John Murdy Profile picture
Apr 26, 2021 29 tweets 18 min read Read on X
Greetings Boils and Ghouls. Today we’re going to take look back at HHN 2019’s “Creepshow.” I’ve always been a big fan of this film since I first saw it back in 1982. When our good friend Greg Nicotero told us he was producing a new series...we jumped at the chance to be involved! Image
From the beginning, we new this maze was going to be a mash up of segments from the original film and episodes of the new series. We eventually settled on 5 stories. “Father’s Day,” “The Crate,” “They’re Creeping Up on You,” “Grey Matter” & “Bad Wolf Down.” Image
We also know we wanted to pay homage to the EC comic book style of the film/series, both with the set design and the exaggerated blue and red lighting. We also knew we wanted The Creep to be the “connective tissue” of the maze, just as he was in the movie/series... Image
So the concept for the facade was to make you feel like you were entering a giant Creepshow comic book, complete with advertisements of back issues. The entrance for the maze was a mail away coupon that some kid cut out! The pics below show the Creepshow-style lighting changes. ImageImageImage
The prologue for the maze took you through the pages of the comic book, which foreshadowed the stories we were going to feature. It also gave you your first face to face encounter with The Creep... ImageImageImage
Here’s a pic of the sculpt for The Creep along with his final mask and a pic of the character in action. He was based on the design of the character from the new series. ImageImageImage
The first episode was “Father’s Day” which tells the story of Nathan Grantham who returns from the grave on Father’s Day to take revenge on his family! The Creep made a cameo in this scene, appearing as a video projection in the Grantham manor window... ImageImage
Stepping inside the house you were attacked by Nathan several times, including watching him snap Sylvia Grantham’s neck and carrying her head on a tray like a birthday cake! ImageImageImageImage
Here’s the original sculpt for Nathan Grantham, a pic of the final mask and a tons of his hands getting final paint and detailing. ImageImageImage
“The Crate” is a story about a college professor who stumbles upon a long lost creature that’s been hibernating in a shipping crate in a remote part of the university...until it wakes up. This involved recreating the ape-like monster known as “Fluffy!” ImageImageImageImage
Fluffy was a crazy hybrid character costume with the actor’s body incorporated into the crate! A lot of work went into recreating this nasty little guy but I was really happy with how he turned out! ImageImageImage
Here’s some pics of Fluffy’s masks as they were being created. We also had to create his arms, claws, chest, legs, feet, etc. A whole bunch of different molds! Image
The last story from the original film we featured in the maze was “They’re Creeping Up On You,” a tale about a reclusive billionaire germaphobe named Upson Pratt who discovers his penthouse apartment has a bad bug problem... Image
This set has a very specific look in the original film and Chris and his team did their best to recreate it accurately. Here’s a few pics I snapped while it was being built and dressed... ImageImageImageImage
The cockroaches were a combination of prop bugs and projection...here’s an example of how that all came together ImageImage
The Creep also made a cameo in that scene, appearing on the computer monitor once the performer’s trigger was activated. This trigger also activated the exaggerated comic book style lighting in the scene. ImageImageImage
“What’s the matter Mr Pratt? Bugs got your tongue?” Image
The last two sequences in the maze were pulled from episodes from the new series. It started with “Grey Matter,” a story about a man named Ritchie whose body is transformed by an alien entity after drinking a tainted can or beer! This set was my favorite in the maze... ImageImageImageImage
There was so much detail in Ritchie’s apartment that was recreated by our scenic artists and prop crew, it really is worth a closer look... ImageImageImageImage
And once again The Creep made a cameo, appearing on the TV screen... ImageImage
And if you looked closely in the kitchen, you saw cans of the tainted “Harrow’s Beer.” And if you looked closely in the bathroom, you saw some of Ritchie’s unfortunate victims...slowly decomposing in the tub... ImageImageImage
And then you met Ritchie...or what was left of him! ImageImageImage
The last sequence in the maze was based on the episode “Bad Wolf Down,” the story American soldiers taking refuge in a Paris jail during WW2...a discovering an ancient curse that can help them defeat their adversaries! Image
There were 3 different types of werewolves in this episode and scene. A Howling like werewolf and a Lon Chaney Jr style werewolf that walked on two feet and an American Werewolf in London lycanthrope that walked on all fours. Here’s the sculpt of the Wolf Man character Image
And here’s some close ups of the mask for the Howling style werewolf... ImageImage
And here’s some pics of the Howling style werewolf in action! ImageImage
The maze ended with an epilogue similar to the 1982 film. You discover the Creepshow magazine the kid’s dad threw in the trash along with a poster for the show...and The Creep rips through the poster to attack you one last time! ImageImage
Creepshow trivia - producer/ make up artist extraordinaire Greg Nicotero was intimately involved with the creation of the maze and let us use some of the original molds to bring the characters to life! ImageImageImage
Greg also joined Chris and I, Slash and Eli Roth for a special HHN panel on Fan Preview Night. For those of you who got to join us, I think you’ll agree it was a night to remember! ImageImageImageImage

