No, The Times own version of its strategy is flawed. Without the huge audience that free brought, The Times would not have been able to convert the number of readers it has to subscription.
nytimes.com/2021/04/10/bus…
See: digitalriptide.org/chapter-4-the-…
Later, the same story demonstrates the point: You have to have large sampling (read: free) to convert people to subs (read: paid).
Frustrating that the story about the WSJ barely touches the GOP elephant in the room: Murdoch's politics and the right's racism. This is his bully pulpit.
nytimes.com/2021/04/10/bus…
Oops. Left out the most revealing quote.
The larger point: If one wonders how Murdoch--or any proprietor--promulgates a worldview through his (yes, his) publication, these snippets provide a small case study. How is, say, the internet covered? Or race? Editors & culture exert influence. They are black boxes.
BTW, whatever became of the vaunted committee that was supposed to oversee & assure the "independence" of Dow Jones & the WSJ. Independence from whom? It's owner? Yeah, sure.
Original slate: wsj.com/articles/SB119…
Latest sighting: nasdaq.com/press-release/…
What has it ever done?
Grrrr. *its.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jeff (Gutenberg Parenthesis) Jarvis

Jeff (Gutenberg Parenthesis) Jarvis Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jeffjarvis

Jul 15
What the fuck, MSNBC? You preempted your excellent weekend programming, @TheWeekendMSNBC and @AliVelshi, and now you've silenced @Morning_Joe in favor of your anodyne streaming news cos-play called Now? This is when we need the analysis and conversation these shows bring us (yes, with controversy; that is how public discourse works through it: with discussion). It is shocking that NBC/Comcast do not understand their own company's programs and raison d'etre. Bring back @JoeNBC and @morningmika. They may drive me crazy sometimes, but we need the dialog they enable.
Did some numbnuts NBC/Comcast/Universal executive decide an assassination attempt was a good time to promote its foundering streaming show? (I feel like we're living in AppleTV's Morning Show. UBS>NBC.) Or did this essentially Republican megacorporation decide to silence liberal voices? That's my theory and that's nothing short of election interference.
MSNBC: You'd damned well better not preempt @NicolleDWallace, @JoyAnnReid, @maddow, @chrislhayes, @Lawrence, and @AriMelber today or I'll come organize a picket line at 30 Rock.
Who's in charge there: journalists or Republican media moguls? MSNBC is the alternative to the bothsidesing of the Times, Post, and CNN that we need.
What the hell are you thinking?
Read 6 tweets
Jul 13
In this defensive @NewYorker reaction to @JoeBiden (finally) criticizing the press that has been criticizing him, @jaycaspiankang shares an important insight about the falling power of the press, but I come to a different conclusion... 1/
newyorker.com/news/fault-lin…
Kang says that media are weakened and that's what makes it easy for Trump and now Biden alike to attack them. I say what it shows is that as media realize they have lost the agenda, their response is to shout louder and more often. That is what we see every day in the @NYTimes. 2/
In The Gutenberg Parenthesis, I chronicle--nay, celebrate--the death of mass media & the insult of the mass. Kang makes me see that I next need to examine mass media's behavior in their death throes. They are not accustomed to being talked back to, by their subjects or by the public. They respond with resentment. They dig in. 3/Image
Read 12 tweets
Jun 3
Oh, Lord: The anodyne AP journalism of Buzbee to be replaced--in the design of the Murdochian henchman Will Lewis--by a Murdochian WSJ editor, then, as bad if not worse, a Telegraph editor. The crisis in US national journalism worsens!
washingtonpost.com/pr/2024/06/02/…
I can't parse what the "third newsroom" is but it sounds very 2015--SEO, social, pivot to video--just as AI threatens to be a new web. I am worried that serving "Americans who feel traditional news is not for them but still want to be kept informed" is code for Post as Murdoch.
Keep in mind that Post boss Lewis is under suspicion of clearing away evidence of Murdoch's hacks' hacking. prospectmagazine.co.uk/ideas/media/ph…
Read 4 tweets
May 15
Good! @JoeNBC is excoriating the NYT/Sienna poll and the attention it gets. It warps. Yes. At moments such as this, I quote the late James Carey about how polls--all polls--preempt the public conversation they are intended to measure. From my book, The Gutenberg Parenthesis. 1/
Importantly, @JoeNBC is excoriating not just the poll but the Times reporting around it, quoting voters who've never voted. That is not journalism.
The Times--Haberman and Swan--triple down on their awful poll, using it to slap Biden in the story about Joe challenging the other guy to debates. A Haberman and Swan special: Image
Read 4 tweets
Apr 10
Today I'm releasing a major paper on California's Journalism Preservation Act (& its federal cousin, JCPA): its weaknesses; the history of news & copyright; newspapers' long history of fighting new technologies & competitors--and alternative solutions. 1/
drive.google.com/file/d/1HHcDuU…
CJPA & JCPA are the latest from a long history of efforts by the news industry to diminish fair use and extend copyright for their exclusive benefit. Their must-carry clauses also, in my opinion, violate the 1st Amendment by requiring platforms to carry their speech. 2/
CJPA will benefit hedge funds & national--plus some extremist media--far more than California's own, cutting out much community, ethnic, & startup media. Link taxes break the web and set up a perverse incentive for clickbait. It will likely result in Meta deserting news there. 3/
Read 12 tweets
Jan 26
"Most managers see AI as an existential threat," says @risj_oxford. That is because they think they are in the content business. In The Gutenberg Parenthesis, I argue content is a print-era notion now fully commodified. Journalism is service.
reutersinstitute.politics.ox.ac.uk/news/how-media…
I say here it is time to give up on old news, to stop throwing good money & effort after bad. The first step in building a new journalism is to imagine it post-content (not dependent on scale & copyright): a journalism of service, community, collaboration.
medium.com/whither-news/i…
What strategy do we see from the legacy news industry? Lobbying legislatures for expansion of copyright: CJPA, C-18, LSR and now AI (as I saw in the Senate last week). That's not a strategy for the future. It is building walls to keep the public out.
buzzmachine.com/2024/01/11/in-…
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(