1. The mainstream media is still in a transphobic backlash, and it's been getting nastier and more dangerous every month.
But that second point is really worrying me.
1. What is this doing to the overall cultural framing of trans ppl?
2. What is this focus doing to our communities, particularly to those who only have access to trans spaces online?
3. What is it doing to us as individuals?
A simple explanation of framing is that it's the way we shape our perception of reality - and that the shaping changes what we see and how we think.
One of Lakoff's main points is that using a frame - EVEN TO REFUTE THE POINT OF THE FRAME - strengthens the frame itself.
- out of touch with reality
There isn't an easy answer about how to escape and promote our own, truthful, frame.
But one part of the answer is depriving the articles, shows, and tweets of publicity.
But does simply RTing the headline do anything to help solve the problem of it?
What is the end goal?
And I think we have a duty to be smarter about how we engage with this bullshit. We have too much to lose.
Speaking completely anecdotally here: I'm worried about the distress this is causing for other trans people, particularly young trans ppl without offline support.
Not just from the personal abuse aimed my way on these platforms - but seeing that abuse, and similar, magnified and obsessed over.
Spoiler: I don't have any brilliant and easy to follow unifying theory.
But I do have two suggestions, and I think they're good ones.
Do we have as much power as the mainstream press? Of course not.
Does that then mean that we're completely powerless? Of course not.
So what's stopping us from using every bit of power we have?
And I want to see those incredible people celebrated at every turn.
2. That before we engage with any transphobic content, we ask ourselves "what's the end goal?"
Taking that moment to stop and reflect before we hit share, taking the trouble to calculate whether it's worth it, if there's another way.
- Am I helping or damaging the other trans people who will see this?
- Am I helping or damaging myself?
- Is there something else I could do with this time - 5 minutes/10 minutes/half a day - that would help more and hurt less?
Thank you for your amazing suggestions yesterday - I'll be sharing them later.
And if you got to the end of this thread - thank you. We got this.