If exercises were all it took to FIX foot posture, why doesn't everyone have feet with lovely arches from doing 20 simple things?
Let's also suck parents in with a cute photo, & guilt them into doing something that they'll fail.
Flat feet is a condition...um nope. Flat feet are an appearance. Millions of people, adults & children from all races, weights, tall, short, heavier & skinnier can have flat feet.
It's an appearance and no more a condition than blue eyes.
In which your feet touch the ground...even high arched feet touch the ground.
Next bit is correct:
Could be painless or painful, from injury or older age (now puzzled why the photo is of an infant in the promotion of this article)?
Signs & symptoms are rare...again correct. So why call it a condition???
Next subtitle of: Do exercises for flat feet work?
And here comes the kicker, a story of a lady who did them and it worked for her (rare, but possible I guess, not seen it but still possible).
Studies have also proven...yeah nah. They haven't. This is the hook to suck you in that you to read on
1. Short foot exercise. These are exercises for intrinsic foot muscles. Proven beneficial for foot pain & falls prevention, but no long term arch change.
2. Calf stretch. Again, yeah, nah. No impact on feet because stretching doesn't work like that.
3. Soleus stretch. Firstly, it's part of the calf. Did I mention the author wasn't a health professional? Nor seems to have content checked. See above!
4. Toe yoga. I don't even understand. I thinking it's like stretching. Might feel nice. No idea how it will change the arch.
5. Stair heel raises. Hanging off edge of a stair, raise &...DON'T do if you are older, carrying more weight etc. Great way to snap an Achilles.
6. Heel raises. Huh? It's like a safer version of the stairs. Will make calves strong. Won't change your arch.
7. Towel toe curls. See number 1. Same exercise.
8. Plantar fascia stretch. This makes no sense, it really helps the arch shape, stretches won't help.
9. Towel stretch. A sitting version of No 2. Still doesn't work if you are sitting down.
10. Single leg stand. No idea what they think it will do. You do this every day to put your undies on. If you do that & still have flat feet...umm?
11. Toe spreads. See No 4, still confused.
12. Can roll. Oh yeah, often feels great. no idea how this will give you an arch. Makes no logical sense.
13. Point your toes. This is just moving your foot down. Your muscles are meant to work like this. It's called moving.
14. Toe stand pose. This is also known as the Tree Yoga Pose and even yoga teachers talk about it being good for balance and core strength. Noone talks about feet.
15. Tennis ball foot massage. Ummm, see 12.
16. Pick up marbles. See 1 & 7.
17. Toe extensor stretch. Not talking about stretches and foot arches again. NOT HAPPENING.
18. Toe raises. See 5 & 6, won't work either.
19. Toe running. If you aren't a toe walker, I'm not a sports pod but you'll probs need one if you start doing this for your arches.