'View of Dublin Bay' by Thomas Snagg (1746-1812). The accompanying note says that this depicts the view from the window of the Trinity College Rowing Club, Ringsend, before the visit of George IV to Dublin.
Map of Ringsend, 1777. This reflects the layout until well into the 1800s. The Rowing Club was situate on Thorncastle Street which is the long street running up to Ringsend Point. Zoom in on the map here (section 5)
As always with Snagg's paintings, the detail is lovely and very humorous. Waving bathers (male? this may be the Men's Baths) with parasoled ladies and children in bathing costumes looking on.
Changing huts, an amorous couple and a bosomy lady to the left. There also seems to be a girl mending nets. There is a copy of the painting in the Frick Digital Photoarchive which permits zoom (search for 'Snagg') digitalcollections.frick.org/?_ga=2.2083207…
That looks like the village of Irishtown on the far right of Snagg's painting. Here's an 1823 view of Irishtown from the opposite side by James Arthur O'Connor (1792-1841). It's the village in the far distance (the foreground, with more bathing huts, is Sandymount).
Originally Irishtown had a village green looking out onto what was then strand. Every year, the waxies (cobblers) of Dublin used to come to this green to picnic. There's still a pub in Irishtown known as the Merry Cobbler.
The part of the green where the cobblers gathered became known as the Waxies' Dargle (the Dargle was a popular beauty spot in Wicklow, supposed to be too expensive for poor cobblers to travel to). The location is now Bayview, Pembroke St, Irishtown. See commemoration stone.
The only remnant of Ringsend and Irishtown Strand that survives today is the street names. Strand Street as shown on this map marks the original line of the strand.
The linked book recounts a 'Battle of the Cats' which took place in 18c Irishtown. Residents awoke after a night of wails to find the Waxies' Dargle scattered with dead cats. Some had even come from Galway.
Cobblers used catgut as part of their trade! Were the Waxies to blame, or was the story made up by local residents to discredit them? Could Ringsend oral history hold the answer? And could this be the origin of the famous 'Kilkenny Cats' story?

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Ruth Cannon

Ruth Cannon Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!


Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

  2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @RuthCan75563366

18 Sep
What are figures in photographs but ghosts? Two men in Dickensian garb pose for the camera of Calvert Richard Jones in the graveyard of St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin (1840s-50s)
talbot.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/search/?utf8=%… Image
From Google Street View. The graveyard and St Patrick's Close bordering it still has a Victorian appearance today.
google.ie/maps/@53.33910… Image
Another view of St Patrick's Cathedral Cemetery, 1840s-50s. Four figures this time. Image
Read 11 tweets
15 Sep
'Killiney Sands' by Richard Thomas Moynan (1856-1906)
Whenever I hear of this beach I always think of the Howard family who kept a stall there for decades. They subsequently set up a newspaper delivery business and died in a terrible fire in 1974.
The cause of the fire still generates controversy.
The beautiful Howard children delivered newspapers in the actors' town of Dalkey. The year before the fire, one of them was 'discovered', flown to London and unsuccessfully screen-tested for a movie with Peter Sellers. Heartbreaking.
Read 6 tweets
14 Sep
This image of 1901 College Green by Richard Thomas Moynan is a nice change from the monochrome photographic images of this era! A unique record of early 20c civic colouring! Zoom here:

It must have been a dilemma for Dublin tram companies - what colour worked best against the grey on grey colouring of the city? Rich navy and buff look good in Moynan's picture. What would Trinity College's railings be like in these colours?
But would the tram colouring work as well today in the absence of other civic colours not now present - the red coats of the ever-present soldiers and the brown touches of the citizens' clothing? Not to mention the pink and white of their untanned complexions!
Read 6 tweets
10 Sep
This 1753 view of today's Collins' Barracks by Joseph Tudor, 5/6 in his Six Views of Dublin, shows the ready opportunities for rural reflection offered to the 18th century Dublin resident.
Zoom here: rct.uk/collection/702…
Malton's depiction of the same site c. 1800 shows little change.
This meadow on which animals happily graze was part of the St James' Gate site leased to Arthur Guinness in 1759 at £45 a year for 9000 years and is today covered by brewery buildings.

Read 7 tweets
8 Sep
This 1753 engraving of the old Customs House, Dublin, after a view by Joseph Tudor can now be viewed in minute detail at the Rijksmuseum website. The area depicted is today's Wellington Quay, Grattan Bridge and Ormond Quay Lower.

Zoom in here: rijksmuseum.nl/en/search/obje…
Built in 1707, the old Customs House on what is now Wellington Quay had a short shelf-life. Gandon's better-known Customs House downriver replaced it by the end of the century.
The old Essex Bridge shown here was completely replaced in 1753. In this close-up you can see the statue of George I which stood on the bridge.
Read 9 tweets
28 Aug
he Dublin Exhibition, Earlsfort Terrace, 1865.
Inspired by the earlier Leinster Lawn Exhibition of 1853, the purpose of the Exhibition was to showcase Irish fine arts, textiles, manufactured goods and raw materials.
A back view of the Dublin Exhibition building, Earlsfort Terrace, 1865. The 15 acre Exhibition site was supplied by Benjamin Guinness.

Click on the picture and the picture in the previous tweet to see larger versions.
Swaying crinolines in the upstairs picture gallery at the Dublin Exhibition, 1865. The galleries of the Exhibition building were stress-tested in advance by 600 soldiers!
Read 14 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us on Twitter!