How to get to ZERO income tax.

This will cover ANYONE in the WORLD.



Bookmark this, print it out, mark it up, don't try to get through it all today, and for f*ck's sake RT it so EVERYONE can benefit!!!

Section 1: The basics

Income tax is based on income

Your wealth, your sales, and your ad spend don't have income tax.

Your income/profit does, BUT not all income is taxable.

So first, if you want to get to ZERO income tax, you need to get to ZERO TAXABLE INCOME.
So how do you get to zero taxable income?

There are two ways.

Subject yourself to jurisdictions that do NOT tax income.


Only have income that your jurisdiction does NOT tax.
Let's give two examples of this:

1) There are countries that do not have income tax. If you are ONLY subject to that country's tax system, then make all the income you want.

2) Your country may not have income tax, BUT may not tax certain types of income. Load up on that.
Section 2: Who taxes you?

Let's get more advanced.

Every country has rules that determine if you are subject to their taxes.

Let's use a few countries as examples: The US, Canada, the UK, Australia, and Uruguay.
The US

In general, the US is the further reaching.

If you are a citizen of the US, if you make money anywhere, the US claims the right to tax it (if taxable income).

If you aren't a citizen, but a resident of the US and live in the Cayman for three months a year and make taxable income there, the US would tax it.

Key point here is a resident of the US can break residency and no longer have US tax - a US citizen will have to meet exceptions.
Canada/the UK/Australia

I'm putting these together because they are similar in who they tax.

All three of these countries tax the WORLDWIDE income of their residents.

You can break residency of any of these countries, while remaining a citizen, and no longer be taxed by them.
@lawrencekingyo has mentioned several times getting to zero income tax.

His first step would have been to break UK residency, but could remain a citizen.
So if you live in a country that taxes its residents on worldwide income, breaking residency may be key in getting to ZERO INCOME TAX.

So how do you break tax residency in one of these countries?

It's usually a fairly easy process: you move to a new country.

A "move" is subjective, but basically shift the big things in your life to a new country: immediately family, job/business, cars, where you get your mail.
There's also some rules about time you spend in the country you break residency from. You can usually visit, but not spend a ton of time there.

Let's say you UK/CAN/AUSTRALIA want to take this path of break residency. What next?

Hold that thought and I'll get back to you.
Let's move back to the US for a min.

Again, you can break residency, but the US is still going to tax you so what are the exceptions?

#1 FEIE - If you move to a foreign country, your first $107k and some of your housing costs can be EXEMPT from US income tax.
If you are under that threshold, then you are in the same boat as people in the UK/CAN/AUSTRALIA breaking residency.

What if you are above $107k? How do you get to zero?

First, think about this - if you are single making $150k in the US, you are probably paying $55k in tax!
So if you end up living in a low cost country, making $107k tax-free then you are much better off.

...but let's say you are a US citizen and you make $300k and you want to get to ZERO!
Honestly, it's tough, but you can get to 4% which is pretty damn close to ZERO from the 40%+ you might have been paying.

Section 933 of the US Tax Code literally says that if you are subject to US tax, but are a tax resident of Puerto Rico, the US won't tax your income!

Yeah, it's true.

So what's the 4%?

It's a reduced Puerto Rico tax that PR gives to foreign companies to setup shop in PR and service foreign markets.

4% on business income and 0% on dividends. Again, pretty close to ZERO.

Pretty amazing actually.
So those are the move scenarios if you are US:

US FEIE to get to zero US tax if you are under the $107k threshold. Pick up with UK/CAN/AUSTRALIA for Step 2.


Move to Puerto Rico and pay 4% if you have a qualifying business.

...and get to zero tax.
Step 2 - Back to UK/CAN/AUSTRALIA

So you've broken residency and are now no longer subject to your country's tax. Again, you can still be a citizen.

Now what?

Well, now find a country that won't tax you and take residency there.
There are two paths here:

1) Find a country with no income tax: Bahamas, Cayman, Monaco (THE LIST IS HUGE IF YOU GO LOW TAX).


