, 10 tweets, 4 min read Read on Twitter
Some are justifiably wondering why the #UCP's 2019 interim supply bill for libraries is drawing so much more criticism than the #NDP's in 2015 #abpoli #ableg

Here's what's different (1)
The #NDP's interim supply bill was tabled in June, to start July 1 (edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/interim…). Folks who work for libraries in southern Alberta confirm they received 75% of their grant then, and the remaining 25% in early Sept thru special approval of the Minister of the day (2)
The #UCP's interim supply bill has come, literally, months later and is giving libraries 50% of their operating grant with about 6 weeks left in the fiscal year (3)
A few conclusions can be drawn from this:
1) While similar, the UCP and NDP still substantively differ in how they approached rolling out this interim supply bill, at least with respect to libraries (4)
2) It seems reasonable to conclude that 75% shortly after the election + 25% in September = no reasonable expectation of a cut (i.e. 2015), while 50% in August = maybe we should be worried (5)
3) Given that libraries were on the chopping block recently in other provinces (who's governments the current Alberta government often aligns with), it's reasonable to ask questions about what's coming down the pipe re: library cuts here in #abpoli (6)
4) Given that libraries offer a SPECTACULAR return on investment, and cost very little in the grand scheme of government expenditures (see lrs.org/data-tools/pub…, US data but still interesting), it's reasonable to speak out in opposition to *anticipated* cuts (7)
5) The political cover a Blue Ribbon Panel gives can be great, but this case shows how it's not a fail-safe political strategy. Albertans seem to worried about what's on the cut list; until that Panel reports, the gov't is going to be dealing with worries like this (8)
6) It is reminiscent of the NDP's royalty review, and I don't remember that going super duper well for them. So, it'll be interesting to see just how good/not good the Blue Ribbon Panel is for the UCP (9)
7) In any event, Albertans are spooked about potential cuts, and given the differences in how those interim supply bills were presented between 2015 and 2019, I can't say I blame them for asking worried questions (fin)

#abpoli #ableg
Missing some Tweet in this thread?
You can try to force a refresh.

Like this thread? Get email updates or save it to PDF!

Subscribe to Melanee Thomas
Profile picture

Get real-time email alerts when new unrolls are available from this author!

This content may be removed anytime!

Twitter may remove this content at anytime, convert it as a PDF, save and print for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video

1) Follow Thread Reader App on Twitter so you can easily mention us!

2) Go to a Twitter thread (series of Tweets by the same owner) and mention us with a keyword "unroll" @threadreaderapp unroll

You can practice here first or read more on our help page!

Follow Us on Twitter!

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!


This site is made by just three indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3.00/month or $30.00/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!