Prof. Chris Headleand Profile picture
Sep 19, 2020 12 tweets 5 min read Read on X
Some ideas for online icebreakers (Teams Calls, Zoom etc).

1) "Post a GIF Response" Ask students a question that can be answered with a GIF. For example "Post a GIF that describes your hopes and dreams" - Really fun way to enable a little creativity and humour. [1/n]
2) "Top Tips" Ask everyone in the meeting for their top tip around a common subject. For example "Post a tip for cooking your favourite dish" [2/n]
3) "The Cup Game" get three cups, put an object under one of them. Take a photo of your three upturned cups and ask "which has the object hidden". give your students a few seconds to place their bets (polling apps useful) then share a photo showing which cup it was. [3/n]
4) "Pass the story" Start by writing the first sentence of a short story eg "Mike went to the shop". Then, (in alphabetical order, get your students to type into the chat, the next sentence of the story. Fun procedural generation activity. [4/n]
5) "Hands Down". Ask everyone to put their virtual hands up, then ask questions to get them to put their hands down. EG "put your hand down if your birthday is in June". Keep going until online one person has their hands up. [5/n]
6) "Who am I" Get your students to email one interesting/unique/boring fact about themself ahead of the first session. Read them out one by one and get people get guess who the fact is about. (make sure you tell the students what the facts will be used for!) [6/n]
7) "Marching Words Proverb" In alphabetical order ask your students to type one word each to create a random proverb starting with a word that you provide.

e.g. Students...Who...Eat...Cheese...Dance...Erratically [7/n]
8) "Share a Photo" ask everyone to share a photo of something that brings them joy. Be prepared for many a kitten/puppy picture. [8/n]
9) "Would you rather" create a quick poll, around a would you rather question and ask your students to vote. A would you rather question, is one like this.

"Would you rather fight off a horse sized duck, or 100 duck sized horses" [9/n]
10) "Emoji Hyroglyphs" Describe some films, superheros, etc using just emojis and get your students to guess what you are describing. For example...

🕷️👨 = Which superhero is this?
💒💒💒💒🧟‍♂️ = What film is this?
🤔👩 = Which superhero is this?
😱🎄🏡 = Which film is this?
11) "Group Playlist" Ask everyone in the group to contribute a song from YouTube to a group playlist. Get them to post the song in the chat, along with quick reasoning for why they included that song. (with thanks to @KaySocLearn)
12) "Where Am I?" set your zoom/teams background to a different location each session, get the students to guess where you are. (inspired by @MearWolf ) Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Prof. Chris Headleand

Prof. Chris Headleand Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ChrisHeadleand

Feb 18, 2022
People talk about pedagogic innovation like it’s a magic bullet that’s going to solve all education problems… it isn’t!

It’s also not a light switch you can just turn on and off on demand.

[A Rant Thread]
Firstly, innovation isn’t a solution, it’s a process. Innovation is the point between chaos and order where you explore novel ideas. It isn’t safe, it’s inherently unknown. It’s impossible to innovate without taking some risk…

[2/n]
Remember, not all new ideas are good. It would be novel to use cement as a sandwich filling… the “newness” of the idea doesn’t inherently give it value.

[3/n]
Read 11 tweets
Dec 31, 2021
To end the year, here are some of my favourite teaching tips. From planning, delivery, assessment, and pastoral care. These are written largely from a perspective of engagement, inclusion, and compassion. Recognising that all students are on different journeys. [thread]
[2/x] Planning / Recognise that the context of your subject changes every year. Even if you are teaching fundamental skills or subjects that are rooted in fundamental truths, your students change. Every new cohort comes with a different experience, and you need to respond to that
[3/x] Planning / Changes in pre-university education practices will significantly impact how students respond to your pedagogy. Students backgrounds in the subject will likely differ also as curricula get updated. Involving students in planning can help you tackle this challenge
Read 50 tweets
Dec 31, 2021
As 2021 ends, I've reflected on my year. Its been a challenging time, and like most people in the world, my family have been through some hard times during the pandemic. But, I want to end the year on a happy note. So these are some of the things I'm thankful for [thread]
I became a National Teaching Fellow. I actually applied for this in 2020, but just missed the cut. After a lot of hard work 2021, was my year. Getting the call from @dixxyD telling me I'd got it was amazing. So proud to join that prestigious community. [2/11]
I organised (with a lot of help) the @PracticalPed conference. Having over 800 people register, and over 600 attend - making it one of the largest TnL events of 2021. It was a great event, and a fabulous opportunity to share practice. looking forward to the next one! [3/11]
Read 11 tweets
Aug 20, 2021
Super pleased to announce the programme for #PracticalPedagogy1 . There will be three streams of talks for a full day of practical pedagogy.

chrisheadleand.com/practical-peda…

Please share with your colleagues and institutions. It is going to be great!
[thread]
The #PracticalPedagogy1 conference is the natural evolution of the @pedPancakes seminars, and it sits as part of that initiative. It will be a unique, fun, and fruity blend of academic development and knowledge exchange - all with in a friendly and supportive community [2/8]
You can register via the website, or directly on Eventbrite. lncn.ac/practical

Tickets are available on a "pay what you want" donation model. This is an experiment; there are a number of running costs, but we want to keep the event as inclusive as possible. [3/8]
Read 9 tweets
Aug 20, 2021
[Face to Face Apprehension Thread]

After 18 months teaching online I recently taught my first face to face "large" lecture as part of the @UniofLincolnSWC WOW summer school. Honestly, I had forgotten how much I loved delivering an in-person session. But it made me think [1/20]
Firstly, the student's were clearly apprehensive themselves. Many new students, will have spent much of the last two years online or in small isolated bubbles. University transition is challenging for most students, but next years will come with a unique experience [2/20]
Current students, will have had the vast majority of their university experience online. Many will find the transition back to majority face to face learning especially difficult and will need some support to make that transition. [3/20]
Read 21 tweets
Sep 20, 2020
A thread of threads. Going to create a super thread of all my teaching tips and videos to keep them all in one place. I’ll keep updating this over time. [1/n] Image
Student Engagement in the Blended Classroom - a thread capturing some thoughts, ideas and tips about how to support online student engagement

[2/n] Image
Pastoral Care in the Digital Classroom - pastoral care is going to be more important than ever with so much teaching moving online. I’ve thrown some thoughts and tips into this thread.

[3/n] Image
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(