Susan Simpson Profile picture
Jun 19, 2020 19 tweets 6 min read Read on X
In honor of Juneteenth, a brief story about the America that almost was.

I was at the Federal Archives once, searching for a very different document, when I came across a stack of papers titled "Joint Resolutions Proposing Amendments to the Constitution of the United States."
The words "Article 13" were underlined on the page below.

"Oh wow," I thought. "An original draft resolution for the 13th Amendment." I was kind of surprised they had just left it lying around with a bunch of totally unrelated documents.

Then I kept reading.
"Article 13. The right of property in the labor of any person lawfully held to service in the States [ ], ... shall not be abolished or impaired by Congress[ ]; and the United States shall protect all rights of property wherever federal jurisdiction extends."
It was the original 13th Amendment, introduced in January of 1861.

A version of it was passed by both the House and Senate by a two-thirds vote. It was signed by President Buchanan, and the states began to ratify it. Then it stalled out, due to the whole Civil War thing.
The Amendments That Almost Were did not get better from there.

The 14th Amendment: "The power to regulate commerce ... shall not be construed to authorize Congress to make any law impairing the right of the Master to remove from one State to another persons held to service[.]"
Congress drafted these amendments in order to preserve what they believed were important Constitutional rights — through these amendments, they would ensure that Americans "shall not be deprived of the right of property in the service or labor of any person."
The would-be 16th Amendment would have imposed harsh penalties on any state interfering with slavery: "If any state shall enact ... any law impairing [the Fugitive Slave Act] such state shall not be entitled to any representation in Congress [ ] until the the repeal of such law."
And then there's the would-be 17th Amendment, in which the Senate would be divided into two classes — the slave-state class and the non-slave-state class — and "a majority of the vote of each class shall be necessary to the passage of the presiding motion, bill or resolutions."
And to ensure the slavery question would be forever settled, one last amendment was needed.

The 18th Amendment: "The provisions of ... the several amendments to this Constitution, numbered Articles 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17, shall forever be unalterable."

There'd be no going back.
To the proponents of these amendments, what they sought was no more than the preservation of the Union as it had always been, and had always been intended to be: "We ask nothing but that which is in the Constitution itself. The Constitution [ ] recognizes slaves as property."
The idea that "all men are created equal" had literally meant *all* men was "too absurd to talk about. The men of the Revolution were white men… It was all they meant; it was all they intended; it was all that was understood by any man then living to have been intended by it."
As Sen. Wigfall, TX, noted: "What is the fact as to Massachusetts? Why, on the 18th of July, 1776, they published the Declaration of Independence in the Boston Gazette; and, before God, they published an advertisement for a runaway negro, and offered another for sale. [Laughter]"
In the end, these six proposed amendments would not pass in their entirety, because the Northern states could not accept the parts that expanded slavery to new states – thereby upsetting the balance of power with the South.

But the other parts, the North was willing to accept.
In the end, a compromise 13th Amendment was agreed on: "No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will [ ] give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, w/in any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service[.]"
Some in Congress did raise objections to the would-be 13th Amendment – for instance, there was an intense debate over the amendment's awkward phrasing and questionable grammar.

Some thought such terrible grammar would be a bad example to set for children.
But as Senator Baker explained in eloquent remarks before the Senate, the 13th Amendment was "not well written, but well meant." A little bad English could be accepted.

Seven months later, Senator Baker – one of President Lincoln's closest friends – would be killed in battle.
Because the would-be 13th Amendment wasn't enough to stop the war. The Northern states were willing to amend the Constitution to offer permanent protection for slavery, if it would keep the Union together. But the 13th wasn't enough for the South to feel secure; they wanted more.
Besides, it was probably already too late, anyway. It took several weeks for the would-be 13th Amendment to make its way through the House and Senate, and to secure a two-thirds vote from each, and by then, seven of the Southern states had already seceded.
(Plus, many in the South were skeptical of the scheme's core component: an amendment that says it can never be unamended.

For the South, a permanent guarantee of protection for slavery was a must-have. Not all were convinced this bit of Constitutional judo would really hold up.)

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Susan Simpson

Susan Simpson Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @TheViewFromLL2

Aug 8, 2023
A Southwest flight attendant was fired after sending harassing messages to colleagues via Facebook, including videos of aborted fetuses. She sued for discrimination, arguing that her "religious beliefs require her to share with others that abortion is the taking of a human life."
She won $5.1 million.

The court also ordered Southwest "to inform [] flight attendants that, under Title VII, [Southwest] may not discriminate against [employees] for their religious practices and beliefs."

But in its email, Southwest wrote "does not" instead of "may not": Image
Read 8 tweets
Feb 27, 2023
If you listened to the @Undisclosedpod series on Jeff Titus, you learned a lot about how the criminal justice system can get things wrong.

But Jeff's release from prison last week shows how — sometimes, eventually — the system gets things right.
In 2012, @UofMInnocence took up Jeff's case. For over a decade now, Dave Moran and a small army of student attorneys have worked diligently on his behalf.

Then in 2019 @MIAttyGen @dananessel took office, and announced the formation of a statewide Conviction Integrity Unit.
@UofMInnocence @MIAttyGen @dananessel Michigan's CIU did not have the easiest start, as the pandemic struck pretty much immediately after the fledging unit was formed. But in 2021, the Michigan CIU became the very first statewide CIU to exonerate a wrongly convicted defendant.
Read 8 tweets
Dec 8, 2022
After nearly 26 years in prison, the judicial system has finally acknowledged that Lee Clark and Cain Josh Storey are innocent.

Their convictions have been overturned – and we're on the way to the jail now to pick them up. @proofcrimepod
Unfortunately, the prison is saying it's too late in the day to book them out.

They're free men now. But they may have to spend one last night behind bars.
Serious request: any chance there's someone out there with GDC contacts they can reach out to? They have everything needed to get this done and have Lee and Josh released right now, we just need someone at GDC who is willing to process it.
Read 4 tweets
Dec 3, 2022
Okay well add trying to figure out what the removed tweets were to my list of life regrets.
Dick pics. Lots and lots of dick pics.
The poor Biden campaign staffer who was given the job of tracking down each and every photo of Hunter's junk on Twitter
Read 4 tweets
Nov 30, 2022
True story: I grew up in the house of the guy who was murdered by Colombian drug smugglers because his business partner tried to steal 880 lbs. of cocaine from them, only for the heist to go awry, leading to the stolen drugs being found and consumed by Cocaine Bear
I was researching the guys involved in Cocaine Bear's origin story because they had tangential connections to an @Undisclosedpod case I was working on. And while looking into the guy who got murdered, I discovered that the house he lived in had been sold.......to my parents.
@Undisclosedpod My parents moved in a couple months after the guy, David Williams, was killed (along with 16 other people who were on the plane with him).

I asked my dad if he knew who they'd bought the house from. No, he said. Then I asked if they'd noticed anything weird when they moved in.
Read 6 tweets
Nov 16, 2022
When you're losing even the QAnon vote... Image
Oh honey. Image
It takes SO LITTLE to keep these folk as loyal lapdogs that it's notable just how few bread crumbs Trump threw out to them.

That speech was intentionally not directed at either the QAnon or the r/the_Donald crowd. So who the hell was it directed at? Image
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(