✨ Jean Yang ✨ Profile picture
May 13, 2021 6 tweets 8 min read Read on X
Taylor Swift as notable #AAPI computer scientists. 🧵

Andrew Yao, 2000 Turing Award Winner. Known for proving Yao's Principle. See also: Yao's Millionaire's problem.

#AAPIMonth
Raj Reddy, winner of the 1994 Turing Award for pioneering work in artificial intelligence. Mentor to @kaifulee.

#AAPIMonth
@kaifulee Jeannette Wing, who co-developed the Liskov Substitution Principle. Leader in formal methods research. Head of @SCSatCMU 2004-2007 and 2010-2012.

#AAPIMonth
@kaifulee @SCSatCMU Peter Lee, head of @MSFTResearch. Head of @SCSatCMU 2005-2008. Co-developer proof-carrying code.

#AAPIMonth
@kaifulee @SCSatCMU @MSFTResearch Victor Zue, former head of @MIT_CSAIL (and my student advisor when I was a PhD student there). Pioneer in speech processing.

#AAPIMonth
@kaifulee @SCSatCMU @MSFTResearch @MIT_CSAIL Harry Shum, known for work on computer vision, graphics, and on @bing, of which he was previously the VP. Previously head of MSR Asia.

#AAPIMonth

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with ✨ Jean Yang ✨

✨ Jean Yang ✨ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jeanqasaur

Oct 20, 2023
When I started Akita, we had an office and people loved coming in.

In 2020, I pivoted almost my entire team. A big part of it: finding people who worked well remotely.

What I learned about remote vs in-office: they require VERY different cultures. You can't just flip a switch!

🧵/
Before 2020, I had my biases about offices.

To me, the office was an essential character in every story of innovation. I believed that every early-stage startup needed to be colocated to make it.

How else could you build trust? How else did the magic happen?

2/
Then the pandemic hit. I was early to tell my team to stop coming to the office.

As first, my belief in offices became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

We tried to collaborate. We tried to socialize. Nothing was the same; nothing was working. I parted ways with a lot of my team.

3/
Read 11 tweets
Mar 17, 2023
When ChatGPT came out, I was excited about the ability to prototype with AI. Everyone now has an ML team at their fingertips!

What I underestimated: how much ChatGPT is a *UI* prototyping tool.

Quick thread about how our team prototyped 4+ new capabilities in < 1 week. 1/
At Akita, we’re building the fastest time-to-value monitoring solution, helping teams get set up to find and fix any API-related issues in under 30 minutes.

We do this by passively watching and analyzing API traffic. This means we’ve got a ton of data about our users’ APIs. 2/
As we’ve been building out our product, a major bottleneck was doing something productive with all the API data we collect.

Before ChatGPT, every new capability required building a new analysis in the backend AND new frontend support. This was a lot of work per capability! 3/
Read 12 tweets
Feb 10, 2023
Today, software is more like a rainforest rather than a planned garden. Code bases are more complex than ever before; the rise of SaaS and APIs means prod is the only source of truth.

But dev tools haven’t caught up.

Dev tools need a ChatGPT makeover. Here’s what I mean.

1/
Software engineering used to be about writing self-contained code.

Today, most software engineering is about making assumptions about how the mess of reality works, trying your best to code against that, seeing how things shook out, and repeating until it all works.

2/
But while software engineering has become more like archeology or biology than engineering, most dev tools don’t help with that part.

Dev tools continue to focus on what is traditionally considered software development: writing code, reading code, and running tests.

3/
Read 10 tweets
Jan 13, 2023
I was @AdeetiU's guest at an MIT alumni event focused on MIT EECS's initiative to increase gender representation among grad students.

Afterward, we talked about how intimidating was to be a young woman in a male-dominated field.

In case it helps others, here's what helped me.
@AdeetiU There's a lot of advice for women not to get talked over, to get a seat at a table, etc.

What was most helpful for me was to realize that a lot of gender differences are cultural differences. They're often not personal and they're often not consciously discriminatory.
A book I found really helpful for navigating predominantly male environments was Georgetown sociolinguist Deborah Tannen's book /Talking From 9 to 5: Men and Women at Work/.

It helped me pick up a few patterns that helped me more easily establish rapport and get listened to.
Read 11 tweets
Nov 15, 2022
Like many of you, I've been following what's been going on at Twitter Eng with great interest.

The current situation is undeniably extreme and terrible for many employees.

But it does share common patterns with I've been seeing across the software industry.

Quick thread. 🧵/
First off, Twitter isn't the only company to cut costs. And they're not the only ones to do it by reducing the size of their eng team. 😔

Similarly, Twitter isn't the only company with high churn. One in three American workers switched jobs during the Great Resignation. 2/
There has been talk of Twitter devs oncall for services that they know very little about, where the original authors are gone.

This is not fun but unfortunately not uncommon: I've come across lots of teams in this position. Churn leads to owning stuff you don't understand. 3/ Twitter devs oncall for services they didn't write
Read 8 tweets
May 20, 2022
Upon popular request: skincare products as developer tools, a thread.

Starting with CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion with SPF as a linter. One of the highest-leverage, lowest-cost things you could invest in. Prevents headaches and slows down aging. CeraVe day creamESLint
People often think you need to do heavyweight static analysis for code correctness, when simple static type-checking can go a long way.

Similarly, you usually don't need a harsh heavy-duty cleanser; a lightweight oil one is enough.

Next: Simple Cleansing Oil as TypeScript. Simple cleansing oilTypeScript
In both skincare and in dev tools, you should make your products work for you as much as possible.

A good way to do this: invest in a good night cream the same way you invest in a good automated testing framework.

Here's Belif Aqua Bomb as Selenium. Belif Aqua BombSelenium
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(