JohannesBorgen Profile picture
May 19, 2021 13 tweets 5 min read Read on X
As always, the @ecb 's FSR is a treasure trove of information. Here’s a thread with my top 10 charts in the report and why I think they’re interesting. (No special order). 1/13
Investor sentiment on CRE

What’s interesting here is that the last time sentiment was 20% “at through”... the market was actually at a through! But since 2015, “peak” sentiment has been growing, and so have prices.
Regressing bankruptcies rate and GDP: this spectacular chart tells the economic story of Covid better than 1000 words: losses have been “socialized”, banks & SMEs have been shielded. I think we won’t get back to the regression line simply bc losses have already been transferred.
CFD/Equity TRS volumes. This chart is absolutely insane because, let’s be honest, equity TRS/CFD are widely used by retail investors to take exposure they absolutely don’t understand.
This chart is important because it shows that the ECB is still desperately trying to find reasons to worry about asset quality, despite excellent bank results. This time it’s the uptick in forborne loans. It’s hard to share their concern.
Always nice to have an up to date view on moratorium, this from Feb 2021. The huge default rate in Ireland is worrying and Portugal is clearly the country where risk remains largely unknown.
Let’s look at what contributed positively (in green) to changes in bank profitability and what contributed negatively (in red.) You can’t seen any green? Yeah, me neither. But banks are up 27% this year! Can you spell forward looking?
And the reason for that is in this chart – also a key item for the SSM, the ECB’s supervisory arm: profitability is expected to rise sharply. But look at that big orange bar! Cutting costs will be crucial. Social costs + execution risk = be careful.
This chart is extremely puzzling.

Credit risk RWA increased sharply in Q1.. then fell. This can’t be because ratings improved. Public guarantees were supposed to cover new loans, but I suspect what we see here is that banks have been offloading risks on the governments.
The right part of the chart is really for people who mock internal models: at least, those models didn’t say credit risk is going down during the biggest macro shock in a decade!

Really puzzling difference between IRB/SA
Just a fun chart on data which is hard to find: what kind of alternative assets do insurers buy?

Real estate, real estate, oh, and real estate. Also a bit of loans. All veryyyy liquid 😊
And the last one, on a major but geeky topic. Banks with a small capital buffer were VERY reluctant to use their buffers, despite reinsurances from supervisors that they could do so.
Maybe they didn’t believe it, maybe they didn’t see a quick path to restore buffers post crisis
Anyhow, this puts the topic of MDA on the table again – and AT1 investors should really watch this, it could be a game changer.

Go read the whole thing, it's really good!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with JohannesBorgen

JohannesBorgen Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jeuasommenulle

Jun 11
If you're following French politics, you'll probably hear about a weird theory soon, as it's likely to go mainstream: Macron could resign, call for new presidential elections and run again, effectively bypassing the 2-term limit.

Is it credible? I don't think so and here's why.
The Constitution bans more than two consecutive terms.

Everyone pretty straightforwardly understands this as "Macron can't run again in 2027" (but could pull a Putin & come back in 2032.)
However the exact wording mentions "mandats consécutifs" which, some suggest, implies that if someone is a temporary president after Macron resigns (even for a few weeks) then a 3rd Macron term wouldn't be "consecutive." Image
Read 6 tweets
Jun 10
By now you've probably read 10 times that Macron called parliamentary elections to put RN/Le Pen in power & wait for them to mess up so much that Macron's heir will win in 2027.

I think that's a possible scenario but not his goal at all. It misses Macron's real target.

Thread.
Many reasons why it's probably not his goal.

1.- The main negative for Le Pen is that she (&her father) have always been seen as incapable of governing. They’re a protest party, nothing more. Break that taboo and you could actually help them.
2. A majority for Le Pen not certain. They've got 88 MPs, majority is 289. They scored 19% at last parliamentary elections vs 33% yesterday but were at 23% previous European elections. The two-round system makes the votes/ seats relationship highly non linear. Forecast is v hard.
Read 15 tweets
May 30
The headlines that grabbed attention yesterday was this: "ECB to Impose First-Ever Fines on Banks for Climate Failures."

But the climate and bank headline that was actually important is a totally different one.

An (important?) thread.
An “ECB” working paper (so in theory just academic work, but, errr.) published 2 days ago discussed capital buffers for climate risks. T

he basic idea makes sense: an increased pace in energy transition is good for the climate but could hurt the credit profile of some companies.
How is this assessed?
The ECB has built a macro model that’s mostly based on energy prices, spillovers & leverage / profitability that ultimately leads to probabilities of default. A neat model but tbh I’m always dubious – unfortunately macro models can’t even forecast 6mo infla
Read 10 tweets
May 13
Is another (what ?! not again!) Italian bank going to be bust?

The price action of BFF certainly doesn’t inspire much confidence.

What happened? Simple: the Bank of Italy did an inspection and suspended dividends (but not AT1 coupons.)

But why? Now, that’s a funny story. Image
The bank’s called BFF – no, it’s not your teenager’s best friend, it’s the old Banca Farma Factoring.

They have a very odd business model: they buy commercial claims on public administrations.

Because PA are so late in payments, cash strapped SME go to BFF to get their money.
On average, the Italian situation doesn’t look THAT bad (chart below). But this hide huge differences & peak delays can be extremely high.

In fact, it was so bad that the European commission decided to refer Italy to the court of justice because of it (in 2017.) Image
Read 14 tweets
Feb 20
Interesting note this morning from DB about ECB policy review and money market rates. Let me summarize it.

ECB has de facto moved from a corridor system to a floor system with unlimited MRO + QE.

But as QE etc unwind, there’s a big risk lurking. A thread
For those unfamiliar with the jargon, a corridor means that the market rate (EONIA) is stuck between two policy rates, the deposit facility rate (DLF) and the marginal lending rate (MLF.)

That’s what it looked like before 2008 & the GFC.

(Market rate is yellow) Image
After all hell broke loose in '08, the ECB flooded the market with money and this is what it looked like: market rates were stuck at ECB deposit rates because there was too much money in the system and it had to be deposited back at the ECB (ECB money is just doing round trips). Image
Read 10 tweets
Nov 24, 2023
My 2 favorite docs are the Jap & Ger financial stability reports because they give a glimpse at the horror of small unlisted banks😁(don’t sue me, I’m just kidding).

What did we get from the new German one ?

Buckle up, as they say in 10,000$ a year doomsday newsletters.
You won’t believe it: CRE is in trouble – but tbh office is surprisingly resilient so far. Image
Ok, CRE is fun, but have you tried interest rates risk and bn of securities unrealized losses in the balances sheet?

Realised is 25.8bn so total is around 70bn€. Tbh this is also not that much compared to the US shitshow. Image
Read 14 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(