And then work got busy.
And then I got sick.
And then we had another child. (Pretty damn cool!)
Since I haven't posted in a bit, here's thread on getting DIALED IN:
• Social/Personal Relationships
• Physical Health
• Mental/Emotional Health
Others to consider
There's probably some overlap.
1.) Do you like what you do each day? (i.e. Are you engaged at work?)
2.) Are you focused on your strengths?
3.) Are you spending time with people you like?
Improving your career well being is one of the top priorities to consider for maintaining positive health.
Use your strengths and spend as much time as possible with people you like at work.
And the #1 way I enhanced my work and leveled up my career was by adopting Cal Newport's Deep Work philosophy:
Up next? Social wellbeing/personal relationships.
The most important relationship in your life is the one you have with yourself.
It's important to practice self compassion.
Treat yourself as if you were someone who you were responsible for helping
(1) You've heard it a 1,000x, but it's true: You are literally the 5 people you surround yourself and spend the most time with.
(2) The well-being of friends and relatives is a more effective predictor of happiness than earning more money.
(3) The average person (even introverts) needs a minimum of six hours of social time a day to thrive.
(4) Too many parents put their kids' wants above their own needs. Learn how to remedy that here: dialedinmen.com/mistakes-paren…
First thing to know: You you FEEL about your financial situation is more important than how much money you ACTUALLY have.
People are so ignorant that almost 50% of people would prefer to make $50,000 (if everyone else is making $25,000) than to make $100,000 (when everyone else is making $200,000).
Don't be "that guy" ...
Keep reading for more tips.
• We have a budget spreadsheet
• Save X amount of what we earn
• Less things. More time. (We define wealth/enough)
• No debt except our mortgage (this includes cars!)
• Emergency fund that helps with mental and emotional wellness
(1) Spending money on others boosts happiness more than spending on yourself.
(2) Experiences beat material possessions because you take them for granted, while activities create positive memories that you can relieve forever.
Up next? Physical Well-being.
The spectrum for good health is wide, but generally you should think about good health as having enough energy to get things done on a daily basis.
• Do NOT compromise your sleep (except when a newborn is in your house)
• Lift heavy weights and improve your relationship w/ gravity
• Do some cardio (go for long walks, do sprints, run hills)
• Drink tons of water
What's that look like?
Lots of protein + healthy fats.
Whole foods, cooked simply.
Pay attention to gut health. Eat fermented foods containing probiotics
Understand that naturally occurring sugars (fruit) are (mostly) good, but that added sugars = bad
Do *not* eat seed oils. They're poison.
Practice regular intermittent fasting. At a bare minimum, do not eat snacks and do not eat between dinner and breakfast to ensure regular promotion of the anti-aging process of autophagy,
Am I happy?
Am I being creative?
Am I (mostly) anxiety-free?
Am I able to motivate myself?
Am I being kind and empathetic to others?
Am I making decisions quickly and intelligently?
Am I retaining information at an appropriate level?
One of the best ways to learn how to do this is to listen to "This is Water"
Some of my fave takeaways: ryanstephensmarketing.com/this-is-water/
Here's what I need:
• Systems I Trust
• Stoicism + Cognitive Behavior Therapy
• Being productive vs. merely being busy
• Decision-Making and Good Mental Models
What keeps you happy and creative?
• New experiences
• Procrastinating less
• Savoring good memories
• Performing acts of kindness for others
• Strong social connections (see beginning of thread)
• Saying “Thank You” (I hand write a lot of thank you notes)
(1) Happiness is Reality ÷ Expectations (work on the denominator, too)
(2) Happiness is a Choice
Think “Happy in Spite of” instead of “Happy if Only” and you'll dramatically transform your life.
If you received value from this thread I'd be grateful for a RT/Like on the first tweet in this thread.
And, if you want to stay in the loop and get DIALED IN updates, please subscribe here: eepurl.com/cS_6z5