Jim O'Shaughnessy Profile picture
Apr 25, 2021 14 tweets 5 min read Read on X
1/🚨New Colleague at Infinite Loops🚨

I'm delighted to introduce you to my newest colleague at Infinite Loops: Vatsal Kaushik (@antilibrary_vk) who, in addition to being an incredibly talented man, demonstrates the emerging power of the Digital World
2/ Time, Space and Geography are collapsing--Vatsal lives in Bangalore, India, but that no longer matters in the digital world.

We've already established an easy working relationship via text, emails and Zooms. Yesterday, I marveled this would have been impossible just a
3/ few years ago, but one of the positives of the global lockdown is it accelerated trends that might have taken years absent our need to adapte.

It's now clear to me that geography no longer matters--if you have access to high speed Internet,
4/ you can work with anyone, anywhere at anytime.

From my point of view as an employer, that means hundreds of millions of incredibly talented, creative and intelligent people just became available as potential colleagues.
5/ For talented people like Vatsal, it means the world's opportunity set just opened up a massive new set of potential careers where they can pursue roles and opportunities that geography denied them in the past.

The leverage inherent in this new world is stunning.
6/ And for all its faults, Twitter is emerging as the new scouting zone--like my colleague @InvestorAmnesia, I discovered Vatsal on Twitter.

He didn't want to wade through all of my GIFs (can you blame him?) to get to the threads I write,

7/ so he created a master thread of my threads. I still use it to find threads I've written (insert "okay boomer.gif) but it made me start watching him and his posts.

He also created an online "antilibrary" filled with book recommendations, did threads on things that
8/ many people had difficulty in understanding, simplifying them and allowing others to more easily use the process.

He used Twitter as his "proof of work" and, in aggregate, it became his living resume that made me want to work with him.
9/ And he's already taught me a lot.

When offered a title, he replied "Why don't you just call me Mr. Meeseeks? (that he's a @RickandMorty fan was a big plus for me)

More seriously, he said "I find titles to be limiting. I'd work as effectively (or maybe even more) without
10/ a title. Once acquired, (many) people only (shallowly) try to game the metrics attached to that title and nothing more."

He wanted to create as many opportunities for me and himself and felt that could only be achieved with an organic expansion of his responsibilities.
11/ I see this as an example of his openminded, positive sum attitude that suggests baking more pies rather than fighting over some arbitrary "fixed" pie.

His mindset is one of expansion and discovery and he wanted to be able to use his many talents, not just a few, in the role
12/ This is the new world--if you're talented and motivated, the "Big Bang" just happened to your opportunities, as the chains of time and place have been shed. I think what's coming is spectacular, but you're worldview will determine how far you can go--think big.
13/ In the meantime, please join me in congratulating @antilibrary_vk on his new role and watch for lots of cool new improvements to Infinite Loops (and other projects we're working on.)
14/ Learn, Build, Share, Repeat, authentically, in public will take you places unexpected and maybe impossible under the constraints of the physical world.

To quote @patrick_oshag "The change and experimentation we are about to see is 🤯"

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jim O'Shaughnessy

Jim O'Shaughnessy Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jposhaughnessy

Jan 28
1/ From the ever provocative Jed McKenna via JEDVAITA website--"Dreamweaver"

"Dreams feel real while we're in them, right? It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange."
~Dom Cobb, Inception.
2/ "That incessant chatter going on in your head might not be mental pollution, as it seems. It might actually be how you constantly weave your dream state, yourself included, into existence.
3/ Obviously, or maybe not so obviously, your reality has no independent reality. It's all in your head, including your head.

That might be a nice thing about meditation - that you can close your eyes, turn off your brain, and spend some quality time away from the
Read 22 tweets
Apr 2, 2023
Arthur C. Clarke 🗣️

“The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.”

“It was the mark of a barbarian to destroy something one could not understand.”
“I am an optimist. Anyone interested in the future has to be otherwise he would simply shoot himself.”

“A faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets.”

“Never attribute to malevolence what is merely due to incompetence”
“Excessive interest in pathological behavior was itself pathological”

“Few artists thrive in solitude and nothing is more stimulating than the conflict of minds with similar interests.”

“He had a suspicion of plausible answers; they were so often wrong.”
Read 4 tweets
Mar 16, 2023
Henri Bergson 🗣️

“Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought.”

“To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.”

“The universe is a machine for the making of Gods.”
“Time is invention and nothing else.”

“Laughter is the corrective force which prevents us from becoming cranks.”

“The Eyes See Only What The Mind Is Prepared To Comprehend.”
“Creation signifies, above all, emotion, and that not in literature or art alone. We all know the concentration and effort implied in scientific discovery. Genius has been defined as an infinite capacity for taking pains.”

“No two moments are identical in a conscious being”
Read 4 tweets
Mar 11, 2023
1/Implicate and explicate orders--A thread

“We are all linked by a fabric of unseen connections. This fabric is constantly changing and evolving. This field is directly structured and influenced by our behavior and by our understanding.”
~David Bohm
2/ David Bohm was a quantum physicist whose work focused on understanding the fundamental nature of reality. Bohm's concept of implicate and explicate orders is a way of understanding the relationship between the manifest world we experience and often
3/ think of as “reality” and the underlying system that gives rise to it.

The explicate order is the consensus reality that we share directly. We perceive the world of objects, space, and time with our senses. The explicate order is what we see and experience now,
Read 20 tweets
Feb 13, 2023
Robert A. Heinlein 🗣️

“A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”

“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”

“Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.”
“A prude is a person who thinks that his own rules of propriety are natural laws.”

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.”
Read 6 tweets
Feb 11, 2023
1/ In the Arena

I've always loved Teddy Rosevelt's "Man (person) in the Arena," yet I've heard from many that they interpret it more along the lines of "Gladiator" than the way I read it.

I've always read it as a call to get in the game, not as a pugnacious combatant
2/ but rather as a creative contributor to life.

I think of it more as having the courage to expose yourself to the critics and naysayers by striving (with great enthusiasm) to contribute, even when (especially when) you fall flat on your face.
3/ It seems to be a feature, not a bug, of HumanOS to be wary of the judgment of others.

This probably has evolutionary origins, as when we were all living in tribes as hunter/gatherers, not fitting into the tribe often meant exile and death. Better then to fit IN, rather than
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(