ozbob13 Profile picture
15 Sep, 16 tweets, 8 min read
Good Morning Wahgunyah!
The Wahgunyah branch line left the NE line at Springhurst and ran northwards to the Murray River. Opened in 1879, services suspended in 1995. Passenger services withdrawn on 13 April 1962. This was the last mixed train service to operate in Victoria.
D3 635 on Springhurst-Wahgunyah mixed train
c. 1940s
Springhurst - Wahgunyah 1928 timetable
Springhurst layout 1950.
Junction for the Wahgunyah branch (top right)
The Wahgunyah mixed shortly after leaving Springhurst.
P G Dow 1950
Wahgunyah Line at Black Dog Creek Down Car Goods (mixed train)
D3 Class
Weston Langford 27 May 1960
Springhurst to Wahgunyah grade profile
Station and yard at Wahgunyah 1956
Andrew Blair
K184 with a special train in the goods shed at Wahgunyah
Andrew Blair 1973
The Railway Station Rutherglen c. 1910
viewer.slv.vic.gov.au/?entity=IE5219… via @Library_Vic
Locomotive T 125
0-6-0 built Beyer Peacock Manchester 1873
Black & white photos of Y169 from Springhurst to Wahgunyah and return on Thursday 2 October 1986
Post by @danielbowen
'The old railway line to Rutherglen and Wahgunyah'
2 December 2013
Wahgunyah Up 'Lil Red' No 1 and trailer
Weston Langford 28 Dec 2002
After closure 'Green TRail Associates Group' operated a trolley service between Wahgunyah & Rutherglen for a number of years, known as the 'Stringybark Express - Lil Red Postal Motor'.
Rutherglen to Wahgunyah is now a rail trail

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with ozbob13

ozbob13 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!


Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

  2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ozbob13

20 Sep
Good Morning Forrest!
Branched off at Birregurra, and ran through the foothills of the Otway Ranges to the town of Forrest.
Open to Deans Marsh on 19 Dec 1889, to Forrest on 5 Jun 1891. Line closed 1957. Image
Birregurra layout 1947 - junction for the Forrest branch
victorianrailways.net/signaling/comp… Image
Read 15 tweets
20 Sep
Yarra Junction was on Warburton line.
Opened 1901 closed 1965. Town was originally known as Little Yarra Junction, 2km east where Little Yarra River joins Yarra River. Yarra Junction was also the junction for the 3' gauge Powelltown tramway 1913-45.
Lilydale to Warburton line profile
Yarra Junction Railway Station picture viewer.slv.vic.gov.au/?entity=IE7207… via @Library_Vic 1910
Original station building was replaced in 1914 with the former building at Lilydale station, following new station building at Lilydale.
Loco Y class?
Read 11 tweets
19 Sep
Good Morning Gembrook!
Gembrook terminal station on the VR narrow gauge (2' 6" gauge) railway from Upper Ferntree Gully. Opened 1900 closed 1954. Subsequently re-opened 1998 Puffing Billy Railway - Belgrave to Gembrook.
"Railway station, Gembrook" viewer.slv.vic.gov.au/?entity=IE40505 via @Library_Vic
c. 1900 not long after opening
Gembrook layout in VR operation.
Read 13 tweets
19 Sep
Poonboon (later known as Stony Crossing) railway.
Kerang to Murrabit opened 1924. Murrabit to Poonboon NSW 1928. Constructed as part of the Border Railways Act 1922.
Combined rail/road bridge at Gonn Crossing on Murray River was opened on 1 July 1926
The Corowa Free Press (NSW)
Tue 27 Mar 1928 Page 3
Line profile Kerang to Stony Crossing
A turning triangle was provided at Stony Crossing
Line was flat, down and up permitted loads equal.
Read 21 tweets
18 Sep
Good Morning Darling ! 😘
Darling opened 1890 on the Burnley to Waverley Road line connecting with outer circle railway. Line beyond Darling closed in 1895
Burnley to Darling sparked 1922
Extended to East Malvern 1929, Glen Waverley 1930.
1890 vs 1900
Darling to Burnley shuttle at Darling c. 1915
Loco E 354 2-4-2T built Phoenix Ballarat 1889.
Darling layout 1929.
Karnak was changed to East Malvern 1929.
Read 19 tweets
17 Sep
Good Morning Mortlake!
The Mortlake railway branched of the main Port Fairy railway at Terang and ran northwards to Mortlake.
Line officially opened 1890, closed 1978.
VR Network map of the area 1930, 1890.
Koonendah station was closed 1891.
Terang - Mortlake timetable 1928
Read 16 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us on Twitter!