1. Developer, researcher, community member drafts an EIP
2. EIP is discussed on reddit, twitter, github, and @EthMagicians. Users signal intent.
3. Coinvotes/polls created ad hoc (if contentious) to roughly gauge sentiment
5. If rough consensus identified clients implement (note: clients are not obligated to)
1. Client teams communicate updated client available.
2. For potentially contentious changes, exchanges signal support
3. Node runners (all 9000+ of them) after gauging user, developer, exchange sentiment and discussions, make informed decision to run client or not.
5. Market ultimately values based on the result.
6. Life goes on as one or two chains reflective of their respective values and interests.