Reilly Chase Profile picture
Sep 14, 2020 20 tweets 8 min read Read on X
✅ 0 - 10 customers
✅ 10 - 100 customers
✅ 100 - 1,000 customers
⏳ 1,000 - 10,000 customers

I made it to 1,000 customers mostly with short-term sales tactics, and if you're micro-SaaS, maybe you can too

(thread 👇)
Here's the short-term vs. long-term marketing strategies in the article above which we're using today (at 1,082 subscribers)

I put a 🤔 next to things I used to do personally until I hired. Now we both do them manually. Not sure if that counts as short or long-term strategy?
You can see the only long-term plan listed there that we're using is SEO... and by SEO I mean we're in such a small niche that we landed top result for most related search terms ~6months after launching and have held it since, without any effort on our part like blogging
In this thread, I revealed most of my marketing strategies for finding new customers. Other than affiliate marketing or FB group sponsorship, they're not very scalable. They're very "short-term" sales methods
Even with seemingly long-term strategies like SEO, affiliate marketing, and FB group sponsorships, I've never developed a truly scalable marketing system - the kind where I can put more money down or people on it and it reliably outputs X dollars for every X dollar I put in.
I'm always envious of businesses that found that gas pedal, or have built-in virality like "Powered by" links or chat apps where new users are mainly acquired by existing users...
But the one thing I've found that can impact the viral coefficient for my business is actually related to a "short-term"/ difficult to scale strategy:

Telling my story, meeting one IT business owner at a time, giving away some of my best tricks, free UniFi advice/ support
I've met with hundreds of business owners to do demos over Zoom, helped thousands of people with Ubiquiti stuff in live chats, screenshare, and on the phone
It's not just our own customers or leads, I also regularly jump on a call or Zoom if I see I can help anyone out with a Ubiquiti related issue. Anyone can book me calendly.com/reillychase
"When referred by a friend, people are 4x more likely to purchase"

The 'one weird trick' I found for getting referrals is building legitimate relationships, one at a time

Everyday I'm making friends with the right people - IT business owners and people who serve them
How do I build legitimate relationships with people I want to sell to or I want to refer for me?

Just like any other - by discussing shared interests. In my case, almost all of my customers and I have shared interests in at least 2 things - #Ubiquiti and entrepreneurship
I don't have the typical "refer a friend and get X" program, currently we don't incentivize referrals at all actually, and our affiliate program is invite-only. I don't even ask for referrals. Yet somehow our growth is heavily referral driven...
Why do people refer is a complicated question, but I love @ryanckulp's blog post "Anatomy of Referral Marketing" on the subject, good read if you want to really optimize for it: ryanckulp.com/anatomy-of-ref…
I'd rate @hostifi_net as right in the middle on quality paradox, polymath, and shareability though. Sharing your new UniFi hosting provider is not a "look at me I'm smart and rich" thing like sharing that you bought a Micro Acquisitions course can be...
But also: "People do business with people they know, like, and trust"

I bought Ryan's course for those reasons, and I recommended it because it was good and it can be useful for others (and with no affiliate link because that's not my style)

People only get to know, like, or trust you when they've seen you around others, met with, or talked to you directly, over time.

That happens by growing your personal and professional networks slowly, intentionally, one person at a time. Transparency, building in public helps.
See also: Rule of 7
"...one of the oldest concepts in marketing. The rule of seven simply says that the prospective buyer should hear or see the marketing message at least seven times before they buy it from you."
Reciprocity Marketing
Another factor that drives referrals in my business is the reciprocity concept. That is, when you do something big for someone and expect nothing in return, they naturally want to find a way to pay it back.
When we help people with Ubiquiti stuff for free we're planting reciprocity marketing seeds. Even if that person never becomes a customer, they might refer someone who does. I try to help as many people as I can whether they are a "good lead" or not.
Maybe one of these days I'm going to find that gas-pedal, and build a marketing machine that I can deploy capital into and get a higher return out of. But for now I'm sticking with my things that don't scale. It might be hard, slow, work, but at least it's free? 🤔

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Reilly Chase

Reilly Chase Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @_rchase_

May 20, 2022
We spent ~$70,000 and 9 months of dev time to put an "Add Domain" button in the @hostifi_net dashboard

Here's the story Image
We're managing over 2,000 VPS instances with 4,000+ domain SSLs that need to be renewed every 3 months (with @letsencrypt)

Over the years we built up internal tools and processes to simplify the SSL management Image
So when @yroc92 DM'd me in summer 2021 with an idea to make "an API for customer SSL management" I said it was a cool but we didn't need it because we have already built our own systems Image
Read 11 tweets
Mar 28, 2022
A friend gave me a deep dive on the sales team structure at a mostly bootstrapped $10M ARR SaaS business

Here's what I learned:
There are two main roles:

Account Executive
• Hunts for leads and moves inbound leads
• Closer (does meetings and follow ups)

Business Development Representative
• Hunts for leads or moves inbound leads
• Schedules meetings for AE to close
Pay:

BDR
• $40K base
• Inbound: $50 per meeting set and no commission on closes
• Outbound: $150 per (qualified) meeting set + 3% close commission

AE
• $50-60K base
• 10-18% closing commission
Read 5 tweets
Mar 26, 2022
How do I build a sales team?
The response to this was incredible. Thanks everyone!

Here's what I decided to get started with:

• Realized I need to create the sales process before building a team
• Signed up for @pipedrive
• Configured the integrations for Gmail, @intercom, @demodesk, and @aircall Image
I have one hire who does demos already, so we'll work together on next steps:

Phase 1 - Documenting, following up on demos inbound from the website

• Document each inbound demo as a "deal" in Pipedrive, moving it across the pipeline until it's either Won or Lost
Read 7 tweets
Mar 7, 2022
It took me 4 years to figure out how to build a business from $0 to $100K/year in 1 year
$0 to $100K/year in 1 year was the easy part

It wasn’t hard to stay motivated because I could see the incremental progress each month
The hard part was the 4 years before that, building up the skills required to go from $0 to $100K in 1 year but without seeing any progress
Read 7 tweets
Jan 7, 2022
I now own 1,024 public IPv4 addresses which are worth $60K

It took 3 months on ARIN's waitlist and it cost $500

I can do this a max of 3 more times, 90 days between each request

In the end: 1 year wait, $244K+ worth of IPs, only $2K in fees

Here's how
First, a brief history -

• 1960s APRANET invented TCP/IP
• 1980 IPv4 formalized with 4.2 billion addresses
• 1998 IPv6 created as a replacement with 340 undecillion addresses
• 2011-2015 All registries exhausted their IPv4 pools
• 2022 IPv4 blocks selling for $60/IP
Why not just use IPv6?

After almost 25 years, IPv6 only has 35% adoption.

If you only support IPv6 65% of the internet won't be able to reach you.
Read 22 tweets
Nov 8, 2021
The buy, borrow, die method of avoiding income tax isn't just for the ultra wealthy

Someone should write a handbook on this topic for the average American and small business owner

Here's what I've learned so far:
First, a short intro on what buy, borrow, die is:

1. Buy - or build an asset like a house, business, stock
2. Borrow - When it appreciates, instead of selling and paying income tax, get a loan against it
3. Die - Pass down assets, instead of cash, tax free
I'm only interested in buy and borrow right now, here are the criteria:

- The thing you bought needs to appreciate in value before you borrow against it
- Ideally, when borrowing, you invest the money in something else which appreciates faster than the loan's interest rate
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(