David Videcette Profile picture
Jul 25, 2019 23 tweets 9 min read Read on X
1. This Sunday marks the 33rd anniversary of Suzy Lamplugh's disappearance; the beginning of a nightmare for her family & friends. Paul & Diana Lamplugh sadly passed away never knowing what happened to their daughter after she left her estate agency offices on 28th July 1986.
2. People don’t just disappear.

So, in 2016, I began studying the flaws in the police investigations over the past three decades, to understand the repeated failures in why Suzy's body has never been found and why no one has ever been prosecuted for her disappearance and murder
3. I went back to the very start. I've traced dozens and dozens of original witnesses, some of whom police have never tracked down; some as far away as New Zealand and the USA. I’ve travelled thousands of miles to understand what went wrong from the very outset.
4. My goals were (a) locate Suzy's remains so she could finally be laid to rest; (b) locate enough evidence to successfully prosecute Suzy's killer. Following a 3-yr, self-funded investigation, I now know the answers to Suzy’s disappearance & how these have been missed by police
5. The police narrative that Suzy met a client, the infamous 'Mr Kipper', at a house viewing and was abducted by him is completely wrong. My investigation shows Suzy didn’t have the keys to conduct this viewing in the first place, and could not have entered the premises.
6. My investigation has found that the police’s star witness, from whom the now infamous 'Mr Kipper' artist’s impression came, never identified Suzy as being with this man at all. It was police assumption alone. This means the infamous artist’s impression is utterly worthless.
7. Moreover, the police have missed or ignored the anomalies in the timelines leading up to Suzy’s disappearance and in the period afterwards. Analysing these timelines and understanding them in detail has been crucial in cracking the mystery of how and why Suzy went missing.
8. I provided very specific information to the Metropolitan Police over a month ago - a formal written statement & items of evidence. Despite repeated communication with the Special Casework Investigation Team, I see no evidence of action in a prompt and timely manner. Why?
9. Sadly the answer to this is why the case has remained unsolved for so long. The Met Police is a fine organisation. I’m proud to have been part of it during my policing career. But in terms of all the Suzy Lamplugh investigations, there have been repeated mistakes throughout.
10. Despite being told by Treasury Counsel through the CPS that there was insufficient evidence to prosecute a man named John Cannan for Suzy’s murder, the Met still went on to name him very publically at a 2002 press conference as the ‘only suspect’ in Suzy’s disappearance.
11. This unprecedented ‘overcommitment’ may have been well meaning at the time, but it has since spawned an ingrained institutional prejudice against Cannan, whereby there is no longer room for any alternative narrative or alternative suspect in their case.
12. These institutional prejudices aren’t unusual, especially not in larger cases where evidence is ‘cherry picked’ by investigators to suit preferred narratives and anything else is either excluded or ignored.
13. Add ‘trial by tabloid’ to this mix, which we have repeatedly seen in Suzy’s case, and the focus of police investigations narrows, and investigators develop a serious bias problem.

The very specific information I have provided to the police is not about John Cannan.
14.Operation Edzell, the investigation into the 1992 murder of Rachel Nickell, personifies this institutional prejudice in action. The police became completely fixated on Colin Stagg as the sole suspect, spending £3 million in their attempts to obtain enough evidence against him.
15. At Colin Stagg’s 1994 trial for the murder, the judge ordered the jury to acquit him, much to the dismay of the police. The police closed Operation Edzell and put out a statement saying that they were not looking for anyone else in relation to Rachel Nickell’s murder.
16. Despite his acquittal, Stagg lived under a cloud of suspicion for years with the innuendo that he was guilty. The police, after all, were not looking for anyone else. Barry George currently lives under the same cloud, despite his acquittal for Jill Dando’s murder.
17. In 2008, thanks to the assistance of DNA evidence, Robert Napper was convicted of Rachel Nickell’s murder. Colin Stagg was paid £700,000 compensation. Robert Napper had raped and murdered others while the police had been pursuing Colin Stagg for Nickell’s murder.
18. John Cannan has been convicted of other crimes and is rightly serving out his sentence for them. However, despite a clear lack of evidence against him and all the time these accusations are levelled at him, Suzy’s real killer remains at large - and I fear, free to kill again.
19. With John Cannan very publicly named and fingered by both the police and media as the ‘only suspect’ in Suzy’s case, subsequent generations of police investigators now hunt fruitlessly for evidence to prove it, and the mistakes in Operation Edzell are being repeated.
20. Since being castigated by the IPCC in 2010 for Operation Edzell, I perhaps naïvely believed that whatever evidence I found, wherever that pointed, the police would be happy to act upon it, promptly.
21. Alas, I had not imagined the extent of the institutional prejudice against Cannan. The police have closed their minds to any other possibility, which has led to their relentless pursuit of him for three decades.