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with John Murdy

John Murdy Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @john_murdy

Sep 1, 2023
So…you know how I always direct our scareactors not to pose for pics? Well, we’ve created some areas in the park that are dedicated character photo ops this year. I’ll give you the run down on where these are since it’s not something that gets an announcement…
Laemmle Courtyard (by Waterworld) will have a revolving photo op that alternates between our Bride of Frankenstein from the 2021 house and David S. Pumpkins…yes, that David S. Pumpkins!
Universal Plaza will feature both La Catrina and La Llorona (from our 2022 house). The Hollywood sign photo op at Terror Tram is being taken over by Santa from our film Violent Night.
Read 5 tweets
May 5, 2021
Ghostbusters on the surface might not be the first thing that pops to mind when you think of a perfect maze property for HHN but when you consider all the ghosts & creatures from the franchise, it had more than enough content to work with...and it would be a Hell of a lot of fun! Image
“Who ya gonna call?” Back in 2006 when I was trying to bring HHN back to Hollywood, I was almost exclusively focused on slasher films but as the years went on and the number of mazes piled up, I started to become interested in translating films that weren’t strictly Horror. Image
Ghostbusters was one of those seminal films from my high school experience, the perfect blend of comedy and horror so the trick was to try and blend those two things. We’d lean heavily on the original film and where to begin it was obvious...the fire house/Ghostbusters HQ Image
Read 27 tweets
Apr 30, 2021
Today we’ll finish up with 2019’s “Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man,” when we left off we were down in the catacombs, working our way back to the ruins of Frankenstein’s castle...
One of my favorite scenes in the maze was Dr. Frankenstein’s ruined library with its scores of books that hold the secret to life. Once again, we drew inspiration for this scene from the 1943 film and Bernie Wrightson’s amazing illustrations for the 1983 graphic novel
In our version, Dr Frankenstein’s library has been ravaged by fire after his monster threw the switch that caused that massive explosion at the end of Bride of Frankenstein. Here’s a pic I took when our props and dressing team had started work in that scene...
Read 13 tweets
Apr 29, 2021
We’re going to close out the week with a look back at “Universal Monsters: Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man” from 2019. I always envisioned The Universal Monsters maze from 2018 as being like “The Avengers” movie that we would spin-off if it worked. This was the first spin off... Image
This maze was loosely based on the 1943 Universal film “Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man.” We also combined elements from 1939’s Son of Frankenstein and 1944’s House of Frankenstein. I’ll show examples of that inspiration as we go along Image
The facade statement for the maze was the gypsy camp which was something we designed but didn’t use for the 2018 maze. Slash created an original score for the maze including a gypsy theme for this section. Image
Read 12 tweets
Apr 28, 2021
Today we’re gonna take a look at Stranger Things from HHN 2019, this was the second maze we created for the Netflix series and like the previous one it was housed inside Stage 29. The original idea was to do a maze based solely on season 2 but it ended up with a tease of Season 3 Image
The maze began where season 1 ended, with Will in his bathroom vomiting up that strange parasite that would eventually become the Demo Dogs. This scene utilised our “disappearing room” effect, changing from a normal bathroom to a Upside Down version... ImageImageImage
From there we took you back through the Byers house that we visited in 2018, only now you’re doing it in reverse and the walls are covered with Will’s tunnel maps that he drew after encountering The Mind Flayer. All of these drawings (and there were a ton) were created by hand... Image
Read 25 tweets
Apr 22, 2021
OK...let’s see if I can take you through “The Curse of Pandora’s Box” by only using the text from the poem I wrote for Pandora to narrate in the maze. This is either going to be cool or a complete disaster! So let’s do this... Image
“Come inside...come inside
Anything can be acquired...
Anything your heart desires...” ImageImageImageImage
“Come inside...come inside...
Anything can be acquired...
Anything your heart desires...” ImageImageImage
Read 17 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(