Paliparan Profile picture
May 11, 2021 39 tweets 30 min read Read on X
Day 5 of the Croatia trip. After indulging in cevapi for dinner and bureks for breakfast it's time for some exercise. A bit of biking and swimming on the island of Čiovo it is for today! ImageImageImage
Cycling the narrow roads of Čiovo.. ImageImageImageImage
Goal of the bike ride: this beautiful church on the cliffs above the water, which I would have completely missed out on if not for a great tip I got yesterday from a knowledgeable local. Absolutely stunning, peaceful location. Image
What a great view.. and not another soul around. ImageImageImageImage
Let's dive in and open this year's swimming season! ImageImageImageImage
Cycling back to Trogir - with a pit stop for coffee and some much needed water. ImageImageImageImage
Some more Trogir impressions. ImageImageImageImage
There are many other areas of Croatia worth visiting too but this one definitely has been great. ImageImageImageImage
Split is of course always worth a visit as well. I have only been once before here, passing through on a big Balkan road trip w friends on a 2nd hand Zastava GT55 (a 'stojka') bought for 400 euro in Bulgaria. Cheaper than a rental and endlessly more fun! Fond memories. ImageImageImageImage
Split is of course best known for Diocletian's Palace, built in the 4th Century for Roman Emperor Diocletian. A palace might not be the best term as it was more of a fortress, of which half was used as personal palace and the rest as military barracks plus other functions. ImageImageImageImage
Best about Split is not the area of Diocletian's Palace, nor the touristy palm-fringed seaside boulevard, but its backstreets. Colourful, full of local life, and with some great restaurants and bars. ImageImageImageImage
Food and wine in Croatia van be as good as in Italy. Pizzeria Portas makes excellent pizzas, and for the best ice cream in Split go to Ela's Icecream & more (the orange and ginger flavour is fantastic). Bonus pics: two local cats. Unfortunately not as many here as in Dubrovnik. ImageImageImageImage
Time to slowly head home. First by taking the IC train to Zagreb. Split's small station is located right next to the harbour with frequent passsenger ferry departures to the islands - as well as Italy I believe. ImageImageImageImage
The two-car carriage looks fine from up front, but wait.. what happened to the rear part where my assigned seat is? An ugly ad pasted over the windows ruining the view!! The railway executives who signed off on this really deserve a special place in hell. ImageImageImageImage
Departing Split. Right after leaving the station the train runs through a tunnel under the city centre.
At first the train runs parallel to the sea, but soon climbs up higher and goes inland proper. ImageImageImageImage
Having moved to the other carriage, at least I'm able to enjoy the fantastic views. As you can see, there are plenty of rock formations where the line runs right through.
One great advantage of this route is that the (single) track is built high up the hillside for most of the line, which means sweeping views over the green countryside.
Arriving at Perković, where a branch line to Šibenik joins the main Zagreb to Split railway.
This really is a scenic line well-worth travelling on. Many Croatians take buses as they are more frequent and faster due to excellent motorways, but you would miss out on most of this. And even when the views are similar, it's just not the same feeling from a bus window. ImageImageImageImage
Approaching Knin, famous for its hilltop castle and nearby waterfalls. There is now only one daily IC service due to trackworks, otherwise you could take the morning train here, look a bit around, and move on with the afternoon train. It saw heavy fighting in the war of '91-'95.
Scenery between Knin and Gracac. ImageImageImageImage
At Gračac the train stops for 10 minutes. It being the Balkans, half the passengers go out to smoke. ImageImageImageImage
After Gračac the scenery changes a bit as the mountains grow taller and the environs more wild, less verdant. ImageImageImageImage
And after the highlands we follow the course of the River Mrežnica to Karlovac - the last stop before Zagreb. ImageImageImageImage
Along the river. FWIW both sides of the train have good views depending on the exact part of the line but if you can opt for left-hand side seat going Split to Zagreb as 65% of the best views are from there (this is one of the exceptions where not, the part right after Knin too)
One thing Croatian Railways does well is having proper seat maps, showing direction of travel and allowing you to select your exact spot when you book online.
Approaching our final stop: Zagreb.
Zagreb Glavni Kolodvor. This night, I'm stretching my budget a bit (partially thanks to Hotels.com great book 10 nights get a night free loyalty programme) by staying in the most historic hotel in town - just a three minute walk away from the station. ImageImageImageImage
Built in 1925 to provide accommodation for passengers of the Orient Express, the Esplanade has tons of history and a great Art Deco interior - a style which I absolutely love (together w Art Nouveau). Even the lift oozes class! ImageImageImageImage
And quite fitting to these days of train travel, my room overlooks the gorgeous railway palace where HŽ, the Croatian Railways, re headquartered. ImageImageImageImage
So let's explore Zagreb a bit more. A great place for coffee is a hiddden bar one floor up in a building overlooking the central square of Trg Ban Jelačić. The sign at the door reads 'club privé' but it's no sex club, but a legit, normally priced bar! ImageImageImageImage
Dolac is the market place where each morning to early afternoon there is a big farmer's market. Empty by the time I arrived with cleaners tidying up some lettuce.leaves on the floor and workers disassembling market stalls. ImageImageImageImage
And on to the upper town where many of the Croatian government buildings are housed. ImageImageImageImage
One of my favourite museums in Europe is the Museum of Broken Relationships as it's so bittersweet. This time the exhibits are rather more on the bitter than on the sweet or funny side, however. Also lots of stories about the recent Balkan wars. ImageImageImageImage
Some more exhibits.. ImageImageImageImage
As a point of comparison, the last time I visited they had more of such hilarious items on show with brilliant descriptions. Image
Evening stroll, passing by some old favourite watering holes (Tolkien's House, Harat's). For good local craft beer, try the brews of 'The Garden'. ImageImageImageImage
Back in the hotel, with a complimentary bottle of red which I somehow got as an extra perk through my lowly silver status on hotels dot com (and a very fine wine that is too!). Signing off for now, one-and-a-half days of train travel back home to follow tmrw morning. Goodnight! ImageImageImageImage

