This is a nifty in-depth report from 2016:
Death and injury by bullet is ~1,000 Canadians per year. That really sucks. Mainly deliberate, some accidents.
What about the tens of thousands of people whose lives are saved by guns?
- Ban cigarettes
- Ban alcohol
- Ban sugar/junk food
- Ban hockey
- teaches course designed by RCMP
- addresses causes of violence with firearms
- addresses moral issues, how to handle people encountering personal issue
- lock up guns, keep key hidden.
"It's something very important to me when I deliver the course."
Anybody who says background checks are useful for public safety, that is a CLAIM. It is NOT a fact.
- You need to SHOW it with evidence. It's not enough to repeat it.
- So many variables in how/when checks are done, what is checked, who checks, who assesses ...
- Suicide dropped in many countries that never passed Canada's Firearms Act.
- Where's evidence to say drop is related to legislation?
- SSRI drugs have been a huge consideration.
- Suicide by bullet: 16%. Hanging: ~50%. Ban rope?
All PAL holders are human.
All humans are potential killers.
Therefore, all PAL holders are potential killers.
All doctors are human.
All humans are potential killers.
Therefore, all doctors are potential killers.
All Senators are human ...
If you plan to do bad things, you aren't going to hire the federal police to investigate you and track you (aka get a PAL).
- Over 18
"When you do that comparison ... You find that Canadian firearm-licence holders are less likely to commit firearm homicide than Canadians who are unlicensed."
Many firearms reclassified in 1990s. No signif change.
- U.S "Assault Weapons Ban" ... no change in homicide by bullet.
"In Canada, there is no proven benefit."
Better to direct funding to youth at risk.
"As a physician, I am afraid that one day I might be forced to give our patient records." I don't want a patient to be afraid of talking to me because of information I may give away.
[Gives heartbreaking testimony of how system fails people who need help.]
We are going to get a lot of false positives.
Most physicians won't sign off if asked to approve someone as a gun owner. Not worth the risk to them given all the unknowns.
The govt is imposing new requirements/costs on companies, offsetting cost of new registry onto private sector.
There should be no barrier to a licensed firearm owner to properly maintain a firearm in the interests of public safety.
"The classification of firearms is open to opinion. There is no appeal process in place." ... It changes over time.
- When name, PAL, and guns are in a book on the gun store counter.
- when clubs/ranges have paper linking name, PAL, address.
Bill C-71 makes this much worse. It's a great way to REDUCE public safety.
Said earlier that companies face "exorbitant" costs when CBSA stores products.
- slave traders
- national security
- Olympic athletes
- duck hunters
C-71 is focusing on the law-abiding firearms owners. There is nothing that I see that is focusing on the criminal element.
- No emotional manipulation
- Not telling other people what they need
- Not telling other people how to live
Bill C-71 doesn't compensate stores if guns they have in inventory are "Prohibited."
Devaluation. Can be tens of thousands of dollars ... for a single model ... at a single store.
Agreement in industry that ... "the bill does nothing to address its stated purpose."
❤️ a fellow Gunnie ... but ... #RookieNumbers !
Caruana: We probably have one of the widest selection of handguns and modern sporting rifles, which are AR-15s.
- "We sell quite a large volume. Probably close to 100 a week. Our business is based predominantly on Restricted firearms."
WInkel: 55% long guns, 45% handguns. That split gets closer and closer together every year (At Ellwood Epps)
Hipwell: We have seen a similar trend, increase in "Restricted" firearm sales.
- roughly 50-50, could be 60-40
Most [54%?] CSAAA members say sport shooting is driving growth in sales vs. hunting.
"Sport shooting is definitely driving our industry."
- We don't know each other.
- We don't know about each other.
- We have zero contact.
Each PAL holder lives knowing they are one phone call away from prison.
"Without the background check being done in a timely manner, we have no market to sell to."
#ThankYou for rocking it!
Happy to be a customer of all your stores. Can hardly wait to be a bigger customer.
"I'd love to see violence stop."
Senator David Richards nails it. Again.