If you remember the fights over who can/can’t use which bathroom, this was that.
Title IX is the federal law that bans gender discrimination in education programs that receive government money.
It would define sex as either male or female, unchangeable, and determined by genitalia at birth.
- invalidate any changes made people who do not feel comfortable in their own body
- completely overlook the existence of intersex people (those with both male and female genitalia)
- erase any pronouns other than he/she
- realign the definitions of gender and sex
Sex - what “parts” you have, either by birth or reassignment
Gender - how you express yourself
Using them interchangeably as reported by @nytimes and the memo it reported shows, among other things, a lack of research.
Within hours of the memo being released, the LGBTQ+ community mobilized.
- a rally for trans rights took place in NYC
- another is planned for Monday in Washington
Children’s lives are at stake.
People who wouldn’t have survived if they were forced to conform to a gender binary that doesn’t exist.
Show up for them.
Speak for them.
They will not be erased.