This prejudice now stands in the way of resolving Suzy's case
22. In the last 10 months alone, the Met Police has wasted hundreds of thousands of pounds on a dig in Sutton Coldfield and in Worcs, in a relentless pursuit of evidence against Cannan. My research suggests that the intelligence underpinning these digs is highly questionable.
23. As the 33rd anniversary of Suzy's disappearance approaches, I implore the Met Police to act on the evidence I provided.

I remain committed to working with the police, but cannot, and will not, be silent about the evidence forever.

Suzy and her family deserve better.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with David Videcette

David Videcette Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @DavidVidecette

Nov 27, 2020
First of all, lets look at the evidence base they've used for this.

The claim: "An analysis of 3,184 cases in Japan identified 61 case-clusters that were observed in healthcare and other care facilities, restaurants and bars, workplaces, and music events."
Why are 'Workplaces' and 'Healthcare Facilities' included here? They don't breakdown the findings of the Japanese study.

Its published here though:

wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26…

The study took place in Japan between January & April 2020 - surely things have moved on since then?
Read 29 tweets
Nov 27, 2020
The UK government have just published the evidence on the transmission risk in the hospitality sector - GOV.UK gov.uk/government/pub…
I haven’t read it all yet, but it appears to be broken into three parts.

I’ve highlighted (below) one section from each of those three main parts showing (top line) issues with the evidence.

Once I’ve read it all I will discuss further.
“disinhibitory effects of alcohol are *likely* to exacerbate difficulties with social distancing.”

“Data from epidemiological analysis of outbreaks in *Japan, China, South Korea, and Indonesia* noted that their largest superspreading events were...”

“*statistical correlation*”
Read 5 tweets
Aug 5, 2020
The Ammonium Nitrate at Beirut Port was there due to a complex legal dispute. A story of the legal wranglings is on shiparrested.com

On 23/9/2013 a ship called the Rhosus, flying the Moldovian flag, sailed from Batumi Port, Georgia heading to Biera in Mozambique...
The Rhosus was carrying 2,750 tons of Ammonium Nitrate.

En route to Mozambique, the Rhosus got into technical difficulties, forcing it to enter Beirut Port. Upon inspection of the vessel by Port State Control at Beirut, the vessel was forbidden from sailing further.
Most of the crew were repatriated shortly afterwards. The Rhosus was abandoned by her owners after charterers and those shipping the cargo lost interest in the Ammonium Nitrate.

The remaining crew on the Rhosus and Master quickly ran out of stores and provisions.
Read 7 tweets
May 11, 2020
On this day in 1812, Spencer Perceval became the only British Prime Minister ever to be assassinated.
On an otherwise unremarkable Monday afternoon at about a quarter past five, Perceval entered the lobby of the House of Commons on his way into the chamber

A man, who had been sitting quietly by the fireplace stood up, walked towards the prime minister, and shot him in the chest
Perceval, on being shot, staggered backward.

“Oh! Murder! Murder!” he exclaimed, before collapsing, dead.

His corpse was then carried into the Secretary’s Room.

This incredibly detailed account of events and the scene is held by National Archives:
Read 12 tweets
Apr 5, 2020
This is the moment The Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem was closed due to Coronavirus.

Last time this happened was in 1349, during The Black Death, a bubonic plague pandemic.

What’s fascinating about this story is the guy with the keys.
The church is in the Christian Quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem. Within its complex it is said to contain the two holiest sites in Christianity; the site where Jesus was crucified, and the empty tomb, where he is said to have been buried and then resurrected.
The site, which has existed in one form or another since the 4th century, is occupied by a number of rival Christian denominations. These denominations often don’t agree with each other and conflict has been a recurring feature among them during its history.
Read 8 tweets
Jan 3, 2020
Much of the talk about yesterday’s drone strike has been focused on Qasem Soleimani, somewhat missing the other significant individuals with him in his convoy, and in doing so, missing why this convoy was such a threat.

Also in the convoy was Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis.
al-Muhandis helped form Kata'ib Hezbollah, a powerful paramilitary entity that had been actively involved in the protests at the US embassy in Baghdad

The group were active in the Iraqi civil war against coalition forces & more latterly against ISIS, again backed by Iran.
But al-Muhandis is better known for the work he did in the 1980s, particularly towards United States embassies.

On 12 December 1983, two months after the 1983 Beirut barracks bombing, a series of terrorist attacks took place in Kuwait.
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(