Lorehold Command
#MTGStrixhaven AD Taylor Ingvarsson
First of only 4 illos I did for Strixhaven, which I wish I could have contributed more to if it wasn't for the fact I was easing myself into work after grief. Probably my fav new setting, open to so much narrative! Thread -> Image
Brief. This is the type of illustration that's both "easy" and difficult: the hero shot. Easy since there's nothing overly complicated happening that needs the utmost clarity to read, but hard to make more "interesting" aside from folks standing around looking cool! Image
The thumbnails for this one were quick and messy, mainly because group shots are already complicated enough. Simple posing, maybe some basic values, and that's it for me :) Image
A bazooka is cool... but what about a belt-fed machine gun where ancient cuneiform characters are the ammo, "popping off" from the page when spent? :P

A was my preference here because I love warm lighting on dark backgrounds, but B, the selected option, was still fun. Image
you don't need much to shoot your own reference, and it helps so much. plus you get to look goofy on social media: Image
What the tight sketch looked like before the rough colours and rendering: Image
GIF! I actually left out some of the very last steps, which is filling in for a larger frame that i forgot this piece applied to! it happens. You can see their feet in the extended frame and makes them look a bit awkward, standing around... sometimes it's better to show less!
Close-ups: tried to give each character their own type of magic, from big honkin' language gun, to wing-page magic, to topographical wizardry, to raising a huge ancient ruined statue.

Thanks for reading! ImageImageImageImage
A few addendums because folks love the minigun!
- I know that it's be hard to hold for long and there should be a shoulder strap going to the far end, but it was too hard to figure out (at the time, slightly rushed) how to keep it out of the way of the paper/scroll as it moved Image
- I also realize that if it's moving as if belt-fed, the "spent" burnt characters should be further down along the roll, and the fresh ones up higher. No real reason I did this, just a mistake!
- Lastly, the magic streaks used to be straight, but it was deemed to be a little too close to actually just being a depiction of a gun. the cuneiform characters now woosh around a bit.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jason Rainville 🔜 MagicCon Amsterdam

Jason Rainville 🔜 MagicCon Amsterdam Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JasonRainville

Jun 5, 2023
Aragorn at Helm's Deep
AD Colin Boyer
What a treat! My fav part of the movies, an iconic place and event, very happy to have gotten this one. MTG LotR came at a tough time for me & I wish I could have done more, but this is already more than enough.
Small thread->
First off, please don't feed the trolls. If someone actually wants to have a conversation it'd be obvious, if people are coming here with what they think are snappy zingers, do yourself and I a favour: block them and move on.
Second, since this is universes beyond, I could make no originals nor can I sell prints or receive proofs. Best I can do for anyone interested in supporting me/getting something original is signing cards! Sorry!
Read 26 tweets
Apr 4, 2023
Death-Greeter's Champion #MTGMOM
AD Zack Stella
Very privileged to be trusted with this card art!
I miss Tarkir so much so it was also grand to go back. This thread won't be nearly as detailed as the last one but there's still cool elements to discuss
Thread ->
Prints!
Not 100% comfortable making a lot of money off this on the back end (art/AP sketches are diff, that's labour), bc this thread is essentially marketing it as an important card for trans folks
at least 50% sales will go to trans charities
inprnt.com/gallery/jasonr…
I also commissioned an Asian trans-masc / nonbinary model, Mayo, to help me with photo reference for this piece. Thank you!

When asked if they'd like a shoutout, they asked me to link to BGU, a queer/intersectional feminist zine:
bgubefree.com
Read 16 tweets
Mar 27, 2023
“Name Unknown” AD Taylor Ingvarsson #MTGMOM
Well, what can I say. The response to this has been incredible
Coming off a bad move, losing my cat, taking a break & coming back feeling like I had something to prove after a lot of MTG set FOMO led to this. Let's talk abt it
Thread-> Image
First off if anyone's interested in a print, I appreciate the support! I don't have a good setup for signed prints, but that and playmats are being looked into!
(file is lightened to avoid an over-dark print)
inprnt.com/gallery/jasonr…
Every so often I have a “new best” reflecting growth, either with “skill” or ideas. It's been happening pretty steadily even with less time for studies which makes me happy. Some notable ones through the years, to hopefully show it's possible to keep growing Image
Read 36 tweets
Aug 18, 2022
Cover (figure only) for The Legend of Drizzt Visual Dictionary
AD David Fentiman (DK books)

Hey I did a Drizzt!
I -like- this cover. I wish I could have gone a diff direction but hey, is what it is. You know it's the guy and it looks good so... I'll take it :)
Thread -> Image
My usual "brief" section will be... brief :) It basically amounted to "get that boy in a cool pose" with the rest of the negative space in mind for other elements. Got some new concept art for consistency and away I went with a lot of digital sketches: Image
A lot of em...
Basically looking for diff gesture that I separated into 3 categories: action, broody, and a balance of the two. Image
Read 9 tweets
Jul 4, 2022
Maeve, Insidious Singer
AD Andrew Vallas

A great project! The last of my "regular" cards in 2021. This one was a ton of fun, lessons learned along the way, and as always, my fav, narrative!
Thread->
Brief. Immediately I knew I wanted to make her plus sized. Fits with the animal shape but also hey, more examples of alluring plus sized ladies :) Though there's a balance here: this is MTG. I think "glamour" is fine but it can go quick to over-sexualization. Restraint.
uh... restraint?
Oh what could have been XD I think what tripped me up is the "cover her breasts with hair" bit. I like NSFW and pinup art and I think in these sketches and thumbs I was a little too "artful" about it. Octopus head? Narwhal horn? Trying things.

Read 12 tweets
Mar 31, 2022
Druid Iconic Class
AD Kara Kenna
Last but not least! Foliage is my bane but I sucked it up and tried to abstract it as much as I could. I think I also misinterpreted the brief but it seems to have worked out in the end.
Thread->
the part of the brief I think I got wrong was "a hood and cape made of reeds, shaggy moss, ivy, and leaves bound to muslin" I instead went for a muslin base, but with a trellis of branches holding all the foliage
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(