Andy Mannix Profile picture
Apr 12, 2021 22 tweets 6 min read Read on X
I'm out here in Brooklyn Center w my colleagues, trying to learn the facts of a man who was shot and killed by police here tonight. I'll tweet updates from scene, but follow startribune.com for the latest story.
The man's name is Daunte Wright, 20 yrs old, and a couple hundred people are gathered, chanting peacefully as of now.
The scene rn
Folks now marching to Brooklyn Center police station
We are on a suburban street w quite a few oncoming cars, but members of crowd are directing traffic away
Going thru busy intersection, but ppl using cars w flashers to warn oncoming traffic
Group I'm following is getting close to police station
That gas is potent. That cloud is comimg from the police station
Arrived to a cloud of riot gas sending ppl retreating
Reminder that I'm only tweeting what's right in front of me and as it happens. Read our story for full coverage: Brooklyn Center police fatally shoot man, 20, inflaming tensions during the Derek Chauvin trial. strib.mn/3ddTYZH
Not sure how many of these tweets are sending but scene is: a lot of police standing off w a lot of protesters. Riot gas, flash bangs. Ppl standing ground.
Reminder that I'm tweeting what's in front of me as it happens. Chek our story for comprehensive coverage strib.mn/3ddTYZH
Lots of tear gas deployed just now. Ppl scattering, pouring water in each other's eyes
Police declaring unlawful assembly. Saying that includes media
Another adult sized dose of gas. We are getting outta here
National guard has arrived

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Andy Mannix

Andy Mannix Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @AndrewMannix

Jun 2, 2023
NEW: 2 yrs ago, I set out to learn everything about Heather Mayer, a popular figure in the local BDSM scene whose death was never solved. The reporting took me and @reneejon across the country chasing allegations of a serial abuser in the BDSM community. Read the investigation:
This story is not just about an unsolved death. It’s a distillation of how the criminal justice system places value judgements on victims, and how some are deemed not credible based on lifestyle rather than evidence.
In this story, cops told Heather’s mom it was suicide before the investigation started. Women are repeatedly told jurors would never side w/ them bc of their BDSM “lifestyle.” Here’s what the lead investigator told a victim who came forward w/ evidence after Heather’s death: Image
Read 4 tweets
Sep 26, 2022
ICYMI: We took a deep dive into the history of this embattled intersection and how police, business owners and community members are looking to address its high frequency of violence. startribune.com/embattled-nort…
A couple interesting findings. 1. As violence has increased in this half-mile radius, proactive policing metrics dropped 90%, which MPD attributes to a change in tactics responding to fewer officers on staff. Image
2. Many in the community blame biz owners, but there is debate over where responsibility lies. If someone drives by shooting from the sunroof, how should the business respond? Image
Read 4 tweets
Oct 30, 2021
Openly gay, feminist and liberal, Colleen Ryan joined the Minneapolis police to make change. Instead, she says, a misogynistic and homophobic culture, obsessed with Trump, pushed her out. startribune.com/only-minneapol…
Ryan says her coworkers turned on her after learning she supported Clinton, who they considered the anti-cop candidate. When she took part in the 2017 women's march, her entire shift refused to partner with her and purposely stalled when she asked for backup, she says.
Ryan is the only officer who's been disciplined for conduct tied to riots last summer, for talking to a GQ journalist w/o permission.

She quit MPD last week and filed a complaint w the state of the way out alleging anti-gay discrimination. Read our interview.
Read 4 tweets
Sep 12, 2021
For most of this summer, @JeffHargarten and I have been trying to learn more about the surge in gun crime in Minneapolis. What we found is that the city is on track for the most violent year in a generation. A few notes on the reporting below: startribune.com/inside-minneap…
1. The crime spike is real. This wasn't a given. Crime is often politicized, especially now in Mpls, and in recent years we've heard politicians and pseudo news orgs describe the city in sensationalized terms even when crime was at record lows.
But since June 2020, gun violence has been surging. It's not just the climbing murder rate. We looked at several metrics of gun shot rates, from ShotSpotter to reports made to hospitals and 911 calls, and they are all hitting record highs.
Read 9 tweets
Aug 26, 2021
After the 3rd Precinct fell, Minneapolis police cleared guns and computers out of other precincts. Across town, in the 2nd, they shredded what they believed to be inactive case files and loaded the rest in an unmarked car to hide at a waterworks facility startribune.com/police-shredde…
One officer said he believed the city's plan was to abandon the other precincts.
Citywide, officers were trying to "secure materials so that they did not fall into the hands of demonstrators." said one officer, describing the panicked frenzy that spread through the police ranks last summer.
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(