Menaka Pai, MSc MD FRCPC Profile picture
Apr 16, 2021 7 tweets 3 min read Read on X
Hey Ontario. Our healthcare system (and all the good things that flow from it, including the economy) is about to collapse. It's about powerful people not making hard choices that ultimately benefit everyone they are supposed to serve. What can YOU do? Empower YOURSELF. Read on:
1. Don’t spend time with people indoors if they're not in your household. If you have the privilege to follow this rule, follow it! Cosy up with your hunny bunny. Cuddle your kids. Facetime with all the people you love who are ?NOT in your household.
2. If you have to be indoors for essential tasks, keep 6 ft away + mask. Essential tasks = your job (though ask yourself... is it REALLY essential that you work indoors?) or life and death stuff. LCBO does curbside pickup, FYI.
3. Really miss the people you love who are not in your household? GET OUTSIDE! Transmission isn't zero, but it's low. Mask up if you get closer than 6 ft. (Masking up is always good. It's annoying, but less so than intubation, or no intubation cause we have no ventilators left.)
4. Get the vaccine offered to you when it’s your turn, help others get theirs when it’s their turn. When it’s not your turn, wait for your vaccine. Talk to your trusted healthcare professionals if you have concerns about vaccines. They're safe, they're essential.
If you've detected that I'm using lighthearted GIFs in this thread because I'm actually scared out of my mind, heartbroken about the inequity and science-denialism that has gotten us into this mess, and grieving for all we've lost... you know me well. Post-COVID drinks on me.
And follow the @COVIDSciOntario Science Advisory Table. We're an independent group of scientists volunteering our time - and we're your neighbours, family, friends. We care about this province, and we're trying to help by giving you the facts you need to get through this. /FIN

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Menaka Pai, MSc MD FRCPC

Menaka Pai, MSc MD FRCPC Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @MPaiMD

Jun 25, 2023
Trauma induced coagulopathy is the leading cause of death in young people. EVERYTHING gets messed up. Such a cool talk by Dr. Dante Disharoon at #ISTH2023 on dielectric coagulometry micro sensors to sort out this hot mess… 1/n
10 microL of blood in a microfluidic sensor - run current through it - and determine the type of clotting dysfunction (platelets, factors, fibrinolytics. Overcomes a lot of the practical challenges to using ROTEM (size, vibration sensitivity, not near-patient). 2/n
Dr. Disharoon’s group coated electrodes with thrombin receptor activating peptide 6 (TRAP-6), which could detect platelet activity. Imagine getting rapid functional results - and targeting your patient’s resuscitation to platelets (versus other aspects of coagulation)! 3/n
Read 5 tweets
Nov 12, 2022
Dr Bruce is one of our incredible anaesthetists at McMaster Children’s Hospital, and a former Med school classmate. Please read her tweet carefully. What would it take for you to wear a mask? Would you do it if there was a chance it could save a child’s life? 1/n 🧵
Mac Children’s serves not just Hamilton, but kids from across our region. It is overflowing. Urgent cases are being sent to Hamilton’s adult hospitals. Staff are struggling to take care of frightening patient loads, and very sick children. 2/n
When adult hospitals were suffering this plight, we did all we could to stop the spread. Now we are dealing with a storm of respiratory illness in little ones, yet there seems to be no societal appetite to do hard things. Or even easy things. And trust me - masking is easy. 3/n
Read 6 tweets
Mar 27, 2022
A thread about about paxlovid - the “early treatment” pill for COVID-19 that’s been all over the news. Who is eligible? Who decided who is eligible?. Why aren’t more people eligible? (Are YOU eligible?) 🧵1/n
This thread is inspired by one from my friend & colleague Dr @kgrindrod, whose expertise in pharmacy and knowledge translation (getting science out to people who need to know about it) is superb. Read the whole thing! (Then come back 😉) 2/n
Paxlovid is an antiviral drug. It stops the SARS-CoV-2 virus from multiplying in your body’s cells. It works if it’s taken EARLY - within five days of the start of symptoms. It reduces the chance of your COVID getting worse. 3/n
Read 25 tweets
Mar 9, 2022
Hastily dropping masks in schools - an easy thing that helps protect staff and kids (inc JKs who can’t get vaxxed, and many eligible kids who aren’t vaxxed) - seems like such a callous, thoughtless “end” to the pandemic. Here’s what my 6 year old said when we discussed it: 1/n🧵
This morning at breakfast, while my husband wrangled the preschooler, I told my 6 year old that on Mar 21, there likely would NOT be a mask rule in his school. I asked him how he felt about it, and what he wanted to do. Because now he had a choice. 2/n
This kid has seen his mommy come home with bruises on her face after 12+ hours in an N95. Two years of this. Our narrative on masks, from the start, has been: “My mask protects me, your mask protects you, our masks protect each other.” 3/n
Read 14 tweets
Jan 18, 2022
News today of shortages of life-saving Covid drugs & HC approval of paxlovid (which will initially be in v short supply too). As a methodologist & a clinician, I wonder… how do you follow evidence-based guidance on drugs when you don’t have any drugs? 🧵 thestar.com/news/gta/2022/…
As Co-Chairs of @COVIDSciOntario’s clinical practice guideline working group, @ASPphysician and I have been thinking a lot about this. Here are our practical suggestions on how to treat COVID-19 patients during periods of drug shortage. 2/n
But first: a recap of how we use evidence to inform recommendations. Think of clinical decision making as a treacherous river. To take care of your patients you MUST cross that river. Clinical practice guidelines can help. 3/n
Read 27 tweets
Aug 22, 2021
Going to take a Twitter break for the next 6 weeks, to conserve energy for myself and the people I love! Most of my life happens OFF SoMe, and that’s where I’d like to focus my attention right now. Here’s some parting thoughts: 🧵
1. Please mask up and get your vaccine. We are in wave 4. After a week on call, I don’t even need modeling to tell you - the unvaccinated are getting sick, intubated, dying. COVID is unrelenting and cruel.
2. Show gratitude. I am grateful for my little family, the privilege of my job, and friends near & far who check in on me, make me laugh, inspire me to work hard, remind me to rest, send me spa recs & coffee invites & funny texts & so. many. silly. tiktoks. My cup is full.
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(