🦞🦀🦑カイ🦑🦀🦞 Profile picture
Jan 22, 2019 44 tweets 26 min read Read on X
Haikara Walker/ 3rd Splatoon art book (rough) translation thread!

because my god we haven't even gotten word of an english release of the 2nd artbook so who tf knows how many years itll be till we get this book officially translated
before I begin:
1. i dont have a scanner, sorry bout that
2.i would HIGHLY recommend checking out this link here ( kirbypost-generator.tumblr.com/tagged/haikara…) as it has translations from this artbook by kirbypost-generator as well as clannfearrunt on tumblr. lots of very interesting stuff!
3. i am in no way fluent at japanese. in fact, i am not very good at the language. translations are made from a mix of web translators, dictionaries, and whatever knowledge i do have. i try my best, and my method has been working okay so far, but do keep this in mind.
4. translations will be put in images because unfortunately it's way too long to fit in a tweet
5. im not gonna post all the translations at once. i will be updating this thread from time to time, so i invite you to check back on it!

k that's all
Pages 47-69 of the book have pictures of much of the gear in game with some brand new flavor text. Throughout this thread, I'll be translating a few batches of the text from those pages. Let's start off with some Grizzco gear! ImageImageImageImage
another batch of flavor text translations as per request: Red Hi-Horses, Rockin' Leather Jacket, Takoroka Windcrusher, and Takoroka Nylon Vintage ImageImageImageImage
some more flavor text translations with some as per request: Noise Cancelers, Squidlife Headphones, Silver Tentatek Vest, and the Skull Bandanna ImageImageImageImage
I was about to go ham on translating more gear flavor text, but then i remembered that there's heaps of more interesting things than that! Here's info on Pearl's private heli. ImageImage
I enjoyed the artwork on page 212, but it turns out the text really isn't all that interesting, as its literally just a description of one of those old desktop computers. anyway, here it is.
(the katakana in the boxes are just labels that say things like "mouse", "modem", etc) ImageImage
info on some Exclusive™ gear. This one's a lil rough sorry
Anglerfish Mask, Hockey Mask, Marinated Top, and the Pearlescent Hoodie. ImageImageImageImage
Info about a power rangers-esque anime found in the Splatoon world, from page 208. featuring it's sypnosis, how it got an older fan base, and summaries of the main characters. ImageImage
Translated tidbits on some cool-looking jackets: the Brown FA-11 Bomber, Forge Inkling Parka, Navy Eminence Jacket, and the Custom Painted F-3. ImageImageImageImage
A bit of info about a folk rock band from the 90s, from page 209. ImageImage
Some more gear translations by request. The Inkfall Shirt, Shrimp-Pink Polo, Crazy Arrows, and the Whale-Knit Sweater. ImageImageImageImage
Info on the vending machines found in Deep Sea Central Station.
The labels in the second image say "(glass) Bottles" and "PET Bottles"

(also, drinks made from squid fin lemons and squiddymelons! from the packaging im guessing theyre a lemonade and melon soda respectively.) ImageImageImageImage
Apparently there was a spoon-bending fad in Splatverse, here's some info on that. ImageImage
How bout some "octo" gear? featuring the Octo Layered LS. Fresh Octo Tee, Octoglasses, and the Octarian Retro. ImageImageImageImage
I've gotten my hands on some scans by @MilkieMilkshake, so no more crappy phone pictures in this thread! milky thank you so much for this i owe you my life
Some info on a toy in Splatoon that looks like the equivalent to those really tiny littlest pet shop houses. i love those little nudibranch dolls...

a sidenote: the book incorrectly states the station number as B03, but gives the right name. ImageImage
ok correction to the above it's supposed to be polly pockets!

but to be fair they made littlest pet shop toys just like that, that hence my mix up
Info about those infusion sets that you can see in the earliest levels, found on page 227.
wonder what's inside? ImageImage
Info about some medicine stuck into the trunks of trees, also found on page 227. This one is pretty interesting, in my opinion. ImageImage
Page 221 talks about these cans that contain small toys.
(i cant say ive seen these in america, and idk what to properly call them in english? lmk if you know.)