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Paliparan

Paliparan Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @PaliparanDotCom

Apr 21
In Putin's Russia, you don't travel to the border, but the Russian border travels to you. I'm on the Curonian Spit at the Lithuanian-Russian border, one of Europe's most geographically unusual and beautiful border regions, and I'll be exploring the Lithuanian half of the spit..

If you missed the previous updates detailing my overland trip by train from Romania to Lithuanian, as well as visits to Kaunas, Vilnius, Trakai, and Klaipeda, then check the thread below 👇

First a little map to actually show where I am. The Curonian Spit is a 98-kilometre (61 miles) long, thin sand-dune spit that separates the Curonian Lagoon from the Baltic Sea. The northern half is Lithuanian, the southern half is part of the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad.. Image
Read 49 tweets
Jan 25
High-speed trains, Saudi Arabia style! Today I'll be travelling on the Mecca-Jeddah-Medina Haraiman High Speed Railway, a 453-kilometre-long line linking the two holiest cities in Islam. Image
The railway is operated by a Saudi-Spanish consortium, which includes Spanish rail company Renfe and infrastructure company Adif. Unsurprisingly, Spanish Talgo trains are used on this high-speed line. In my Uber on the way to Jeddah's station I get my first glimpses of the line.. Image
Jeddah Al-Sulaymaniyah Station, located quite a distance out of the city centre, looks impressive from the outside..

Read 34 tweets
Jul 20, 2023
Back at Bucharest Gara de Nord for my second travel adventure this summer month. I'm heading to Bratislava, Slovakia. By train on the outbound journey, flying on the way back. So let's do a comparison in price, comfort and travel time! Image
Gorgeous sunset colours on this hot day..

I'm booked on the IRN 78 'Muntenia' night train to Budapest. Its advantage over the 2 other night trains from Bucharest to Hungary (Ister to Budapest, Dacia to Budapest & Vienna) is the late departure at 9.46pm, which still allowed me a full day of work and dinner at home. Image
Read 39 tweets
Mar 18, 2023
Time for the first trip with my brand new passport! Bit of planespotting and tracking of the inbound flight on Flightradar while I quietly sip my gin tonic.. You need some booze to make Bucharest Otopeni Airport bearable! Image
On an Air France Airbus A319 towards Paris CDG.. ImageImageImageImage
Neat little upgrade to business class for today's flights. Good meal, friendly service. Wanted to keep it to only 2 glasses of champagne but the FA insisted I had 2 more glasses of Joseph Perrier. Who am I to say no?! ImageImageImageImage
Read 37 tweets
Sep 5, 2022
With 2 weeks validity left on my 3-month Interrail pass it's time for one last trip this summer: From Romania to Scotland by train! Am a bit sad kissing the kitties goodbye, but here we go for the first leg, which can only be the Dacia night train to Vienna..

#SleeperToScotland ImageImageImageImage
There she is! Naturally, I managed to get one of the few en-suite compartments in this sleeper wagon.. ImageImageImageImage
As I travel this route frequently (and Tweeted quite a lot about it in the past) I will take a short Twitter break and just enjoy the ride. Check the thread below for my previous experience on the Dacia train if you want to learn more about the route..

Read 302 tweets
Jul 21, 2022
The main reason why I bought my Interrail pass is that I had 2 trips planned this summer (wedding and family visit) and I wanted to do them all the way by train. Today is the first! Sad to kiss the cats goodbye, but they are in good hands and this will be a fun trip hopefully.. ImageImageImage
So let's travel from the Danubian lands to the Rhineland! Train number one on this trip is of course the Dacia sleeper train from Bucharest Gara de Nord to Vienna.. Here you can see the train being shunted into the terminus station, also having some through cars to Cluj added..
I'm booked in a private sleeper for the ride to Vienna - one of the few in this carriage which also features an en-suite bathroom with shower! ImageImageImageImage
Read 141 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(