Frank Cifaldi (Sleepy).exe Profile picture
Apr 26, 2021 13 tweets 5 min read Read on X
Looking at a giant pile of mystery EPROMs tonight that are all cryptically labeled and mismatched, with few clues as to anything, including their platforms. It's a really hard puzzle game basically. Image
So far it's mostly stuff like "...I think that's SNES?" but we did recently have OUR FIRST SIGN OF LIFE, FOLKS. Image
We also have what appears to be tiles for a janky, early version of Ufouria on the NES, one of my favorite games on the system! And it appears we're missing 1/2 of the game's program data, so it will never run. Image
This appears to be SNES data, our only clues are the initials "DK" and the year 1994. No, this isn't Donkey Kong Country. Any ideas? ImageImage
Looking at the data, @PixelatedWah suspects Super Drakkhan, a game I had no idea existed until this moment. They're seeing if we have a full game here or just some random pieces.
Unexpected! It's the final ROM, so nothing interesting here, but still neat to see. Image
It's the Japanese version of Spanky's Quest SNES! It's just the retail game, but with a four-byte watermark. ImageImage
Oh, here's a great find! A localization of Quintent/Ancient's Slap Stick, before it got rebranded here as Robotrek. Also has some debug cheats enabled. ImageImageImageImage
I don't think anyone's gonna be sore if I go ahead and share a file link, right? filebin.net/51uj44pqbotkpr…
lol they already deleted it, where do I throw this?
Okay, I doubt the internet archive is going to delete this, here you go folks archive.org/details/slap-s…
Okay, I did all the "easy" stuff, now I have a big pile of vaguely numbered chips (that I did my best to piece together) that ALL have to have pins rewired to dump. I don't have the parts for that yet, let's reconvene once I do. Image
Final tally:

- NES Tetris (final)
- Super Drakkhen English prototype
- Slap Stick English prototype
- QBillion
- Tarzan (GB, final)
- Half of Batman: Return of the Joker (NES, final)
- Spanky's Quest (JP, final)
- Part of an unknown SNES game

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Frank Cifaldi (Sleepy).exe

Frank Cifaldi (Sleepy).exe Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @frankcifaldi

Jul 10, 2023
Nine out of ten classic video games are no longer available to consumers, and that number is unlikely to get any better. It's practically guaranteed that something you grew up with is gone, forever.
Most of us in the community knew it was this bad, but it wasn't until we conducted the world's first study on game availability that we could put a number on it.

87 percent.

You can no longer buy 87 percent of video games sold in the U.S. prior to 2010.
There are two paths to playing most classic games:

1. Maintain antique hardware and expensive secondhand software

2. Piracy

This means we are forever gatekeeping video game history. It's only for collectors and for those with software literacy. They can't inspire new players
Read 5 tweets
Apr 3, 2023
On my way home from Milwaukee yesterday I did a triple take when I saw an ancient used book store, IN THE AIRPORT!!! I felt like I walked through a portal to a world where everything was a little bit cooler. 🧵
I was so enthralled I went up to the register and was like "hey, I'm fascinated by this place, can we chat?" A man with an orange hat, orange glasses, and an orange shirt pushed aside his laptop and said "oh, heavens yes." His name is Orange Mike, and he's worked here since 1979.
Every employee of the shop, including Orange Mike, makes exactly "8.125 dollars" an hour to keep this place going. They are also all in their 60s. Orange Mike himself comes from the local pen & paper community, and used to review games for Dragon magazine.
Read 9 tweets
Nov 30, 2022
Hi! I just wrote a blog post explaining five of the core ways we preserve the history of games at @GameHistoryOrg. You can read it here, but I'll expand on it here in this 🧵 gamehistory.org/five-ways-youv…
@GameHistoryOrg Before we start though:

🚨WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A FUNDRAISER DRIVE

If you're able to give, we have sponsors that are straight up doubling your financial contributions! I can't stress enough how important it is we hit our goal, it's literally a salary: gamehistory.org/donate/
1. We have a physical library located in the San Francisco Bay Area. It's...quaint, at just over 1,000 square feet, but it's real!

We like to say this might be the first library dedicated to the study of video game history. If I'm wrong, tell me so I can go visit the others!
Read 47 tweets
Sep 17, 2022
Ten years after a successful Kickstarter campaign, SpaceVenture is finally out today and it is a FASCINATING mess.

I have never played a game before that not only comes with a laundry list walkthrough, but is so broken that even following the walkthrough I can't get anywhere.
I have now encountered a softlock from a unique and obvious bug for the third time playing this game, and I have only seen three screens. Oh and every one of those times I was doing an action instructed in the walkthrough.
You know how adventure games highlight your icon when you are able to interact with an object? This game tried to do that but it just doesn't work somehow. It will highlight on unclickable objects and stay neutral on clickable objects.
Read 12 tweets
Sep 16, 2022
Return to Monkey Island (the game) sees two of the original creators return to Monkey Island (the franchise), to make a game is about returning to Monkey Island (the island) and seeing how much has changed over the years. It's incredibly meta and I'm so excited I took Monday off.
No offense to those who worked on later entries in the series but I liked those original games because they were a little weird and auteur and had something to say, and the series hasn't been that for thirty years. It was something else entirely without Ron at the wheel imo.
The plot of the game that we've seen so far is that Guybrush Threepwood is back on the same island doing the same quest that he had in the first game, except the world has changed a lot over the years and the old ways don't work anymore.

I mean, come on. This rules.
Read 7 tweets
Apr 17, 2022
Okay! Now that some emotions are cooled, I want to talk about this, because I think a lot of people are either not understanding the situation or are refusing to acknowledge reality. I am doing a very positive and productive thing here and I'd like to put doubts to rest.
I have been navigating the space between high end video game collectors and online citizen archivists/ROM dumpers for over twenty years. This is not an exaggeration. In 2002 I was striking deals with collectors to let me digitize their one-of-a-kind games and put them online.
I am not much of a collector myself, I find little joy in property ownership or wealth hoarding. I live a fairly simple life, and I don't experience the rush that some do by holding a physical object. I'm driven by information. I want to preserve data so that stories can be told.
Read 34 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(