Pulp Librarian Profile picture
Apr 17, 2021 5 tweets 2 min read Read on X
Free caftan or free jumpsuit? Gotta say I'm kinda torn on this one...
OK I'm going with the jumpsuit.
Or maybe the caftan.
I mean, the jumpsuit is more professional...
...but the caftan is soooo comfy!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Pulp Librarian

Pulp Librarian Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @PulpLibrarian

Jul 20
Today in pulp: the searing, evocative power of a well crafted opening sentence!

For this thread I will draw my examples from the greatest writer* in the English language: the Reverend Lionel Fanthorpe.

(*based on synonym use) Image
On death:

"Bellenger was dead when they found him. That Bellenger was dead was probably the understatement of the year. Bellenger was horribly, violently dead!" Image
On crowds:

"The crowd had to be seen to be believed. There are crowds and crowds but this was the crowd to end all crowds. Never, perhaps ever before in the whole of human history had there been such a massive congregation. Such a teeming of humanity." Image
Read 35 tweets
Jul 18
Today in pulp I look at time travel. It's full of paradoxes but there's one we rarely explore: does it break the Law of Conservation of Energy?

Let’s investigate… Image
Time travel is a staple of pulp science fiction and it often involves a paradox: changing history, killing your grandfather, creating a time loop etc. Solving the paradox, or realising too late that one is happening, is half the fun of these stories. Image
Thinking about the nature of time is also fun. Does it exist or is it emergent? It is a local or global event? How many dimensions does it come in? Why is there an ‘arrow of time’? There are many possible answers. Image
Read 22 tweets
Jul 17
Today in pulp... the books of Peggy Gaddis! Image
Peggy Gaddis was a prolific pulp author under her own name and under many nom de plumes. At her peak she was writing a new novel every three weeks. Image
Gaddis worked across a number of genres in her career, including notes romance novels and more racy literature.
Read 18 tweets
Jul 1
Today in pulp... I head back to 1977! Image
Ancient Astronauts: an Official UFO Special. November 1977. Image
Modesty Blaise: Last Days In Limbo, by Peter O'Donnell. Pan Books, 1977. Image
Read 29 tweets
Jun 30
The Muppet version of Apocalypse Now...

"I wanted a mission. And for my sins they gave me one."
"Your mission is to proceed up the Nung River by Navy patrol boat, pick up Colonel Kurtz's path at Nu Mung Ba, infiltrate his team by whatever means available... and terminate the Colonel's command."
"Terminate with extreme prejudice."
Read 9 tweets
Jun 29
People who feel they have no voice can have a powerful creative spark, sometimes born of suffering or solitude. Mostly it's hidden, but in the 20th century it began to be admired, celebrated, and even perhaps exploited.

Let's look at the story of 'Outsider Art'... Image
Outsider Art, Art Brut, Visionary Art, Naïve Art: nobody has really settled on a name for artworks made by untrained artists which express a raw, energetic experience of the world. It's art from a different perspective, demanding to be heard. Image
Outsider Art began to be recognised in 1911 by Der Blaue Reiter group of artists in Munich. The group was short-lived but influential: fundamental to Expressionism and admiring of artworks created by people struggling with their mental health. Image
Read 19 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(