Dr. Paula R. Curtis Profile picture
May 3, 2021 7 tweets 3 min read Read on X
So, if I want to tweet wildly outside my area of expertise I should tweet from a fake account? I see you are modeling this well! 😌Also glad you believe screencapping people lacks dignity--please convey this to Sachi & co, who began this dispute by screencapping us repeatedly. ✨
I mean, yeah, I could. And I would. But they're not the ones harassing us online right now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ When they do, the same will happen to them. I'm equal opportunity in my burn delivery service.
According to Bad Kitty, exposing people & their tweets with screencapping lacks dignity. 🤔 Perhaps someone should have spread the word back in... February?
This could have been avoided in March, too!! あらあら
I am sure our online harassers have far too much dignity to screenshot anyone! That would just be so terrible... no decency at all. Even in April? Only people with no morals do that, surely! 😩
Seriously though, if you started screencapping people to harass them and they responded by... doing the same back to you, you do not have any grounds for being indignant, friends. Fair is fair, and Twitter is public.
You cannot "expose" something that is already public, y'all.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dr. Paula R. Curtis

Dr. Paula R. Curtis Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @paularcurtis

Apr 15, 2023
When people ask why I continue to give talks about Ramseyer, this is why. Under the guise of defending "academic freedom" and "viewpoint diversity" (now dog whistles), people defending denialism, exploitation, and harassment are digging in their heels. thecrimson.com/article/2023/4…
Does it surprise anyone that these are names attached to the membership of this Council on Academic Freedom? Image
As my colleagues and I have written in numerous places, the issue at hand with Ramseyer was not "academic freedom" but academic integrity. Knowing the difference is crucial. They are a broken record. apjjf.org/2021/22/Curtis…
Read 6 tweets
Apr 15, 2023
11 job ads this week in East Asian Studies! See the details of this week's postings below in the thread or visit the filter database to search by category or keyword. 📊🌏 Now 813 entries. prcurtis.com/projects/jobta… Image
China-related job ads

non-TT
🔸East Asian Studies: University of Southern California

postdoc
🔸Political Science: Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

N/A
🔸Admin: University of Manchester
Japan-related job ads

non-TT
🔹Language: Middle Tennessee State University; University of Arizona; Utah Valley University; Virginia Tech
Read 8 tweets
Feb 11, 2023
21 job ads this week in East Asian Studies! See the details of this week's postings below in the thread or visit the filter database to search by category or keyword. 📊🌏 Now 661 entries. prcurtis.com/projects/jobta…
China-related job ads
TT
🔸Literature & Culture: Sogang University
🔸PoliSci: National Tsing Hua University

non-TT
🔸History: College of William & Mary
🔸Language: University of Cambridge

N/A
🔸Library Services: Library of Congress
Japan-related job ads
TT
🔹PoliSci: University of Pennsylvania
🔹Literature & Culture: Aichi Prefectural Uni

non-TT
🔹Language: University of Tsukuba; Harvard University; Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies; Waseda University

postdoc
🔹Museum: Vassar College
Read 6 tweets
Dec 28, 2022
Okay, so #Receptiogate is trending in multiple countries. If you missed the beginning of this (still unfolding) drama over plagiarized research, fake research institutes, and medieval manuscripts, here's a compilation to get you started with your bowl of popcorn. ⬇️🍿
There's so many subthreads and additions to various things from the Twitter community that I'll inevitably miss some stuff stuff (and some is slightly out of chronological order), but here it goes!
This began with Peter Kidd (@mssprovenance), an independent scholar, finding that portions of his work on his blog and in other formal published venues had been taken without credit by a woman named Carla Rossi of Receptio. He wrote about it on his blog:
Read 83 tweets
Dec 7, 2022
Premodern historian here. No. Slavery absolutely existed in Japan for centuries. There were various forms of unfreedom experienced by Japanese as well as Chinese, Koreans, and likely others in various time periods. Bondage that was linked to debt, that was hereditary, etc. 🧵
These forms of unfreedom are associated with a number of different terms, but some include nuhi 奴婢, or genin 下人. William Wayne Farris has pointed out that in the 8th and 9th centuries Japanese society comprised 5-10% slaves (nuhi) "whose families could be broken up by sale."
In the medieval period, we actually get an article in the first warrior law code, the 1232 Goseibai shikimoku, with explicit stipulations on when one could legally dispute ownership of their nuhi (which I translate here as bound servant) and how to divide their children.
Read 16 tweets
Dec 5, 2022
For those scratching your head at the latest Hot Take™ about academic presentations, some transparency 🧵: as an early career scholar I am typically offered somewhere between $100~$500 for a 1.5 hour talk + Q&A. Average maybe $300. 1 hour class lectures usually less, maybe $200.
The most I've been offered for a single lecture session is $500, to my recollection (an Ivy). SLACs often (apologetically) can only offer somewhere between $150-250. Same with NPOs. Smaller schools & NPOs usually have fewer funds & could *never* offer something like $3.5k (lol).
Sometimes they can cobble together $100 here & there from different departments/centers in order to offer more than an individual unit could otherwise. One SLAC asking me to do a big lecture + a class visit + a mentoring session managed to string together $750, but that's rare.
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(