ozbob13 Profile picture
13 Sep, 19 tweets, 9 min read
Katamatite railway was built as a tramway from Dookie opened 1890. Two years later VR took over the line, upgraded to normal VR standards.
Shepparton to Dookie VR railway was opened in 1888.
Dookie to Katamatite was closed in 1987.
The Argus Thu 15 May 1890 Page 4
Opening of the tramway (correctly described in the text).
Yarrawonga Council purchased from VR this loco, a carriage & six trucks for the tramway.
This loco was the first passenger engine purchased by VR, built in 1857 as 2-2-2 #1 converted to 2-4-0 1871 old V class. Worked the tramway returned to VR 1893 #528.
Shepparton - Katamatite 1928 timetable.
Note: Rail Motor (second class only).
The Rail Motor ...
Cosgrove Railway Station 1936.
Lost Dookie facebook.com/lostdookie/pho…
Converted Dodge automobile known as Passenger Mail Motor (PMM). Known as ' Tiger '
Walkabout.Vol. 5 No. 4 (1 February 1939)
continuation of the article referenced previously
Dookie crushed stone loading point.
Steam traction power!
Lost Dookie
Derailment at Dookie in 1964
Lost Dookie
T342 withdrawn 1989 and is now preserved > vicsig.net/index.php?page…
Up St Kevin's College Railway Club Special 56 RM 29 MT
Weston Langford 18 April 1959
Katamatite Y 123
Weston Langford 3 May 1975
Katamatite Looking towards Dookie
Weston Langford 3 May 1975
Dookie Station looking towards Katamatite
Weston Langford 11 July 1998
Line closed 1987.
Katamatite Up AREA Special Y 123
Weston Langford 3 May 1975
Y129. Yabba North
Les Brown 1970
Dookie c. 1931
Lost Dookie
Dookie Rail Trail
Dookie to Yabba South
Shepparton to Dookie was suspended in 2007.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with ozbob13

ozbob13 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!


Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

  2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ozbob13

25 Sep
Waverley Road station
Opened on 3 Mar 1890 as 'Waverley' on the section between Burnley - Oakleigh stations, renamed on 23 Jun 1890.
Became a junction on 30 May 1890 when the line from Camberwell opened. Closed Dec 1895.

Network 1890
vrhistory.com/VRMaps/Vic1890… Image
Waverley Road was on the Outer Circle line. The station was about 120 meters south of Waverley Road.
The former ROW for the outer circle line can be seen on the google map image. The other diagram was done in 1907 for a land sale.
handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/169573 ImageImage
Aerial view of East Malvern and Chadstone c. 1930
The former outer circle line, Black Bridge, and the old line from Darling can be seen. Waverley Road station area can be discerned. The Glen Waverley line goes across west to east. Image
Read 12 tweets
24 Sep
Mont Park branch line ~ 1 mile long.
The main line connection was at the up (Melbourne) end of Macleod station.
Opened 1911 and closed 1964. Goods only line, sparked in 1928. Line was built to service the Mont Park Asylum complex, construction funded by the Health Department. Image
1914 agreement was reached with Defence Dept for use of the Mont Park site for a military hospital. 16 Aus Gen Hosp was established. 1915 wounded from Gallipoli admitted, travelling by train from Port Melbourne.

Nursing staff and patients Mont Park
flickr.com/photos/2581669… Image
Read 14 tweets
24 Sep
Good Morning Kew!
The Kew line branched from Hawthorn, station at Barker and then Kew. Single line 1.5 miles long. Opened 1887, officially closed 1957. Sparked 1922.

Map of the railway from Morgan's Street Directory 1938.
members.ozemail.com.au/~telica/The%20… Image
Kew line profile
'The gradients and curves diagram for the line from the 1919 VR Gradients & Curves book. The original name for Barker station was Barkers Road.'
members.ozemail.com.au/~telica/The%20… Image
Read 16 tweets
24 Sep
Spring Vale Cemetery railway branched from the Dandenong line just past (down) Spring Vale station. Was ~ 1.2 miles (1.9 km) in length. Opened 1904 closed officially 1951. Sparked 1922.
Spring Vale was changed to Springvale 1955.

1930 network diagram
vrhistory.com/VRMaps/Vic1930… Image
Plan of the line
The loop at the Cemetery was not built. Image
Diagram of the Spring Vale Cemetery station.
victorianrailways.net/signaling/comp… Image
Read 12 tweets
23 Sep
Good Morning Ballarat East!
East Ballarat Town Council was amalgamated with Ballarat West Town Council in 1921 to become the City of Ballarat.
Ballarat East railway station opened 1860s, shortly after Ballarat West (now Ballarat).
Track layout Ballarat 1913
Read 14 tweets
23 Sep
The Alvie branch left the Port Fairy railway just west of Colac and headed north to Alvie. The line was around 10 miles long, opened 1923 closed 1954. Alvie was suited to grazing, dairying and vegetable-growing, particularly potatoes and onions.
Colac - Alvie 1928 timetable
A passenger carriage was attached to the three weekly goods trains. After 1930 due to low number of passengers, they travelled in the guards van.
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us on Twitter!