a bad dream. But nothing works.
1) As Tea Pain promised you, the pace of the news became fast and furious last week with 2-3 #TrumpRussia bombshells every day. The Flynn plea deal has thrust us into the heart of the Trump end-times and the White House is on edge.
2) Fox News is pourin' out #FakeNews at a break-neck pace hopin' to vilify the Dept of Justice and the FBI to set the stage for Trump to fire Mueller. Right-wing nutballs like Hannity and Judge Jeanine are spewin' hate faster than a combine on cocaine.
3) It looks like the armies of darkness and the patriots of light are destined for the final battle that will determine the fate of our nation. We will be tested at every turn by a desperate and immoral administration viciously clingin' to the last stronghold of power.
This coming week is make-or-break for the GOP tax scam. If you have any interest in fighting this disastrous bill, follow along for a state-of-play update. Short version: we CAN still stop this thing. 1/
Here’s where we are: Both the Senate & House have passed versions of the GOP tax scam. They have a lot in common (huge tax cuts for the wealthy & corporations, tax hikes on millions of middle class families) but aren’t identical. 2/
To become law, the House & Senate have to pass identical bills. So to come up with ONE new version that both chambers can pass, the GOP has sent their bills to a “conference committee.” 3/
Hey, everyone, as it's a snowy Sunday evening and Christmas is around the corner, let's play one of our newest traditional parlour games: translating David Davis.
Sometimes I think not even he knows how to do this, but let's give it a go.
1/ Canada +++ is not an option. First because EU has repeatedly ruled it out, second because EU would then have to offer the same terms to Canada & Korea under the Most Favoured Nation clause. So this translates either as 'I want the impossible' or 'I want the single market'
2/ This is an easy one. It means 'it's not legally enforceable but if we don't treat it as such, we won't get any deal, and that will mean a no-planes, no-free-trade-with-anyone, no-nuclear material cliff-edge. Which would be disagreeable.'
I spent an hour talking to a neighbor last night who loudly identifies as "Evangelical."
He loves Trump.
He said moving the US embassy to Jerusalem ABSOLUTELY proves the End Time are here and Jesus will return "soon."
He also said that the Bible clearly states that we must "eradicate" Muslims because otherwise they will come here and destroy America.
When I suggested that perhaps that's NOT what his bible says, he told me I needed to reread it.
He described an interview on Fox News, a soldier who talked about NOT killing a young shepherd boy in Afghanistan -- and the boy then supposedly betrayed the US soldiers to his village and they were subsequently attacked by "ISIS."
Apologies for the short thread, but I think it is necessary to counteract the deliberate and cynical "everybody lied" white noise generated by Brexiters.
Let's look at the five, plain claims on the front page of the official Vote Leave website under "If we vote stay in the EU":
An outright lie and an islamophobic dog whistle;
Not only was Turkey not about to join the EU, but since the Brexit vote it has withdrawn its application, having lost the main big player pushing for it to get membership (which was, of course, the UK).
An outright lie;
Everyone now accepts this was a great big porkie. The same Leavers who spent months defending this figure, are currently touring studios defending the divorce settlement bill, by saying we currently pay £10bn a year. That's £180m a week. Which is also a lie.
(THREAD) It's time to tell the biggest untold story of the 2016 election: how a cadre of pro-Trump FBI agents and intel officers—some active, some retired—conspired to swing the election to Trump. The story involves Flynn, Prince, Giuliani, and others. Hope you'll read and share.
1/ True Pundit is a pro-Trump fake news site that began publishing on June 9, 2016—the day that Donald Trump Jr., Jared Kushner, and Paul Manafort met with Kremlin agents in Trump Tower to discuss the Kremlin's provision to the Trump campaign of incriminating material on Clinton.
2/ True Pundit would quickly reveal itself as having the same agenda Trump Jr. had when he met with Kremlin agents on the day True Pundit launched: its mission would be to destroy Clinton's candidacy by uncovering incriminating material about her—particularly via her emails.
The absolutely fearless @ThomasWictor has laid out a case for WEEKS that Judge Roy Moore is the victim of a carefully planned, coordinated hit job. Democrats are THAT DESPERATE to hang onto power in the Senate.
And now more people are realizing this.
I remember ANITA HILL even if a bunch of Never Trump/Conservative GOPe people suddenly developed a memory problem over the past month.
It SHOULD be remembered how Progressive Dems have launched well coordinated smear jobs against political targets with media help in the past.
And Anita Hill wasn't the ONLY Clarence Thomas accuser. There were several others.
Thomas stood firm, the stories of the accusers had time to be examined, the strategy to SHAME him into withdrawing did not work.
1/ THREAD: The Spiritual Dimensions of #QAnon - In order to understand this, you need to transcend your own thinking, or expand your thinking and take the 40,000 ft view, as Q is fond of saying.
2/ By this, I mean to say that it doesn't matter what you, I or we believe. It matters what *they* believe. And *they* can believe some very silly things. Elites gobble up the new age gobbledygook like podestas at a pizza party.
3/ Let's assume the elites are very much in line with the Pike Doctrine of duality - that there is one God (Adonai), and another god (Lucifer). This can mean that there are no other gods, or Lucifer is using other deities as a culturally specific avatar.
Some people really benefit from hearing advice that everyone knows, for the same reason we keep schools open despite every subject in them having been taught before.
In that spirit, here's some quick Things Many People Find Too Obvious To Have Told You Already.
Your idea is not valuable, at all. All value is in the execution. You think you are an exception; you are not. You should not insist on an NDA to talk about it; nobody serious will engage in contract review over an idea, and this will mark you as clueless.
Technologists tend to severely underestimate the difficulty and expense of creating software, especially at companies which do not have fully staffed industry leading engineering teams ("because software is so easy there, amirite guys?")
Both @TheDemocrats & the Deep State arm of the @GOP only promote from within using a meritocracy based-on ability & willingness to cover-up criminality in their party & their allies' w/i the other; one only need look at the history of US intelligence & security to confirm this!
THIS is a PERVERTED SYSTEM of promotions & a 60+ year criminal enterprise!
YOU have been LIED-TO your ENTIRE LIFE.
It's been 2 PARTIES W/ 1 MASTER since GHW Bush created FEC Incorporated
in 1975 to throw #WaterGate prosecutors off.
GHW, WJC, W, HRC, JEB & so on was their plan!
Alright, I've got enough bourbon in me for one more thread before I crash. WARNING: this will be a weird one. I'm not even tagging the Conservative Twitter Intelligentsia in on this LMAO.
Tonight, I want to talk about... memetic ideas.
A memetic idea is information that is specifically meant to be passed around and shared. Sometimes the information is called a meme. Sometimes it comes in the form of a joke, a picture, a quote, an often repeated idea