* Profile picture
16 Oct, 12 tweets, 3 min read
I am in two minds about regulating SM. On one hand I can see SM platforms are unfair to us, and pander to leftist forces. On the other, I ask if regulation is the right answer to this issue. Whenever you have a situation where the business has a monopoly or even a near monopoly
+
+
The businessman can do what he likes. If he is a Islamist, then he will cater to those voices, if he is communist he will cater to those voices. Why? because he knows that the voices he ignores cant go anywhere, they have to come to him only.
+
+
Why Twitter is seen to be anti Hindu or pro Left is simply this. There is no competition.

Remember in that sense the government is the ultimate monopoly because all its policies are backstopped by a gun or danda.
+
+
So today's govt might regulate SM in one particular way, tomorrow's govt may regulate it in completely another way. And remember we can theoretically and practically have another twitter, but we cannot have a parallel government.
+
+
To protest against a resolvable injustice if you pass on the reins to someone who can inflict you with unresolvable injustice is perhaps not the best way. The only way out of this is, to create and patronize multiple social media platforms.
+
+
Now this is difficult I realise, as several have tried and failed. Primarily because SM has a moat called "network effect". People migrate to those platforms which already have all your friends on it. Its a bit of a chicken and egg situation.
+
+
But here is where government and politicians can play a big role. Lets see you created an Indian version of twitter, and Modi, Shah, BJP joined it. Can we not provide a real competition to Twitter? Then twitter cannot become brazenly anti right as many view it to be now,
+
+
because people will simply migrate to the other one. This is the stark reality, most things in life come to competitive strength. Today we have no competitive strength against twitter, look, even I am typing this on twitter because it will get most reads here.
+
+
Those of us old enough can remember times when MTNL was called Mera Telephone Nahi Lagta, and yet people used to have a 5 year waiting for a phone. That bribing of lineman, that doling out huge Diwalis, that doing saheb saheb in MTNL offices, was degrading. But we did it.
+
+
Because we did not have competitive strength against those people. Today, notice how rudely you can speak to your private sector call centre boy/girl? This is what competitive strength does. So the solution is not more regulation which I GUARANTEE will be detrimental in the
+
+
long run. How many times have you heard: "the sector was facing a lot of troubles, but the moment government took it over it because super efficient and profitable". Hardly, if ever. The solution is for an Indian techpreneur to build an alternative platform, and for out govt
+
+
leaders (maybe not the govt itself) to patronise it. Solutions to most problems can be found in private, individual entrepreneurship. Dont fall for "regulate SM", you will regret in within the decade.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh
 

Keep Current with *

* Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

  2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @BhagwaanUvacha

14 Oct
Would you ever sky dive?
Would you consent to spending a week in a house alone that you know for sure is haunted by a malevolent spirit? Vote and RT
Would you consent to doing something that has a 88% chance of success, but 12% chance that you die a horrible, painful death? Vote and RT.
Read 6 tweets
14 Oct
Hypothetical story, any resemblance to real life and ppl is coincidental. Over heard:

Person was at a filmy party where a husband wife bollywood couple who consider themselves as ultra woke and pillars of film industry were talking about sex workers.

+
+
Seeing another person there and knowing he has traditional views, the wife beckoned to him. Once he walked over, she said "What do you think of prostitutes?". He said i have no views on the subject. Ive never been to them, and i dont know much about them.
+
+ she asked, do you know the difference between your wife, your mother, your sister, and a prostitute? He replied, ma'm i respect you a lot, let's not get into this subject and not in a personal way. I told you i dont know much about out anyway.
+
Read 7 tweets
13 Oct
Strongly suspect China's downfall will begin with their real estate sector. RE is nearly 25% of Chinese GDP. And god knows how much of Chinese GDP is fudged. China's problem is debt, and RE plays a big part of it. and RE is come to a grinding halt. +
+ I mean just look at the numbers. On average the largest Chinese RE cos have a net debt that is three times their equity. Property sales are down hard. Property is the collateral behind 40% of loans taken. Much of their public services are funded by land sales.
+
+
China is sitting on 3 BILLION square meters of UNSOLD residential property per some estimates. China invested US$1.4 TRILLION in its property market in the last 12 months. This is more than US$900bn that USA invested at the peak of its own housing bubble.
+
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!


This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us on Twitter!