Greg Sargent Profile picture
Jan 28, 2021 6 tweets 6 min read Read on X
Marjorie Taylor Greene approved of executing Dems, yet she'll get little to no punishment. But the story here is much bigger: GOP failure to police extremists goes back half a century.

“The dictum now is ‘No enemies to the right,'" @RuleandRuin tells me:

washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/…
@RuleandRuin I talked to @RuleandRuin, who wrote a book about the GOP.

He offered great insights about what brought us to this point.

Today's GOP base thrives on "jihadist ecstasy" about Trump, he says.

GOP won't "police boundaries against kooks and extremists."

washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/… Image
@RuleandRuin There's a great paper called "The Long New Right" that tells the story of the GOP/conservative movement's failure to police extremists for the last 50 years.

It's highly relevant to the insurrection and Marjorie Greene's lunacy.

I summed it up here:

@RuleandRuin Two good points about what brought us here, from @RuleandRuin:

* Unpopularity of GOP agenda increasingly requires firing up far-flung low propensity voters

* Explosion of extreme right wing media opens path to notoriety for people like Marjorie Greene:

@RuleandRuin Amazingly, GOP leaders think holding Trump accountable for insurrection would cost them new voters he's brought in.

McConnell is backing off separating GOP from Trump due to this calculation.

And @tripgabriel reports GOP leaders in PA think this too:

washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/… ImageImage
@RuleandRuin @tripgabriel Last point:

Everyone laughed when Marjorie Taylor Greene called for Biden's impeachment even before he took office.

But in an important sense, in this respect she really isn't that much of an outlier in today's GOP:

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Greg Sargent

Greg Sargent Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @GregTSargent

Sep 25
Utterly repulsive: Trump is now attacking Haitians in a small PA town with truly vile smears.

But the town manager tells me all Trump's claims are lies:

*Haitians not taking Americans' jobs
*No 2000% population increase
*No uptick in crime

New piece:
newrepublic.com/article/186331…
At a rally this week, Trump claimed Charleroi PA has seen a 2000% population boost due to Haitians.

But as town manager Joe Manning told me, if this were true, its pop would have gone from 4K to nearly 100K. He literally burst out laughing at the idea.

Trump said the Haitian "invasion" of PA is part of Harris' "war on workers." But the town manager told me Haitians were lured to Charleroi after a local employer couldn't find workers. And PA's unemployment rate is 3.4%.

More from the town manager below:

Read 6 tweets
Sep 21
It's good that GOP Gov Mike DeWine urged Trump and Vance to stop smearing Haitians. But DeWine misses something big here: Trump *wants* the Springfield debate to be as charged with hate and rage as possible. He thinks that's a winner for him. 1/

New piece
newrepublic.com/article/186224…
When GOP Gov Mike DeWine called out Trump and Vance for lying about Haitians, he suggested it will alienate swing voters.

But this misses how Trump sees things. Trump thinks all the rage and hate will activate swing voters' latent MAGA tendencies. 2/

Trump's language is explicit on the idea of migration as racial contamination:

*migrants "poison the blood"
*we let in people from "shithole countries"
*they're emptying prisons/insane asylums

Trump has made Springfield into a symbol of all this. 3/

Read 6 tweets
Sep 13
Big news out of Springfield: The Mayor has now confirmed that the emailed bomb threat did contain hateful language about immigrants.

Trump and Vance can no longer pretend not to know exactly what their vile demagoguery is accomplishing.

New piece from me
newrepublic.com/article/185953…
Springfield Mayor Rob Rue, a Republican, says the bomb threat email contained "hateful" language about immigrants and specifically "Haitian folks."

Trump/Vance valorize these places, but have no real concern for the impact their demagoguery has on them.

On Springfield, don't lose sight of the larger context: Again and again and again, Trump has refused to back off this sort of hate speech even *after* it has incited threats of violence.

I went back and looked. The pattern is clear:

Read 5 tweets
Sep 12
This is hair-raising stuff. I talked to numerous people who are prepping for what might happen if Trump wins. They are bracing for years of legal harassment and the deep corruption of govt info into rank propaganda.

Lots of reporting in my new essay:
newrepublic.com/article/185487…
We keep hearing about scary second-term horrors like troops in cities: But in this piece, I argue for another, more insidious scenario: A slow-burn authoritarianism of grinding legal harassment of Trump critics and profound corruption of the bureaucracy.

Lawyer Mark Zaid tells me he has a dozen Trump-critic clients prepping for revoked passports, security clearances, etc.

“We expect a targeted approach designed to drain the resources of perceived adversaries and leave them neutralized and isolated.”

Read 11 tweets
Sep 5
It's a big deal that veteran journalist Mike Barnicle has now called out his media colleagues for failing to adequately cover Trump's visibly worsening mental state. It should spur a real discussion about how to do this, before it's too late. 1/

New piece
newrepublic.com/article/185622…
“We have a damaged, delusional, old man who might get reelected to the presidency," Mike Barnicle said on @Morning_Joe. He said the media doesn't really cover Trump's daily insanity as a window into his mental fitness for the presidency. This is right. 2/

Some in the media will reject this, claiming they do cover Trump's crazier claims. But this misses the point. His mental unfitness for the presidency is *itself* the big story. It merits sustained scrutiny as a topic with its own intrinsic importance. 3/

Read 8 tweets
Aug 30
News --> Dems are pushing the Army to clarify why they think Trump's Arlington fiasco broke the law, and demanding a clearer account of what his campaign aides did to that woman. One source says Dems are frustrated at the lack of detail.

My new piece:
newrepublic.com/article/185517…
At his Michigan rally, Trump offered a highly distorted account of the Arlington mess. He omits that his own aides recorded a campaign video there and that officials told his campaign in advance that political activity was banned.

My fact check:

newrepublic.com/article/185517…Image
Many Qs remain unanswered about the Arlington fiasco. If the woman considered charges, that likely means there was violence or at least highly inappropriate manhandling. How violent was the encounter? Why did cemetery officials conclude laws were broken?

newrepublic.com/article/185517…Image
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(