Will Oremus Profile picture
Apr 27, 2021 13 tweets 5 min read Read on X
This leaked internal Facebook report on its content moderation failures (and qualified successes) leading up the Jan. 6 riot makes for a fascinating, concerning, and also just plain ~weird~ read. buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanma…
Facebook at this point has whole teams and task forces full of Very Serious People devoted to monitoring the site for bad guys. They've developed a CIA-worthy lexicon of jargon and acronyms to diagnose and classify the different types of bad guys and intel techniques.
It's clear some folks at FB are putting real effort into making the site non-democracy-destroying. Yet all of their topic classifiers, CIRD pipelines, regex and classifier tracking in HELLCAT, and manual analysis via CORGI modeling are no match for the site's underlying dynamics.
I know it's a cliche at this point, but remind yourself that this was a site that an undergrad started for college kids to check each other out and post gossipy wall posts on each other's profiles, and then read this paragraph again. buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanma…
Who have guessed that "coordinated inauthentic behavior" would prove an impoverished and dangerously inadequate framework for addressing the threats posed by online movements to democratic societies?
Narrator: Lots of people guessed that
I know "coordinated inauthentic behavior" is an easy target, but it's emblematic of FB's failures in this realm. It's a tortured attempt to define online harm in an objective/apolitical way, to avoid value judgments. And *that's* how you miss something like the Jan. 6 riots.
Here's @evelyndouek in July 2020 on the weirdly uncritical acceptance of FB's awkward, squishy "coordinated inauthentic behavior" frame, and why that might turn out to be a problem: @https://slate.com/technology/2020/07/coordinated-inauthentic-behavior-facebook-twitter.html
FB's internal report recommended a "broader definition of coordination," which feels like rearranging the stars in the Ptolemaic system. Until Facebook is willing to stake out some values more substantive than "authenticity," it's always going to be fighting the previous battle.
But the deeper, underlying problem is one that simply can't be addressed by teams of Facebook researcher/spooks with names like the Disaggregating Harmful Networks Taskforce wrestling through updated Adversarial Harmful Networks policies. (I swear I'm not making these up.)
The underlying problem with Facebook is its own basic premise: that building automated global networks to instantly connect vast numbers of people around whatever turns out to best push their buttons would somehow be an inherent good for society, and not a fast-motion trainwreck.
If I still worked at @ozm i'd 100% have @dlberes slacking me exasperatedly rn to make this into a post instead of a convoluted twitter thread.
I'm sure this is true, and tbf the report does nudge in the direction of construing "harm" more broadly than in objective behavioral terms. My point is that the scope of work for these teams is always constrained to take the underlying model as a given.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Will Oremus

Will Oremus Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @WillOremus

Apr 19, 2023
This visual deep dive into one of the largest AI language datasets is nonstop fascinating and troubling and anyone who is remotely interested in how LLMs really work, their biases, or intellectual property should read it. washingtonpost.com/technology/int…
"Content without consent" is a concern that I could see catching on as more people gradually realize the content they've published and posted over the years is being secretly used to train for-profit AI models. washingtonpost.com/technology/int… Image
If your AI chatbot is spouting some disturbing views, it could be because the websites that contributed the most language tokens to its training dataset include the likes of RT, Breitbart and VDare. washingtonpost.com/technology/int… Image
Read 9 tweets
Apr 5, 2023
Asked for examples of sexual harassment at law schools, ChatGPT named a GW prof accused of touching a student on a class trip to Alaska, citing a WashPost story.

The prof is real. The rest was made up.

We wrote about what happens when AIs lie about you: washingtonpost.com/technology/202…
It gets weirder. Bear with me.

ChatGPT generated the fake scandal involving law prof @JonathanTurley in response to prompts from @VolokhC last week. Turley wrote about it in a @USATODAY op-ed Monday.

Today we tested the same prompt on Microsoft's Bing AI. And guess what...
@JonathanTurley @VolokhC @USATODAY Now Bing is *also* claiming Turley was accused of sexually harassing a student on a class trip in 2018. It cites as a source for this claim Turley's own USA Today op-ed about the false claim by ChatGPT, along with several other aggregations of his op-ed. Image
Read 7 tweets
Dec 16, 2022
remember when musk claimed he was a “free speech absolutist”
Amazing. Now Twitter has suspended my colleague, Washington Post tech reporter Drew Harwell, without explanation--apparently for his tweet critical of Musk, which included a screenshot of Mastodon's tweet.
Musk's Twitter now appears to be rapidly suspending the accounts of journalists and others who tweet screenshots of tweets from other banned account. It's a free-speech bonanza!
Read 5 tweets
Dec 14, 2022
bizarre as it sounds, i think this is actually the clearest and most plausible explanation yet for how musk justifies this entire twitter boondoggle to himself
musk saw twitter as the root of the “woke mind virus” which he blamed for everything from the media criticizing him to his employees complaining about racism & sexism to liz warren pushing a billionaire tax. and he thought buying it could put a stop to all that.
and then he added this longtermist rationale where if the woke mind virus continued unabated, great geniuses like him would forever be plagued and smothered by critics and regulators like in an ayn rand novel and then we’d never build rockets and then we’d never make it to mars.
Read 4 tweets
Dec 9, 2022
There are some mildly interesting details in here but presenting it as some new and shocking and secret finding is either ignorant or disingenuous. There have been whole news cycles about Twitter shadowbans. I know because I’ve written about them multiple times over the years.
Sorry, I do have more to say about this, just have to finish putting the kid to bed first lol
Twitter first announced—yes, announced! publicly! they even held briefings for me and other reporters on it!—the set of moderation practices that critics would later dub “shadowbanning” in May 2018. I called it “Twitter purgatory.” slate.com/technology/201…
Read 15 tweets
Dec 8, 2022
New: The war has sent *8 million* Ukrainians fleeing to Europe. With Russia shelling infrastructure ahead of a frigid winter, more are on the way. Germans and Poles have welcomed them—so far.

A massive Russian disinfo campaign is working to change that. washingtonpost.com/technology/202…
In 2016, Russian trolls famously used social media to sow division in the US around race, immigration, Hillary etc.

Today, they're trying to do something analogous in Germany, a critical Ukraine ally—tearing apart its consensus on Ukraine from the inside. washingtonpost.com/technology/202…
"Russian disinfo" gets thrown around a lot, but it's not always clear what it looks like, how it works, and the complex ways it plays out in the real world. Our goal with this story was to dive into that, combining new research by @ISDglobal w/ on-the-ground reporting in Germany.
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(