Daniel Thomason Profile picture
Apr 24, 2021 10 tweets 4 min read Read on X
Inspired by @devonzuegel's writings on Miami, I'm going to start a thread of observations and thoughts from living in Estonia – lähme! 🇪🇪
The winters are very long and very cold here, but that means that people are very good at finding ways to enjoy that: hiking, cross-country skiing, sledding, ice skating, and snow sculpting all seem to be common pastimes.
The winter beauty is also something I have never fully experienced before, as an Australian. Even in Berlin, the winter was mostly just cold and grey – we seldom saw the magical aspects.
It's also unfair to see the average temperatures in Estonia from the outside and think "wow, I couldn't live like that!" The secret is that you adapt your life to fit: people have sauna in their apartments, there are cheery Christmas markets, that sort of thing.
It's like saying "I could never survive Australia – it's too hot there." Sure, it's hot in the summer, but the country is built on the understanding that this is the case: there is air conditioning and water sources everywhere.
Because it is a fairly sparsely-populated place, there is beautiful nature in super close proximity wherever you go in Estonia. And the infrastructure around this is excellent – the are usually good paths and clear signposts in major forests and bogs.
Contrasting to the nature aspect, Estonia is a very car-centric place. People like walking, but not straight out of their front doors – they will drive somewhere to go for a walk.
This was an adaptation at first, coming from Berlin. Initially we wanted to walk everywhere, but we quickly learned that for the most part this involved following a major road (see how many yellow lines are on the map) – not so fun. We gave in recently and bought a car.
The cost of living here is surprisingly high. When we moved I saw an online calculator claiming that Tallinn is 22% cheaper than Berlin, but that has not been our experience. Housing is cheaper, but groceries are about the same, and services are actually more expensive.
A bit contributor to this, and an additional downside, is that a lot of the markets we took for granted in Germany don't exist here. There is no local Amazon store (meaning 15€ per delivery 🤯), no Zalando for convenient clothes shopping, no DM/Rossmann equivalent, etc.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Daniel Thomason

Daniel Thomason Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(