Shaun Lawson Profile picture
May 9, 2021 8 tweets 2 min read Read on X
As depressing and cynical as British politics so often is, you have to admit that very few electoral systems anywhere allow for stuff like the below.

I've spent the last 10 minutes in tears of mirth just looking at these images. 😂😂😂

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Shaun Lawson

Shaun Lawson Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @shaunjlawson

Jun 23
THREAD: Scotland's men's national football team.

Ireland have qualified for 6 major tournaments. They reached the knockout stages 4 times.

Wales have qualified for 4. They reached the KO stages 3 times.

Northern Ireland have qualified for 4. They reached the KO stages 3 times.
(Technically, twice in their case - because of FIFA's daft format of four groups of three in the 1982 second phase - but Northern Ireland reached the last 12 and BEAT HOSTS SPAIN, so we'll ignore that).

Scotland have qualified for 12 major tournaments in their history.
This being the twelfth. They have NEVER reached the knockout stages. Is today, Sunday June 23 2024, when the interminable, excruciating wait finally ends?

By the way: they've actually qualified for 13. But in 1950, they refused to take up their place!
Read 116 tweets
May 25
Emily, of course, knows exactly why Newsnight is being deliberately run down. She's just too decent a human to spell it out.

So I'll spell it out instead. The reason why Newsnight, probably the best current affairs programme on the planet for decades, is being destroyed is:
- The same reason as Emily was raked over the coals by her CBC (no typo) bosses for the crime of asking Rod Liddle whether he considered himself a racist and highlighting his never-ending racism.

For having depicted a racist as a racist, she had "failed to be even-handed".
- And the same reason as when she declared that Dominic Cummings had broken the rules during lockdown when he'd... broken the rules during lockdown.

A journalist stating facts sent the CBC into fits of apoplexy.
Read 24 tweets
May 22
I don't think Sunak's chucked it exactly. He's not a complete idiot; he does, contrary to many appearances, know what reality is. It looks like this:

1. This election is unwinnable with any strategy or for any Tory leader. It's been that way since the mini-budget in 2022.
2. The Tory party is also completely unmanageable - especially under anyone who even vaguely tries to look for the centre ground. Just as it was between 1993 and 2005.

3. Waiting till the end of the year would've meant EVEN MORE public fury and disgust.
There's no rabbits out of hats that can be pulled here. Any Tory MP who thinks there are is plain delusional. Which brings me to:

4. The currents of the Conservative Party are drifting ever further rightwards: towards Badenoch or even Braverman. Ever further away from reality.
Read 10 tweets
May 5
OK, let's deal with this. It's too easy and trite to dismiss it as antisemitism - it certainly comes up a lot.

Labour Friends of Israel was founded in 1957. Less than a decade after Israel's creation: which a Labour government had a HUGE amount to do with.
I think the number 1 reason Israel-Palestine is such a constantly huge issue on the British left and in British politics generally is just that: our large historic role.

Yet back in 1957, Israel barely enjoyed any real US support. That didn't follow for another decade.
It, along with Britain and France, had just shamed itself in front of the world during the Suez crisis: when an apoplectic Eisenhower said sanctions would be imposed unless there was an immediate withdrawal.

Which promptly followed, with Britain especially humiliated.
Read 21 tweets
May 3
Yes, that claim was completely false. But:

1. No, it wasn't the primary claim or any kind of claim given it was completely debunked before the war

2. You don't seem aware of the history of Iraq annexing Kuwait, them being driven back out, or of the whole of the 1990s!
The reason we know Iraq had WMD (including chemical weapons) is:

1. Saddam used those chemical weapons against the Kurds at Halabja and against the Iranians in the 1980-88 war

2. Ourselves, the US, France, West Germany and the Netherlands had sold them to him!
The WMD were destroyed in the mid-90s. However, Saddam pretended he hadn't - and executed his son-in-law when he told the world they had been.

Why did he do that? Because with Iraq completely crumbling, Saddam's only hope of survival lay in playing the regional 'strongman'.
Read 23 tweets
Apr 28
The thing that shocks me about @simon_schama, a fellow alumni of the same school incidentally, is he's not just a brilliant historian with a majestic ability to explain complex events in rivetingly engaging ways people can identify with.

He's always - until now - been so HUMANE.
That was what echoed throughout so much of his work. His warmth, his humour, his empathy, his sheer humanity.

Now, it's completely gone missing. I would say I find it incomprehensible - but not quite. Here's why.
I fully understand the emotional connection so many Jews all around the world feel to Israel.

After what she went through in the Holocaust, my gran stopped believing in God - how in the world could she after what she'd experienced? - but became a fierce supporter of Israel.
Read 35 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(