Rachel Thomas Profile picture
Apr 29, 2021 6 tweets 4 min read Read on X
Saving Face: Investigating the Ethical Concerns of Facial Recognition Auditing, from AIES 2020, by @rajiinio @timnitGebru @mmitchell_ai @jovialjoy Joonseok Lee @cephaloponderer

🧵with some quotes, but I recommend reading the full paper: arxiv.org/abs/2001.00964 1/ Saving Face: Investigating the Ethical Concerns of Facial Re
External algorithmic audits only incentivize companies to address performance disparities on the tasks they were publicly audited for

Microsoft & Amazon addressed gender classification disparity after audit, but still had huge performance gap by skin color for age classification We found that this result holds not only for the audited com
Audits have to be deliberate so as not to normalize tasks that are inherently harmful to certain communities.

Gender classification has harmful effects in both incorrect AND correct classification. Promotes stereotypes and excludes trans & non-binary individuals. 3/ While it is important to strive for equal performance across
Auditors need to consider the company's procedure/process, not just final performance on a benchmark.

Tax audits that evaluate a company's adherence to a compliance process (and not just submitted financial documents) led to better outcomes. 4/ Consideration 2: Auditing for Procedural Fairness. Auditing
Tension btwn representation vs privacy. Efforts to increase representation of marginalized communities can:
- lead to tokenism & exploitation
- compromise privacy
- perpetuate marginalization through population monitoring & targeted violence 5/ Privacy and consent violations in the dataset curation proce
CelebSET as a benchmark should not be considered as a reward to game or a goal to strive for, but a very low bar not to be caught tripping over.

The humble goal of the algorithmic audit is to expose blind spots rather than validate performance. 6/ Auditors, thus, should approach these evaluations with a cer

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Rachel Thomas

Rachel Thomas Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @math_rachel

May 16, 2023
Friends with no previous interest in AI ethics have been asking me about it recently, so I want to share several underlying concepts about AI & power that are important to understand. 🧵 1/
AI and Power: The Ethical Challenges of Automation, Centralization, & Scale

Based on 20-min talk:

Blog post version: rachel.fast.ai/posts/2023-05-…
2/
In Australia, automation was used to scale putting poor people into debt (often illegally). The govt went from creating 20,000 new debts PER YEAR to creating 20,000 new debts PER WEEK, many of them bogus, but hard for people to appeal. 3/
Read 10 tweets
Mar 21, 2023
Viruses: The Silent Triggers of Autoimmune & Neurodegenerative Diseases (how a simple cold can lead to life-changing disease) 1/

My new post: rachel.fast.ai/posts/2023-03-…
Rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn's disease, Multiple sclerosis, Type 1 Diabetes, Lupus, Hashimoto's, & Psoriasis impact a range of body systems, but all are autoimmune diseases.

Developing a lifelong autoimmune disease is often first triggered by an infection. 2/
Medicine is very siloed, and autoimmune diseases have often been treated in separate silos, based on which body system they impact, limiting our broader understanding of common threads. 3/
Read 8 tweets
Mar 6, 2023
Even common viruses can have long-reaching, surprising, & devastating consequences. Fortunately, there are simple steps we can take to reduce transmission. 1/

My new post: rachel.fast.ai/posts/2023-03-…
The idea that a common childhood virus can quietly hang out in your nervous system, reactivate decades later to cause shingles, and then months AFTER shingles blisters clear up cause blood clots & strokes is mind-boggling to me 2/

theconversation.com/chickenpox-and…
VZV (chickenpox virus) is not just linked to strokes, but also linked to multiple sclerosis or vascular dementia (my note: possibly through reactivating other viruses).

Numerous common viruses increase risk of Alzheimer's or Dementia. 3/ cell.com/neuron/fulltex…
Read 8 tweets
Feb 7, 2023
After 12 years working as a data scientist & AI researcher, I have gone back to school for a Masters in Immunology. When I become fascinated by a topic, I want to learn as much as I can. 1/

rachel.fast.ai/posts/2023-02-…
My ultimate goal is to apply my machine learning & data ethics skills to immunology, but I want to make sure I fully understand the underlying domain & relevant context first. (With ML, it’s important to not just be a hammer searching for a nail). 2/
Immunology is a complex and vast field, full of open questions and not-yet-fully-understood phenomena.

Viral infections have been significantly associated with many neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer’s. 3/
cell.com/neuron/fulltex…
Read 6 tweets
Nov 11, 2022
I made a mastodon account a few weeks ago: @math_rachel@mastodon.social (in case twitter falls apart)

I haven't used it yet and have mostly been taking a social media break prior to this. 1/
I used to post a lot on twitter (about machine learning, working in tech, algorithmic harms, & later covid). I loved this place and I learned a lot from others here. Thank you to those I met & learned from. (I plan to stick around, but who knows what will happen.) 2/
Being high-risk during an ongoing pandemic, not being able to safely access healthcare, seeing how many people I used to respect are going along with the erasure & destruction of disabled people-- all this has shattered my previous worldview. 3/
Read 4 tweets
Aug 11, 2022
This is a thorough, incredibly well-researched explanation of the Qld government's unscientific & unethical pursuit of a "wall of immunity", which was doomed to failure before it had even begun. by @ColinKinner

medium.com/@ColinKinner/l… 1/
Please watch the embedded video of Chief Health Office Dr. Gerrard. Note that when he repeatedly says that it is inevitable & necessary for us to all catch covid, he is speaking as someone with significant political power. 2/ Photo of Dr. Gerrard at a press conference, wearing a white Photo of Dr. Gerrard at a different press conference.  Subti
Messaging from @qldhealth continues to focus on social distancing & hand-washing, even now in 2022. It has been known since 2020 that #COVIDisAirborne (we need high-quality masks & ventilation; 1.5m != safety), yet public health officials have still not updated their approach 3/ Image of 2 posters encouraging people to "stop the spre
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(