Mika McKinnon Profile picture
Jun 10, 2018 16 tweets 7 min read Read on X
It appears we need a refresher on how bloody terrifying wildlife is in Canada.

Imagine a moose, or beaver, Canadian goose, polar bear, elk, lynx, or any other iconic animal.

It’s bigger, bites harder, & is way more aggressive than you‘re imagining. And it gives no fucks.
How tall are you? Great, bull moose are taller.

Bull moose are up to 7 feet at the SHOULDER. Moose are so big their eyes don’t reflect in car headlights at night because they’re TOO TALL.

BC highways even has pamphlets yelling about how big moose are:
Trudeau is calling Canada a moose.

If you piss a moose off, they charge, stomp, & gore (one dude took an antler through the eye to the brain! Ahhh!). That fuzz Colbert referenced? Here’s a moose eating his own velvet. Not cuddly!
I’m cutting the graphic details about moose + car collisions, but when several hundred kilos of pissed-off mammal is flung into a windshield or on to a car room, no one comes out ok. Just... Moose get the right-of-way.

Sweden gets it: www-esv.nhtsa.dot.gov/Proceedings/25…
But let’s talk about beavers. Round, funny tail, giggle-inducing innuendo, anal secretions that smell pretty & taste like vanilla. Nothing scary, right?

...they’re rodents with really big teeth,can hold their breath way too long, & have creepy-dexterous hands.
Again, edited for gore, just going to point out that anything that can BITE DOWN A TREE has no issues defending itself. It’s usually only fatal if they hit an artery. Or have rabies.

Did I mention beaver teeth are fortified with iron and NEVER STOP GROWING?
I’m grateful Alberta’s giant beaver is extinct, but the modern North American beaver is about the size of a pair of 3 year-olds strapped together with a big flappy tail & a vendetta against running water.

Did I mention they can parachute, nbd? Tactical error teaching them that.
Canadian geese: they won’t kill you directly, but you’ll be traumatized before they’re done.

Oh — and they’re big enough to kill you indirectly by birdstrike on aircraft.
Canadian geese are migratory grazers who travel in flocks.

Thus: they have “teeth,” a serrated tongue, powerful bite strength, up to a 6 foot wingspan, & hella muscles. They’re also seriously aggressive if you go near their chicks & will gang up on you.

Fuck modern dinosaurs.
Canada geese are the same size as a toddler, but half the weight. People think it’s cute for their kids to feed the geese right up until the goose has enough, hisses, and chases their terrified kiddo to an eternity of nightmares.

Pile in if you need to trauma-bond over geese.
You know how I love Juno, the spacecraft orbiting Jupiter that has a freaking titanium vault protecting its computers? That spacecraft is roughly the same size & mass as an adult male polar bear

I couldn’t include that in stories because people underestimate how damn big that is
Polar bears look all tiny next to tundra buggies right up until the moment you realize the wheels are human-sized. ...and even cute lil cubs are wheel-sized.

Adult male polar bears are up to the size of smart cars (at half the weight — “only” half a US ton!)
Polar bears consider the middle of nowhere with nothing around home, which tells you everything you need to know about their relentlessness, keen senses, & effectiveness as hunters.

Keeping them out of somewhere is understandably tricky: articles.extension.org/pages/8588/pol…
We also have cougars, rattlesnakes, more bears, wolves, coyotes, wolverines, lynx, elk, orca, owls, sharks, falcons, leatherback turtles, Pacific octopus, osprey, little brown bats, sea lions, walrus, & bugs.

Wildlife is awesome, but deserves respect. They can fuck you up.
And yet for all our choices of terrifying critters, nearly every Canadian will tell you the same thing:

Moose are the scariest.
Most common replies, in order:
1. "Moose are scary!" stories.
2. Canada good trauma-bonding.
3. Shock.
4. Canada & Australia are clearly kin.
5. "It's CANADA Goose, not Canadian!" (and yet no one corrects the "car room" to "car *roof")

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Mika McKinnon

Mika McKinnon Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @mikamckinnon

Dec 26, 2021
The degree of rage I feel when someone flippantly declares getting COVID is inevitable and we should give up is beyond my ability to politely express.

