Just because the whole thing is crazy doesn’t mean it won’t make it on Broadway!

The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984) dir. Frank Oz
wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/650036899…
Just because the whole thing is crazy doesn’t mean it won’t make it on Broadway!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Cory Doctorow NONCONSENSUAL BLUE TICK

Cory Doctorow NONCONSENSUAL BLUE TICK Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @doctorow

May 1
Boeing's 787 "Dreamliner" is manufactured far from the company's Seattle headquarters, in a non-union shop in Charleston, South Carolina. At that shop, there is a cage full of defective parts that have been pulled from production because they are not airworthy.

1/ A Boeing 737 Max with Boeing livery, flying through a grey-blue sky. It has split in two. The tail section, which is falling out of the sky, has a large REJECTED stamp on it. A parachute sailing away from the wreckage suspends a '¯\_(ツ)_/¯' ASCII shrug emoji.   Image: Tom Axford 1 (modified) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Blue_sky_with_wisps_of_cloud_on_a_clear_summer_morning.jpg  CC BY-SA 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.en  --  Clemens Vasters (modified) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:N7379E_-_Boeing_737_MAX_9.jpg  CC BY 2.0 https://creativecommons...
If you'd like an essay-formatted version of this thread to read or share, here's a link to it on , my surveillance-free, ad-free, tracker-free blog:

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/05/01/boe…
Boeing's 787 "Dreamliner" is manufactured far from the company's Seattle headquarters, in a non-union shop in Charleston, South Carolina. At that shop, there is a cage full of defective parts that have been pulled from production because they are not airworthy.

3/
Read 66 tweets
Apr 30
Anything that can't go on forever eventually stops. Monopolies are intrinsically destabilizing and inevitably implode...eventually. Guessing *which* of the loathesome monopolies that make us all miserable will be the first domino is a hard call, but Ticketmaster is definitely high on my list.

1/The Capitol building. Before it sits a vast pile of hundred dollar bills in rubber-banded packets. Behind it is a set of stadium concert lights. Overhead hangs a crooked, dirty sign bearing the Live Nation wordmark. The Capitol building is a-crawl with vivid green tentacles.  Image: Matt Biddulph (modified) https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbiddulph/13904063945/  CC BY-SA 2.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/  --  Flying Logos (modified) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Over_$1,000,000_dollars_in_USD_$100_bill_stacks.png  CC BY-SA 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/b...
If you'd like an essay-formatted version of this thread to read or share, here's a link to it on , my surveillance-free, ad-free, tracker-free blog:

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/04/30/nix…
It's not that event tickets are the most consequential aspect of our lives. The monopolies over pharma, fuel, finance, tech, and even beer are all more important to our day-to-day.

3/
Read 38 tweets
Apr 29
Cigna - like all private health insurers - has two contradictory imperatives:

I. To keep its customers healthy; and

II. To make as much money for its shareholders as is possible.

1/ An existential plane extending to an abstract background. Scattered through the scene are mainframes and control panels, being worked by faceless figure. In the center stands a downcast MD in old-fashioned scrubs. In the foreground to the right is an impatient older man in a business suit, staring at his watch and brandishing a sheaf of papers. In the background left is a grim reaper figure raising a glass of blood in a toast, the blood spattering his robes. In the center background in large magnetic 'computer font' lettering is the word 'NO.'

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/04/29/wha…
Now, there's a hypothetical way to resolve these contradictions, a story much beloved by advocates of America's wasteful, cruel, inefficient private health industry.

3/
Read 61 tweets
Apr 27
One of my weirder and more rewarding hobbies is collecting definitions of "conservativism," and one of the jewels of that collection comes from @CoreyRobin's must-read book *The Reactionary Mind*:

1/ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_React…
A 19th century photo of bailiffs using a battering ram to evict debtors from a thatched cottage in Ireland. The photo has been hand-tinted and the logo for Alden Capital has been added to the tip of the battering ram. A vulture in a top hat overlooks the scene.

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/04/27/for…
Robin's definition of conservativism has enormous explanatory power and I'm always finding fresh ways in which it clarifies my understand of events in the world.

3/
Read 49 tweets
Apr 25
This is huge: yesterday, the @FTC finalized a rule banning noncompetes for every American worker. That means that the person working the register at a Wendy's can switch to the fry-trap at McD's for an extra $0.25/hour, without their boss suing them:

1/ ftc.gov/news-events/ne…
An ominous long institutional corridor. At the far end of it is a collection of workers with their upraised fists merging into a single giant fist. In the foreground is a guillotine manned by a pair of revolutionary French executioners who labor over a prone, doomed aristocrat.

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/04/25/cap…
The median worker under a noncompete is a fast-food worker making close to minimum wage. Guess who doesn't have to worry about noncompetes? Techies in Silicon Valley, because California already banned noncompetes, as did CO, IL, ME, MD, NH, ND, OK, OR, RI, VA and WA.

3/
Read 65 tweets
Apr 23
If AI has a future (a big if), it will have to be economically viable. An industry can't spend 1,700% more on Nvidia chips than it earns indefinitely - not even with Nvidia being a principle investor in its largest customers:

1/ news.ycombinator.com/item?id=398835…

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/04/23/max…
A company that pays $0.36-$1/query for electricity and (scarce, fresh) water can't indefinitely give those queries away by the millions:

3/semianalysis.com/p/the-inferenc…
Read 68 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(