ozbob13 Profile picture
13 Sep, 15 tweets, 8 min read
Benalla to Tatong branch line opened in 1914.
Closed from the Oil Sidings to Tatong in 1947.
Benalla to the Oil Sidings closed in 1988.
The first train to Tatong 1914
Locomotive appears to be an Ry 0-6-0
The former Tatong station a few years after closure.
P G Dow 1950
Oil Sidings Tatong Line Looking towards Tatong
Weston Langford 29 December 1977
Oil Sidings Tatong Line AREA Special 56 RM Looking towards Tatong
Weston Langford 29 December 1977
Lima station
Public Record Office Victoria wiki.prov.vic.gov.au/index.php/VPRS…
Not dated ? c. 1920s
LIMA EXTERIOR VIEW OF SHELTER SHED - Public Record Office Victoria wiki.prov.vic.gov.au/index.php/VPRS…
LIMA STATION MASTERS RESIDENCE FRONT VIEW - Public Record Office Victoria wiki.prov.vic.gov.au/index.php/VPRS…
On March 11th 2006, the Tatong Railway Precinct was unveiled.
Tatong Heritage Group
There are 4 signs marking the station sites on the Benalla-Tatong railway line.
A replica of the timber tramway log bogie was put on display. Used to cart logs from the Tatong hills to the sawmill, then to cart the sawn timber from the sawmills to the railway.
Benalla 1914
The line to Tatong is off to the bottom right.
Benalla Ensign Fri 5 Feb 1943 Page 2
'Removal of Turntable at Tatong Railway Station'
The writing was on the wall. VR removed the turntable and a portion of the goods platform. Line closed 1947. Residents opposed the removal trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/arti…
Tatong looking towards end of track along alignment of No 3 Road opposite platform
Weston Langford 21 July 2001

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with ozbob13

ozbob13 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!


Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

  2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ozbob13

23 Sep
Good Morning Ballarat East!
East Ballarat Town Council was amalgamated with Ballarat West Town Council in 1921 to become the City of Ballarat.
Ballarat East railway station opened 1860s, shortly after Ballarat West (now Ballarat).
vrhistory.com/VRMaps/Vic1930… Image
Track layout Ballarat 1913
victorianrailways.net/signaling/comp… Image
Read 14 tweets
23 Sep
The Alvie branch left the Port Fairy railway just west of Colac and headed north to Alvie. The line was around 10 miles long, opened 1923 closed 1954. Alvie was suited to grazing, dairying and vegetable-growing, particularly potatoes and onions.
victorianrailways.net/grades/alviema… Image
Colac - Alvie 1928 timetable
A passenger carriage was attached to the three weekly goods trains. After 1930 due to low number of passengers, they travelled in the guards van. Image
Read 12 tweets
22 Sep
Good Morning Skipton!
Branch line running south west from Ballarat to the town of Skipton
Newtown - Linton opened 1890
Linton - Skipton opened 1916
Closed Newtown - Skipton 1986 ImageImage
Grade profile Linton Junction to Skipton
victorianrailways.net/grades/lintonj… Image
Skipton - construction diagram 1916
53' turntable and engine shed provided Image
Read 17 tweets
22 Sep
Maldon to Shelbourne opened 1891. The line was planned to extend 8 miles (13 km) beyond Shelbourne to Laanecoorie. Work on that section was suspended in 1890, even though initial works had been done.
Maldon to Shelbourne closed 1969 after bush fires.
vrhistory.com/VRMaps/Vic1930… Image
Castlemaine to Maldon opened in 1884.
Due to the facing junction of the Shelbourne extension, when services to Shelbourne reached Maldon, the locomotives changed ends in order to run from there to Shelbourne.
victorianrailways.net/grades/maldon/… Image
Due to the proximity of Maldon station to Mount Tarrengower, the railway could not be extended from the station and a junction was created ~ 1km on the Castlemaine side of Maldon.

Special to Shelbourne at Shelbourne junction 1968
Line to Shelbourne right Image
Read 18 tweets
21 Sep
The Stawell to Grampians railway was first used in 1882. Built to transport stone from the Mt Difficult Heatherlie “Grampians freestone” quarry to Stawell for local use and transport to Melbourne and elsewhere. Last train 1942 officially closed 1949.
The railway was sometimes referred as a 'tramway'. Light rail was used, 50lb, compared to the usual 60lb or better for most VR branch lines.

Line profile Stawell to Grampians
Picnic trains from Stawell were run on occasion in the early days.
A regular timetabled passenger service was not provided.

Illustrated Australian News Wed 25 Nov 1885 Page 203
Read 13 tweets
21 Sep
When you could travel by rail from Nambour to Coolum

'Passenger train on the line between Coolum and Nambour, ca 1925'
'Eudlo' locomotive with passenger carriages at the Coolum tramline terminus, ca 1926 sunshinecoast.spydus.com/cgi-bin/spydus…
Eudlo 0-6-0 was built Fowler 1924 2' gauge
Moreton Central Sugar Mill Co, Tank Locomotive "Eudlo", Moreton Mill, Nambour Qld, [1950s]
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us on Twitter!