Cosmic Penguin Profile picture
May 15, 2021 16 tweets 6 min read Read on X
LOL I didn't expect our interesting neighbors across the Pearl River to be the first bringing the coordinates of the Chinese Mars Rover...

For the record landing time (I assume Earth receive time?) was 23:18 UTC May 14: m.weibo.cn/7340734455/463…

Zhurong becomes the 1st Mars rover to land sitting on the deck of a "conventional" lander, first foreseen for the cancelled Mars Surveyor '01 lander. ImageImage
Deployment animation of Zhurong, which should happen within the next 3 sols per reports.

Source: Chinese Academy of Sciences mp.weixin.qq.com/s/CHHEsu9WuSYD…
Outer Solar Arrays movement:
Sideways driving:
Turning around:
Mast and HGA deployment, coming soon:
Some very hazy timing of pre-EDL events on the 14th:

17:XX UTC - Orbiter engine burn lowering periapsis

20:XX UTC - Lander separates from orbiter

"~30 minutes after separation" - Orbiter re-raises orbit

On CCTV it was reported that "first opportunity to downlink photos will be around midday-afternoon BJT", i.e. within next few hours. The relay orbiter is currently on the opposite side of Mars.

(I wonder if it's the TW-1 orbiter or one of ESA's? @esaoperations are you involved?)
This video confirms that the lander has descent imaging and LIDAR for obstacles avoidance. Hopefully they will be downlinked soon! (*clicks on @HiRISE site in preparation*)

t.cn/A6VLIstj
Big Red Screen (TM)

According to CCTV Xi Jinping has made a congratulatory phone call to the TW-1 lander/rover team, giving it the same attention as @POTUS did with Perseverance etc. Image
It appears the initial reported coordinates are off, MCC screen shows 25.1 N, 109.9 E instead. Image
Turns out that the solar panels, mast and HGA deployment were already completed some hours ago (and reported during the CCTV program). Image
The usual DSN link session with Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter is going on. I wonder if it have tried to take photos of the landing (site) this time? 🤔 Image
Back to the Zhurong rover, CNSA vice-chief Wu Yanhua reports on the following future plans:

May 22 - rover rolls off lander deck
May 27 - Lander/rover mutual photographing session (so lander has deck cameras too)
May 28 - 1st scientific data downlink

m.weibo.cn/detail/4637113…
Meanwhile the orbiter as it turns out only returned back to its 2-sol period orbit after the re-raising burn (see @ea4gpz’s blog). It will make another orbit before lowering its orbit apoapsis to 15000 km (1/3-sol period) to allow for twice-daily communication sessions w/ rover. Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Cosmic Penguin

Cosmic Penguin Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Cosmic_Penguin

Jul 2, 2023
Chinese Spaceflight of 3rd Quarter 2023, A Thread - Confusing Landscapes, Dazzling Power Projection, Interesting Times: Image
This makes it 10 such Chinese triplets for the YG-35/36 group in 500 km 35 degrees inclination LEOs, plus another 10 of the YG-30 series in slightly higher 590 km orbits. That’s more launches used than even OneWeb did! We can all speculate what they are doing up there.
Maybe SpaceX should think of puzzle patches for Starlink too (maybe when Starship Starlink launches starts?). 😉

This is the 150th consecutive successful launch of a rocket named Long March. (I have to count and it’s 219 right now for Falcon) https://t.co/k16lyW6PiL

Read 94 tweets
Apr 27, 2023
Given that we might have investigated all those public data to death of the Starship launch a week ago, it might be time to hear some "expert opinions".

And who's better for this than the ones who really wanna make their own full Starship!

(this is actually written by a few engineers at the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology (CALT), *the* premium Chinese rocket builder for decades, to be published in a Chinese Society of Astronautics publication: mp.weixin.qq.com/s/0_6N7KiLArQ8…)

Key points summary coming soon...
So here's the summary of the article:

First part is a basic description of Starship/Superheavy & I don't see much that deviates from what we know.

They did give some figures in the flight profile that seems to be their estimates: Image
Read 24 tweets
Apr 25, 2023
Hmm...30 km/h at 80 meters height was the final data received for #HAKUTO_R. That's better than Beresheet and Chandrayaan 2's lander, but... Image
Yeah I'm actually not sure the data shown on the screen as "real telemetry" was actually not simulation. The presentation wasn't clear at that.

It's still better than Chang'e 4 lmao, where rumors of a *successful* landing ran for like 2 hours before official confirmation finally came. But that's, well, China so...
Read 21 tweets
Jun 20, 2022
SHOTS HAVE BEEN FIRED. I REPEAT, SHOTS HAVE BEEN FIRED.

In a seminar to Nanjing University, Sun Zezhou, program chief of Chinese Mars mission Tianwen-1, has reported on the Chinese Mars Sample Return mission.

TL;DR: Landing on Earth in July 2031, 2 years BEFORE NASA-ESA plans!
For those who don’t know, the Chinese plan is for a simpler 2 S/C profile, an Earth return orbiter S/C and a lander/MAV S/C, w/ digging right over the landing site & no rover involvement. It reminds me of @NASAJPL studies of MSR missions back in the 1990s, but w/ a dedicated ERO.
The current plans considers 2 possible mission schedules:

A. ERO launch Nov. 2028 -> MAV launch Dec. 2028 -> ERO arrival Aug. 2029 -> MAV landing Sep. 2029 -> ERO aerobraking complete Mar. 2030 -> MAV launch & sample transfer Mar. 2030 -> TEI Oct. 2030 -> Earth Landing Jul. 2031
Read 10 tweets
Jun 19, 2022
No fairing separation views… #Globalstar
SECO-1 at 533 km altitude, 26280 km/h.
Whatever could have been riding on top seems to be targeting a circular ~535 km high, ~52 deg. inclination orbit per the telemetry read-outs right now. I don't think such an object - if it exists - will deploy after the 2nd burn now that the orbit post-SECO-1 ends up circular.
Read 15 tweets
May 20, 2022
Meanwhile back in Jiuquan NW China, the probably LM-2C (maybe w/ upper stage?) launch to polar orbit as mentioned above should occur within the next hour.
No news so far, this increases the chances of an upper stage being used.
Read 246 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(