It’s never too late to make things less bad. Like Climate nihilism, it’s self-destructive bullshit & I have no tolerance for it.
Science is an astonishing tool linking cause and effect, enabling us to create a path to any future we want.

It’s not easy! Untangling details can be lifetimes of effort to get right. But the harder part is picking a future, then doing the work.
It’s daunting. We need to do the work individually, but we also need our communities, governments, & everyone everywhere else to do the work.

But if we refuse to surrender to suffering?
If we keep struggling to do better?

We have infinite possible futures that are less bad.
Read 5 tweets
Mar 9, 2021
You know the rules:

Most vibrantly-coloured rocks are on the Do Not Lick list, but ALL rocks that are literally radiating are definitely on the Do Not Lick list.
> Record scratch

> Freeze frame of you, the protagonist, contemplating the pros and cons of licking a plutonium puck.

“You’re probably wondering how I got here. It all started when I was strolling around France...”

#YouFindARock.

📷 Roberto Bosi Densely-packed crystals of a pale translucent tan spackled a
You pick up the hunk of densely-packed quartz crystals, intrigued by the spatters of matte black.

“Did you mould?!” you ask the rock incredulously. “No, no, that’s not quite right... what IS this?”

>
Read 15 tweets
Nov 21, 2020
I’m reading a lot of well-intentioned articles that make it clear how many scicomm peeps have no idea disaster risk reduction is a deep field with a lot of research into effective communication.

ProTip: Using fear & shame as motivation backfires when applied to public health.
I can’t write this article (or even thread!) right now as I’m under medical orders to drop my stress levels (ahahahahasob), but...

If you’re writing well-intentioned pieces trying to influence pandemic behaviour, please take some cues from disaster sociology research. It exists!
Fundamental premise:
Vanishingly few people make active choices they believe will endanger themselves or the people they love.

If they’re making “bad” choices, it’s a fundamentally different risk perception. Until you understand how & why, your argument will miss its audience.
Read 7 tweets
Nov 20, 2020
Gritty has found rocks.

They are all safe but boring to lick. It’s a solid selection of common crystals from a rock shop or museum gift store.

I do have a few questions.
If you go outside and pick up a stray rock, it’s probably quartz.

This looks like quartz. Quartz is an excellent oscillator that is piezoelectric & resonates well.

White sand is also quartz, and is near oceans.

Conclusion: Gritty can use quartz as a distributed spy network.
I have questions on this ID.

If it’s rose quartz, it’s about as fun as licking a window for flavour.

But it could easily be pink halite (like Himalayan rock salt!). If it is...? Lick it! Lick it moar!
Read 7 tweets
Nov 19, 2020
I’m stunned that we’re losing Arecibo.

Even if you don’t pay much attention to ground-based astronomy, you know this telescope from pop culture & movies. It’s somewhere special. nature.com/articles/d4158…
This article from just before the closing announcement is fantastic for the context of why Arecibo is so unique:
space.com/arecibo-observ…
I just...

I know we’ve got a lot going on, especially with the mass casualty event scheduled shortly after US Thanksgiving.

But take some time to read the Arecibo tributes as they come out. They won’t be cheerful. But they’ll be heartfelt.
Read 6 tweets
Nov 14, 2020
Irregular reminder that landslides can behave like fluids.

(Thank you for all the pings!)
Landslides get weird when there really big, and can start behaving more like fluids than solids once they’re over the half million cubic meter mark.

...which was pretty much why I wrote a thesis once upon a time: io9.gizmodo.com/why-are-huge-l…
But technically landslide are fluid-like, not fluids.

Why?

Because they’re a mixed mess of materials that act differently when moving than when still. You can’t just sample a tree trunk, some peat, and water to figure out the rheologic properties (how it flows).
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(