2) Find a country that only taxes income earned in the country - TERRITORIAL - (Uruguay, Costa Rica, Panama, and several others).
ZERO Tax Countries

There are 15. Some might work for you. Some might not.

For many, these aren't the best options for a variety of reasons. They also aren't necessary to get to ZERO income tax, as you will see.

These countries tax income you earn in them, but not income you earn outside of them.

Setup residency here and don't make in money IN the country to get to ZERO income tax.
How do I not make taxable income IN the territorial country?

Two Ways:

1) Depends on the country, but in general, don't service businesses within the country or sell anything to anyone in the country. Get all your revenue/sales from outside.

2) Free-trade zones. Some countries utilize areas where if you follow certain rules, there is NO TAX.

Uruguay is a great example, right @lawrencekingyo?
Step 3

You have broken residency in your home country so you don't have tax there.

You have setup residency in a no tax/territorial country. If territorial, you aren't creating taxable income in the country.

Step 3 is don't create taxable income anywhere else.
Avoid Residency and Permanent Establishment

Avoid tax in non-resident countries by NOT doing the following:

1) Don't create residency in another country. Generally, don't stay more than 183 days in a year.

2) Don't get a job, have a office, or employees in another country.
On the second point - you can visit other countries and make internet sales to residents. You can also have contractors.

In general, just don't create a business presence in another country with a building or employees.

Also don't get a job or perform in person services.
In Summary - Moving for ZERO income tax

Break residency from your home country, setup residency in a no or territorial taxed country (don't have taxable income there), and don't create a business or stay more than 183 days in other countries, and you can get to ZERO INCOME TAX.
Okay, now, what if you don't want to move for zero income tax?

What if you want to stay in your country?

Remember in the beginning when I talked about taxable income?

Let's start with the US.
Certain income in the US is exempt from tax.

Make all this you want and get to ZERO INCOME TAX.


Real estate gain exclusion. Buy a house, move in, fix it, flip it, and pay no tax on the gain.

Municipal Bond interest - tax free.
Loan proceeds from whole life insurance - see @ChroniclesNate

Qualified ROTH IRA or 401(k) distributions.

If you can get your whole income portfolio to the above - it's easier than it sounds, then you can get to ZERO income tax while still living in the US.
Another way is deferral

There are a lot of things you can contribute you that defer taxes:

401k, IRA, HSA, etc...

but even bigger ones like a Solo 401k on your business that you can contribute $57k to and pay no income tax this year.
In fact, if you have multiple businesses, you could potentially defer $57k of tax for each and even contribute more to a pension plan - potentially deferring $150k of income!
The catch in using deferral to get to zero income tax is 1) most of us need money to live on. Unless that comes from tax exempt sources, whatever isn't deferred is taxed.
2) If you use deferral, you'll get taxed later. For this reason, I'm a big fan of paying tax now and using tax advantaged vehicles for getting to zero tax later - like ROTHs or Whole Life Insurance.
In other countries, the same applies above as in the US.

If you are in a country that has tax and you don't want to move to have ZERO tax - you have to find sources of income that are not taxed or you have to find tax-advantaged vehicles/wrappers to defer your tax.
This is a lot of information.

I've used the US as an example of a country that taxes citizens everywhere, but with key exceptions to move and get to zero income tax.

I've also used the US to show how you don't have to move and can use exempt income/deferral to get to zero tax.
I've used UK/CANADA/AUSTRALIA as examples of countries that only tax residents and how to move to get to zero income tax.

They also have exempt income and deferral strategies if you don't want to move.
I hope in all of this you have been inspired.

You have now seen that zero income tax is possible.

Even more importantly, you have seen that LOW TAX is possible and moreover, with proper planning, you can pay MUCH LESS TAX than you are paying now.
This was a lot of work.

There is no one you know that this thread would not benefit.

My DMs are always open to all.

Let's RT the f*ck out of this so EVERYONE CAN BENEFIT!!!
Correction. Should read:

2) Your country may have income tax, BUT may not tax certain types of income. Load up on that.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Patrick the Tax Advisor 🔥

Patrick the Tax Advisor 🔥 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!


Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

  2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @AskForTaxAdvice

9 Oct
You asked for this with 250 Likes!

As promised, here's how to avoid the NASTY situation with the IRS described below.

Don't fall prey to a sideways situations on an IRS AUDIT of your side hustle!

Step 1 - Use the right tax treatment on your transactions.

Learn some tax or hire someone.

I'm not promoting myself here because I'm not currently taking clients.

I don't tinker with my car's powertrain or grow my own penicillin to fight a sinus infection.

Hire a tax person.
It doesn't cost that much and they usually pay for themselves in stuff you would miss.

@DaveRamsey even says this and who is cheaper than him?!

If you just have to DIY, then learn some tax. Take a little course. Read a book. Not recommended, but might be better than nothing.
Read 17 tweets
27 Sep
Tax Loophole Alert!

Are you handy? Do you like interior design? Have you considered (or do you currently) flipping residential real estate?

Here's how to pay ZERO tax on your real estate flips!

Buy your fixer-upper house to flip.

Move in.

Make repairs and upgrades. Do whatever you do when you flip a house.

Stay exactly two years (or more).

Sell for a huge gain.

Pay $0 tax on the gain!

Repeat every two years.

It's called the home sale exclusion.
Think about it...

If your sole income is from flipping residential real estate, you could have a 0% tax rate (US).


Q: How many times can I do this?

A: Once every two years. No lifetime limit.

If this was valuable to you, please RT so your friends can see it, too.
Read 4 tweets
27 Sep
Tax Loophole Alert

Employ your child in your business.

Teach your child a skill and save $1,000s of tax per year!

If you own a business and there are jobs your child can do for it, employ them and pay them.

Your child gets to be part of the family business and learn skills.

You get a deduction.

Typically they are in lower tax bracket than you, if they pay tax at all.

You hire your 14 year old to send out cold emails and set up sales calls.

You pay an hourly rate, which ends up being $10k per year in wages.

You deduct $10k, which saves you the following:

-Fed Income Tax: 24%
-State Income Tax: 5%
-SE Tax: 2.9%
Read 8 tweets
27 Sep
Tax Loophole Alert!

Deduct your meals.

Business meals are deductible. How many of your meals are you not deducting, that you could be?

This could save you $500-$1,000/year.

If you own a business, chances are you are having A LOT of meals that could be deductible that you are not deducting.

For a meal to be deductible, it needs to meet the "ordinary and necessary" test.

-"Ordinary" simply means that it isn't lavish and customary in the industry.
If you work in sales, is a steak dinner with a client "ordinary?

-"Necessary" means it had a business/profit purpose. Did the meal further the business?

If you have a "working lunch" with your business partner to talk about next quarters goals, does that have a profit motive?
Read 7 tweets
27 Sep
Tax Loophole Alert! How to deduct your vacation!

This could be worth $1,000s every year.

Other, than in 2020, many of us go on vacation every year.

Vacations are not cheap (usually).

Some vacations might have airfare, lodging, and food costs in the $1,000s or more.

When I'm on vacation, I like to be on vacation, but I know how most of us on Money Twitter are...
You are going to spend a couple hours per day working, even while on vacation.

Even more, at the resort bar or the pool, you are going to be naturally networking and making connections. Talking shop.

You might even be there looking at property to buy and rent out.
Read 9 tweets
25 Sep
How to make your child a $5 millionaire,

with NO TAX to your child,

deductions for you,

on an amount less than your bar tab...

You need to be a business owner to do this.

You need to employ your child to do this so they can contribute to a ROTH IRA.

There are a few things you can employ your child to do.

On easy example is being a "model" in your business marketing materials. Think happy family pics.
Create an employment contract with your child for being in your marketing materials.

Pay your child $6,000/year (must be a market rate of pay). This is deductible to your business so net a couple $100/month.

Contribute this money to a ROTH IRA in your child's name.
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us on Twitter!