Cory Doctorow NONCONSENSUAL BLUE TICK Profile picture
Apr 23, 2021 16 tweets 11 min read Read on X
Today's Twitter threads (a Twitter thread).

Inside: Laundering torturers' reputations with copyfraud; Foxconn's Wisconsin death-rattle; John Deere's dismal infosec; and more!

Archived at: pluralistic.net/2021/04/23/rep…

#Pluralistic

1/
Laundering torturers' reputations with copyfraud: Eliminalia, where "we erase your past and help you build your future."

2/
Foxconn's Wisconsin death-rattle: Imagine losing your family home for a GOP media op.

3/
John Deere's dismal infosec: Paternalistic security works well, fails badly.

4/
#1yrago Riot Baby pluralistic.net/2020/04/23/rio…

#1yrago Mayor of Las Vegas says the "free market" will decide what's safe pluralistic.net/2020/04/23/rio…

5/
Yesterday's threads: The awesome destructive power of a billionaire; Banks made bank on covid overdraft charges; Moxie hacks Cellebrite; Fighting FLoC is compatible with fighting monopoly; EFF sues Proctorio over copyfraud; and more!

6/
My latest novel is Attack Surface, a sequel to my bestselling Little Brother books. @washingtonpost called it "a political cyberthriller, vigorous, bold and savvy about the limits of revolution and resistance."

Get signed books from @darkdel: darkdel.com/store/p1840/Av…

7/
My book "How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism" is a critique of Big Tech connecting conspiratorial thinking to the rise of tech monopolies (proposing a way to deal with both) is now out in paperback:

onezero.medium.com/how-to-destroy…

Signed copies here:
darkdel.com/store/p2024/Av…

8/
My ebooks and audiobooks (from @torbooks, @HoZ_Books, @mcsweeneys, and others) are for sale all over the net, but I sell 'em too, and when you buy 'em from me, I earn twice as much and you get books with no DRM and no license "agreements."

craphound.com/shop/

10/
Upcoming appearances:

* Book launch for Bruce Sterling's Robot Artists & Black Swans (Book People), Apr 27, bookpeople.com/event/virtual-…

* Seize the Means of Computation, Ryerson Centre for Free Expression, May 19, cfe.ryerson.ca/events/how-des…

11/
Recent appearances:

* Right to Repair, Monopolies, and Solarpunk

* The surveillance state, digital monopolies, and why we should be worried (Podsongs)
anchor.fm/podsongs/episo…

* Conspiracy Theories (Utopian Horizons):
soundcloud.com/utopianhorizon…

12/
My first picture book is out! It's called Poesy the Monster Slayer and it's an epic tale of bedtime-refusal, toy-hacking and monster-hunting, illustrated by Matt Rockefeller. It's the monster book I dreamt of reading to my own daughter.

pluralistic.net/2020/07/14/poe…

13/
You can also follow these posts as a daily blog at pluralistic.net: no ads, trackers, or data-collection!

Here's today's edition: pluralistic.net/2021/04/23/rep…

14/
If you prefer a newsletter, subscribe to the plura-list, which is also ad- and tracker-free, and is utterly unadorned save a single daily emoji. Today's is "🧑🏼‍🦳". Suggestions solicited for future emojis!

Subscribe here: pluralistic.net/plura-list

15/
Are you trying to wean yourself off Big Tech? Follow these threads on the #fediverse at @pluralistic@mamot.fr.

Here's today's edition: mamot.fr/@pluralistic/1…

16/
Today's top sources: Ron Deibert (twitter.com/RonDeibert/), Slashdot (slashdot.org).

eof/

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Cory Doctorow NONCONSENSUAL BLUE TICK

Cory Doctorow NONCONSENSUAL BLUE TICK Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @doctorow

Jun 13
The US has the rich world's most expensive health care system, and that system delivers the worst health outcomes of any country in the rich world.

