Tim Culpan (parody) Profile picture
Apr 21, 2021 • 14 tweets • 6 min read • Read on X
🧵
1/ There's a lot of hunger for information about TSMC, what they do, and how the business operates.
So I put together
Ten Charts That Tell The TSMC Tale
bloomberg.com/opinion/articl…
2/
We often think of TSMC output always rising. Certainly revenue *usually* rises, but actual shipments often stagnates or even declines
3/
TSMC can boost revenue when output stalls by raising prices. This isn't as simple as it seems. Chip prices, like-for-like, fall over time. So to extract more money per wafer means always advancing technology.
Compare them to UMC and you'll see the difference.
4/
Despite bleatings by the auto industry, IoT and HPC have grown the most in the past two years. Cars have lagged.
5/
Smartphones remain the largest contributor to TSMC's revenue. But high-performance computing, which includes servers and base stations, were a huge contributor to incremental sales over the past two years.
Autos are barely a blip on the radar.
6/
We're currently in the third year of what I predict will be a 5-6 year spending growth spurt.
This is normal. TSMC capex cycles tend to last around 5 years from trough to peak.
7/
Yesterday I predicted this spending spurt would force TSMC to borrow money.
Turns out, that prediction was more prescient than I'd expected: just today it launched a $3.5 billion USD bond offering in 5, 7 & 10yr terms. Expect more debt sales to come.
8/
Since depreciation is a major component of costs, and more capex means higher depreciation, it's likely that TSMC's profitability (gross margins) has hit an apex.
That figure will probably trend up again, but for now it'll be under pressure due to the big jump in spending.
9/
Looming large is the TWD.
Taiwan's currency appreciated strongly in recent years, with a 1% rise in the TWD hitting TSMC's gross margin by around 40bps.
As @samsonellis & @liviayap11 write, the U.S. may push for further appreciation of the TWD

bloomberg.com/news/articles/…
10/
Despite its strong growth, TSMC has actually been seen as a good dividend play with solid yields.
But the rising share price has narrowed that yield to record lows.
11/
In February I wrote about Taiwan's drought and the risk to semiconductors. It bears repeating because the drought has worsened.

In fact, this chart tells you all that you need to know about the current water crisis.
12/
Now some bonus charts you haven't seen yet.

Inventory. Always keep an eye on inventory.
Although reports of chip shortages are well known, there's also word that some clients are double-booking (ordering more than they may need).

Inventories are now at historic highs.
13/
Rising inventories can be viewed in many ways.
But it's worth noting that TSMC's Days of Inventory, a common metric to measure stockpiles, has almost doubled over the past four years to near record levels.
14/14
This ends my thread.
But let me leave you with a final thought: I actually think Intel's decision to stick with chip manufacturing is a good thing for TSMC.
I know that sounds counterintuitive, so you can read my arguments in this piece.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Tim Culpan (parody)

Tim Culpan (parody) Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @tculpan

Dec 27, 2022
Just in:
Taiwan to return conscription to 12mths from 4mths (had been 12mths year ago)
Boost conscript pay 3x

It’s one step to show resolve, but may fall short

1/ focustaiwan.tw/politics/20221…
2/
Length of Taiwan military service isn’t the only issue. Bigger problems at play, including:
Quality of training, equipment, & leadership. They barely fire a rifle, and aren’t well utilized post-bootcamp. Conscripts generally see it as a waste of time.
3/
There’s a risk of brain drain.
Conscripts may defer for studies, then do post-grad overseas, then avoid returning until a) they age out b) get foreign passport.
I know many who did this.
Also discourages people from taking up citizenship.
Read 6 tweets
Oct 10, 2022
1/
Stricter controls on China's access to chip technology is Washington taking a tougher stance against a growing rival. They follow the CHIPS Act, aimed at boosting the US.
But recent new rules needn't stop China dead in its tracks to be successful
2/
Already, Washington rules have effectively cut off TSMC from Chinese expansion, and forced the world's best chipmaker to turn its attention to the US. That's a powerful move, ensuring that TSMC is no longer "everybody's foundry."

3/
Existing US curbs are likely to also impact China's development in artificial intelligence.
This is a key battleground b/c it's one of the few technological realms where the two superpowers are neck & neck
Read 5 tweets
Sep 1, 2022
Just in:
Taiwanese businessman Robert Tsao just announced plans to train 3 million “civilian warriors” in 3 years
And, 300k expert marksmen.
He’s kickstarting the program with NT$1 bn ($33m) of his own money
Bob Tsao has an interesting history.
In 2001, chipmaker UMC was caught investing in a Chinese rival, breaching Taiwan laws on China investments.
Tsao was chairman of UMC, and faced criminal charges.
The criminal case against Tsao for UMC’s investment in China’s Hejian was long and drawn out.
He gave up his ROC citizenship out of spite, and took up Singapore citizenship. He was seen as pro-Beijing and pro unification (rightly or wrongly).
A lot has changed.
Read 5 tweets
Jun 9, 2022
🧵
1/Everyone knows Foxconn as the company that makes your iPhone. In fact, they've made (in my estimate) over 85% of all iPhones ever shipped.
But before the iPhone, even before the iPod, Foxconn was a major player in electronics. Just not in the way you now know ...
2/
In the mid-90s, when Steve Jobs was on "hiatus" from the company he founded, Foxconn had margins 3x wider than Apple's.
Sure, Apple was in a funk and its gross margin is now 7x the level of 1996.
But Foxconn was had much fatter margins than it does today. The reason: iPhone
3/
Foxconn was originally a component supplier, not final assembly. But it took on assembling the iPod, and then the iPhone, as a way to get deeper into the supply of components that go inside. Actually assembling devices has razor thin margins, and is done almost as a favor
Read 7 tweets
Jun 7, 2022
1/
A Chinese economist highlights the paranoia felt by many in China.

“They are speeding up the transfer to the US to build six factories there,” she added. “We must not let all the goals of the transfer be achieved.”

bloomberg.com/news/articles/…
2/
Telling about this militant, aggressive stance is that it betrays an underlying sentiment that China itself cannot catch up to Taiwan’s TSMC, nor possibly the US.
3/
Seizing Taiwan to grab TSMC makes it a Solomon’s child.
China wouldn’t be able to utilize the fabs or technology, even if they gained access.
So it’d be a case of “if we can’t, they can’t be allowed to either.”
Read 4 tweets
Apr 14, 2022
TSMC!

This company is off like a rocket 🚀

1Q Net income was NT$202.7b. Another record high, and beating even the most bullish of estimates.

Gross margin was a record high 55.6%
As usual, TSMC's growth is driven by advanced nodes. Curiously, its MOST advanced (5nm) dropped a little in 1Q. No biggie, we're in low season for iPhone.

BUT, this tells us something super interesting about pricing....
Gross margins are a function of many things.
Costs, forex (falling TWD = rising margins), and price

In 1Q, TSMC beat even the most bullish of estimates surveyed by Bloomberg.
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(