1) Through literalist textualism
2) Through the bāṭin (inner esoteric meanings)
3) Through speculative rationalism
It's important to note that these three ways mostly coexisted within the Islamic world.
An Atharī will generally argue that #God has a face as one of his physical attributes, cause He describes it in the Qur'an. The modal reality of the face is known to God alone (tafwīḍ al-kayfiyya), but it's lexical reality should be attested.
- Ḥanbalī Atharī, like Ibn Qudāma al-Maqdisī
- Ḥanbalī Ashʿarī, like Ibn al-Jawzī
- Ḥanbalī Ṣūfī, like ʿAbdullāh Anṣārī