Pulp Librarian Profile picture
Apr 27, 2021 12 tweets 7 min read Read on X
Many readers* have asked me when I'm going to cover classic Argentinian progressive rock magazines of the 1970s.

Well GOOD NEWS! That day has come as I look back at Pelo magazine! Step this way...

(*OK, none as yet) Image
Pelo - Spanish for Hair - grew out of the burgeoning Argentinian rock scene of the late 1960s, where bands such as Manal, Almendra and Los Gatos were kickstarting the Spanish-language rock movement. Image
PINAP was a pop music magazine launched in Buenos Aires in 1968. Daniel Ripoll, part of its editorial board, was asked by them to set up one of Argentina's first big open air music festival - 1969's Festival PINAP. ImageImage
However the festival turned out to be 'too rock' for PINAP. The magazine was more interested in 'the castaways' - náufragos - as the hippie movement in Argentina was known. Image
Ripoll was a huge fan of rock and keen to promote Argentinian and Spanish-language rock music. So in February 1970 he launched Pelo, a magazine more in tune with the progressive and heavier elements of rock music. ImageImage
Pelo was the first Argentinian music magazine to take rock seriously. Really seriously. Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull, Joe Cocker, Marc Bolan - Pelo was a magazine for people who really lived the rock scene, even if they could never get to a gig. ImageImage
Part of Pelo's success was down to mail order: it was one of the first music magazines in Argentina you could subscribe to. ImageImage
Another part of the magic was the quality of its journalism, as well as the liveliness of its letters pages. ImageImage
But it was its championing of Argentinian rock that really set Pelo apart from its competitors. And by the mid 1970s it was finding and promoting artists from Peru, Chile, Uruguay and Venezuela, as well as supporting Spanish-language acoustic rock. ImageImage
The 1970s was a terrible time for Argentina and Daniel Ripoll did not escape the ire of the military authorities. In 1978 he was arrested and held for two months in prison for publishing Pelo and editing MAD magazine in Argentina. On release he was sent into exile in France. ImageImage
By the end of the '70s, with tastes changing and new magazines emerging, Pelo moved on from prog rock to embrace punk, new wave and stadium rock. But it stayed true to its instincts: serious journalism and Spanish-language rock. ImageImageImageImage
The full archive of Pelo has now been made available online: revistapelo.com.ar Do check it out to see what the '70s rock explosion felt like in Argentina!

More stories another time... ImageImage

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Pulp Librarian

Pulp Librarian Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @PulpLibrarian

May 17
Time for a pulp countdown now, and today it's my top 10 trendy tipples!

Stand by for a world of sophistication... Image
At #10: port! It's basically Xmas turbo-wine to get you through to Boxing Day.

Best mixed with Pepsi apparently... Image
At #9: Guinness! Liquid power for grandparents that tastes... well let's just say there's a reason they don't sell it warm any more. Image
Read 12 tweets
May 16
What do Batman, Spiderman, Bettie Page, Madonna and women wrestlers have in common? Well I'll tell you: they all feature in the life of today's featured pulp artist.

Today I look back at the career of "the father of fetish" Eric Stanton! Image
Eric Stanton was born in New York in 1926. His childhood was marred by many illnesses, and confined to bed he learnt to draw by tracing comic books. He was fascinated by strong Amazonian women like Sheena, Queen of the Jungle and soon began creating similar cartoons. Image
After high school Stanton joined the Navy in 1944, putting his skills to use in drawing aircraft recognition cartoons. Post-war he got a job with cartoonist Gordon 'Boody' Rogers, creator of Babe: Amazon Of The Ozarks. Image
Read 18 tweets
May 12
Given the weather is getting warmer I feel obliged to ask the following question: is it time to bring back the leisure suit?

Let's find out... Image
Now we all know what a man's lounge suit is, but if we're honest it can be a bit... stuffy. Formal. Businesslike. Not what you'd wear 'in da club' as the young folks say. Image
So for many years tailors have been experimenting with less formal, but still upmarket gents attire. The sort of garb you could wear for both a high level business meeting AND for listening to the Moody Blues in an espresso bar. Something versatile. Image
Read 13 tweets
May 12
Today in pulp... Swedish science fiction covers! Image
Kometkatastrofen ("The Comet Disaster"), by Olof Möller. Pocketbook, 1977. Image
Smekmanad I Helvetet (Daymares) by Fredric Brown. Lindqvist Pocket, 1970. Image
Read 13 tweets
May 11
Time for another pulp countdown now, so here's my top 10 trivia facts about writers and publishers!

At no 10: writer Mark Twain invented the bra strap in 1871. Image
At no 9: Edgar Allan Poe's poem 'The Raven' was originally going to be about a parrot. Image
At no 8: Dashiell Hammett was originally a Pinkerton private detective; his first case was to track down a stolen Ferris wheel. Image
Read 10 tweets
May 10
Today in pulp... Blade Runner! Let's look back at the classic 1982 movie and see how it compares to original novel.

"It's not an easy thing to meet your maker..."
Blade Runner is based on Philip K. Dick's 1968 novel Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? However 'inspired' may be a better word, as the film is very different to the book. Image
In the novel Deckard is a bounty hunter for the San Francisco police. The year is 1992; Earth has been ravaged by war and humans are moving to off-world colonies to protect their genetic integrity. They are given organic robots to help them, created by the Rosen Association. Image
Read 22 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(