1/ A male figure with a doctor's scrub-cab and forehead mirror holds another male figure, head swaddled in bloody bandages, by his bunched collar. The doctor's arm is pulled back to punch the patient. The doctor's fist is translucent, revealing his jacket and tie. They are posed on a chalkboard background. Written on this chalkboard, in chalk handwriting font, is endless lines of cryptic medical billing-codes.
If you'd like an essay-formatted version of this thread to read or share, here's a link to it on , my surveillance-free, ad-free, tracker-free blog:

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/06/13/a-p…
Also, the US is unique in relying on market forces as the primary regulator of its health care system. All of these facts are related!

3/
Read 56 tweets
Jun 12
The problem with good news in the real world is that it's *messy*. Neat happy endings are for novels, not the real world, and that goes double for the climate emergency.

1/ A windfarm at sunset. In the foreground at the bottom are the silhouettes of a Victorian crowd of spectators watching the turbines. On the left of the image is a carmine-skinned Satanic figure dressed in business casual, jerking his thumb at an oilwell that is gushing crude all over the scene.
If you'd like an essay-formatted version of this thread to read or share, here's a link to it on , my surveillance-free, ad-free, tracker-free blog:

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/06/12/s-c…
But even though good climate news is complicated and nuanced, that doesn't mean it shouldn't buoy our spirits and fill our hearts with hope.

3/
Read 50 tweets
Jun 10
Let's take a sec here and notice something *genuinely great* happening in the US government: the @CFPB's stunning, unbroken streak of *major*, muscular victories over the forces of corporate corruption.

1/ A 1901 cover of FAMOUS FIGHTS magazine, an engraving depicting an outdoor boxing ring in which a triumphant boxer has knocked his opponent back into the ropes. A crowd of old-fashioned men crowd around the fight and cheer. The image has been altered. It has been colorized in false watercolor tones. The head of the triumphant boxer has been replaced with a grinning Uncle Sam. The head of the vanquished boxer has been replaced with a cigar-chomping, top-hatted capitalist from a midcentury Soviet propaganda cartoon.

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/06/10/get…
Amazingly, they're doing this *with* the backing of the Supreme Court (yes, *that* Supreme Court), and they're only speeding up!

3/
Read 29 tweets
Jun 6
Look, no one wants to kick Big Tech to the curb more than I do, but, also: it's *good* that Google indexes the news so people can find it, and it's *good* that Facebook provides forums where people can talk about the news.

1/ A boardroom with a long table; executives are clustered around it in 1960s garb. The table's surface has been replaced with a 19th century edition of the Manchester Guardian. The back wall of the room has been redone in Google logo color stripes. One wall features a Google logo. In the middle of the table stands a cartoon mascot with white gloves and booties and the head of a grinning poop emoji. He is striped with the four colors of the Google logo.

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/06/06/sto…
It's not news if you can't find it. It's not news if you can't talk about it. We don't call information you can't find or discuss "news" - we call it "secrets."

3/
Read 73 tweets
Jun 5
Noted anti-capitalist agitator Adam Smith had it right: "People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices."

1/

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/06/05/you…
Despite being a raving commie loon, Smith's observation was so undeniably true that regulators, policymakers, and economists couldn't help but acknowledge that it was true.

3/
Read 86 tweets
Jun 3
Corruption is a system of concentrated gains and diffused costs: cheaters make a lot of money, and their victims each lose a little. The cheater has a much larger pool of money to spend on keeping the scam going, and the victims need to pay *again* to fight the cheater.

1/ A Depression-era Chicago street-scene, featuring a long line of frustrated people standing in front of a series of store-fronts. The image has been altered. It has been colorized. A Live Nation sign has been matted in on one of the storefronts. In the foreground, a disembodied pair of hands perform the shell-game reveal, and beneath the shell is a Ticketmaster ticket.

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/06/03/aoi…
Actually, it's worse. The victim pays once when they are cheated, then, they pay a second time (in time and/or money) when they fight back against the cheater.

But in order to fight back effectively, the victims need to band together.

3/
Read 91 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(