, 7 tweets, 5 min read Read on Twitter
“Americans have retained their illusions of freedom.”

Among liberal to progressive folks it’s ofc often those with the most wealth and power, who will be last to feel real consequences from U.S. authoritarianism, who cling most tightly to the illusion.

#MondayMorning #Resist
This is what we’re up against when it comes to trying to get major press outlets like @nytimes and @washingtonpost, to say nothing of cable news, to stop normalizing extremism. And a related barrier is that we’re not used to viewing any large group of Christians critically.
White evangelicals are Trump’s key base. 80% of them 45 and older rate Trump favorably. 60% aged 18-44 do as well, and a good chuck of the other 40% in that age demographic will vote for him in 2020 anyway. Mark my words.

fivethirtyeight.com/features/could…

#exvangelical #EmptyThePews
As @EdOverbeek often points out, we’ve got to get the press to start calling America in its current state authoritarian, and we should support the rare writers for major outlets like @ThePlumLineGS who don’t shy away from the word.



#MondayMotivation
But we also need to understand the power of (particularly white) #christianprivilege and the way it shield’s Trump’s evangelical and rad trad Catholic supporters from serious criticism. We must reject Christian moral supremacism.

playboy.com/read/the-gospe…

#EmptyThePews #Resist
That rejection of Christian moral supremacism must influence the press to matter. I know many of you don’t like to hear it, but this means giving up the #FakeChristians framing. Real Christians can and do commit atrocities. Here’s an array of terms you can use to describe them:
You can also demand journalists include ex-evangelical and critical intellectual perspectives when covering right-wing Christians. And if you have the means, you can support the work of these voices financially (patreon.com/cstroop). Thanks to all who support me!

End thread.
Missing some Tweet in this thread?
You can try to force a refresh.

Like this thread? Get email updates or save it to PDF!

Subscribe to Chrissy Stroop
Profile picture

Get real-time email alerts when new unrolls are available from this author!

This content may be removed anytime!

Twitter may remove this content at anytime, convert it as a PDF, save and print for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video

1) Follow Thread Reader App on Twitter so you can easily mention us!

2) Go to a Twitter thread (series of Tweets by the same owner) and mention us with a keyword "unroll" @threadreaderapp unroll

You can practice here first or read more on our help page!

Follow Us on Twitter!

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!


This site is made by just three indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3.00/month or $30.00/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!