Anyway, check out the colored masks on those inkling girls, and the wavy striped markings on that squid! ImageImage
Some info about pencil cases and also an anime called "Sea School," found on page 224. ImageImage
dont feel like deleting and reposting for something so minor, but everything is supposed to be in present tense in the first passage of the previous tweet, but i wrote it in past tense for some reason....pencil cases still exist.
It's been a while! Here's some info about Chirpy Chips/ABXY and all the band members.
(Only Noijii and Paruko were referred to with a gendered term. I wouldn't be surprised if Raian and Shikaku were meant to be male too, but I used neutral pronouns for them anyway.) ImageImageImage
Revealing Kamabo Corporation's Eight Secrets...
This is from a section of the book that briefly talks about various pieces of tech used by Kamabo Co.
I'll be doing the other seven files over the next few days here, so be on the lookout for that! ImageImage
Files no. 2 and 3.
...I don't think ill translate these diagrams.
The "dresser" is the cylindrical thing that goes around you when picking weapons in OE. The goal point likely looks like a pen because the words for "ballpoint" and "goal point" are extremely close in Japanese. ImageImage
Files no. 4 and 5. feat. the targets and that big ol' orb that we all know and love

Thought I'd get these done sooner, but I was pretty busy this past week... ImageImageImage
Files no. 6 and 7, on traps in the NILS statue and the world-ending cannon. I also included the notes on the energy core in file no .6, because not knowing what the hell that zapfish-looking thing was plagued me for months.

...it's a zapfish egg ImageImageImageImage
and finally, File no. 8, the Thangs. I actually had this done for a while, but held off on posting to try and translate some of the handwritten captions. I ended up giving up on that though so.... here it is anyway ImageImageImage
Also on the same page as the previous tweet (pg 191) is what seems to be a recruitment advert for Kamabo Co.... It feels very reminiscent of the Grizzco employee handbook with how it's so cheerfully worded. ImageImage
This comes before the whole "Kamabo Corporation's eight secrets" thing posted in the thread earlier, so I probably should've done it first...oh well!
Here's everything on pages 180 and 181, with our squid research lab researchers entering Kamabo Corportion for the first time. ImageImage
here is EVERYTHING on pages 182 and 183. it's a lot. ur welcome

I've been wanting to do these pages for a while, I love the artwork at the bottom of 183 that shows the interior of statue in full gory detail!

...also it says here the Kamabo Co logo *literally* looks like shit... ImageImageImageImage
a note abt the tweet before the last one: i am now not so sure it's SRL researchers who are doing the exploring...? they're referred to as reporters, not researchers. idk how its gonna be handled in the official translation. ill change it to "reporters" when these go on tumblr
Been a while, but school is done kicking my ass! so here's page 193....Commmander Tartar.
the text is pretty much a summary of all that we already heard in OE, nothing really new. Still, I love the concept art on this page to bits. ImageImage
I should've translated this earlier on in the thread, but here's the title page for all the stuff in the Kamabo Co. section, found on page 173. ImageImage
Page 44-45: An exclusive interview with Toni Kensa
This is my longest translation yet! And because it's so long, I'm inclined to make a mirror of it on tumblr for readability pretty soon here...

(anyway rt this please it took a while) ImageImageImageImage
I have made a tumblr mirror of the Toni Kensa interview. I will gradually add more of my translations to my tumblr with some corrections!
rassicas.tumblr.com/post/185117838…
A translation of the "Up & Coming" timeline, from pages 242-243 in Haikara walker. Tumblr link below in case twitter shrinks down the image too much. RTs appreciated.
rassicas.tumblr.com/post/185394113… ImageImageImage
Some old video games found in the world of Splatoon, pg. 214-215. 1st set is Famicom games, 2nd set is SFC games, 3rd set is N64 games. There's obvious Mario and LOZ parodies, but it's harder to say what the other ones could be, if anything. Recca? F-Zero? lmk if you have ideas! ImageImageImageImage
Here's my longest translation yet, an interview with two graffiti artists, Sally and Hara Wataru! They talk about that one vaguely blobfish-shaped graffiti that's everywhere (it's not a blobfish) as well as a few other interesting bits of lore.
rassicas.tumblr.com/post/617013494… Image
moreeee (6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17)

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with 🦞🦀🦑カイ🦑🦀🦞

🦞🦀🦑カイ🦑🦀🦞 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(