Rui Ma 马睿 Profile picture
May 20, 2021 9 tweets 3 min read Read on X
1/ Here are the contents of Zhang Yiming's "resignation letter" from ByteDance Global CEO.
Someone said "he's my spirit animal." Yeah I think if you're a nerd you might find that to be the case.
2/
3/ He wants to focus on new upcoming tech paradigm shifts.
FYI, he wanted to study biology in college, and he's said many times his favorite book is "Basic Biology" (a textbook)
4/ How cute, he quotes Alice in Wonderland :D
5/ He doesn't want to be a "passive node" in meetings all day. And he wants to be more involved in the cutting edge stuff ByteDance is doing, which apparently includes brain diseases.
6/ I'm an introvert and I don't want to do all the things required of me as CEO. Rubo, my college classmate and cofounder, is better suited for this job.
7/ I hope you support me in my journey.
8/ Translated with @DeepLcom, with edits / corrections by me, full original Chinese letter here:

mp.weixin.qq.com/s/NMDo4H40gCvi…
But actually LOL the official document is on their website:

bytedance.com/en/news/60a526…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Rui Ma 马睿

Rui Ma 马睿 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ruima

Nov 5, 2023
Fascinating thoughts from a Chinese-American founder who’s working on AI in global markets re: disruptive power of this new tech:

“996, labor-intense, low salary companies might be a concept of the past, when you pay only $50,000 for an engineer …
… which is very decent a price tag in most part of the world, you are not going to spend another $10,000 for training, tools, etc.”

His point is that in the US where labor is so much more expensive it’s much easier to justify buying AI training and tools for the workforce
And that these will yield much more interesting, unpredictable and scalable benefits over time.

“when i presented thses AI new trends in HR, finance, etc … they don't give a sh*t, especially in Singapore”

To be fair, it’s hard to find people who give a sh*t anywhere …
Read 4 tweets
Jun 8, 2023
Should I invest in Mexico??

1/ Tesla is mobilizing Chinese suppliers to establish factories in Mexico, aiming to replicate the success of its Shanghai factory. This move comes as Tesla seeks to expand its production capacity and maintain its competitive edge.
2/ Several Tesla suppliers have already announced plans to build factories in Mexico. For instance, Sunrise Group announced in March that it would invest up to $276 million in a production base in Mexico, which is expected to commence operations in July or August next year.
3/ Tesla's fifth super factory will be located in Monterrey, the capital of Nuevo León in Mexico. This factory, with a planned capacity of 1 million vehicles, will be a key player in Tesla's next production leap.
Read 4 tweets
Jun 7, 2023
1/ Are you seeing extra discounts on Amazon? Chinese media & sellers are speculating it's due to Temu. Amazon sellers have noticed an unanticipated 20% reduction on their product listings, impacting entire categories. This is a development they did not initiate.
2/ Moreover, this reduction extends to both third-party sellers and Amazon's own products, irrespective of whether they are new or old. Sellers are anxious, as this unexpected 20% decrease could lead to losses, esp for those who had already implemented discounts of 20-30%."
3/ The rationale behind Amazon's strategy is a topic of speculation among sellers. They conjecture that it's a strategic response to the growing influence of Temu on Amazon's market share. Additionally, it serves as an effective precursor to the forthcoming Prime Day.
Read 4 tweets
Jun 7, 2023
The accelerator fka YC China now called MiraclePlus had their Spring 2023 Demo Day recently. Of the 60 cos who presented, 41 were AI, 39 related to LLMs, 23 enterprise software, 11 robotics.
Average age of the founders is 29, with 78% holding a master's degree or above, 67% having an overseas background, and 32% of the projects having female founders. Below are descriptions of 10:
1. PrimeAI: Provides one-stop chip customization and IP authorization services.
2. HiBug: Uses AI to solve programming bugs.
3. Aura: Creates AI-driven interactive network experiences.
4. Ruoshen Robots: Develops modular, cost-effective rehabilitation robots.
Read 5 tweets
Jun 7, 2023
Dude wtf never buy a property with HOA my in-laws did and their HOA is charging them $13K+ USD in fees for supposedly illegally parking their RV for a year during COVID. The board actually verbally said OK then reneged then cancelled a buncha mtgs & now charging for BS legal fees
Totally taking advantage of the fact that they are immigrant elders with mediocre English & so sending one scary letter on lawyer letterhead after another. They’d totally not do this to a more confident and let’s face it non-minority. And yeah this is the Bay Area
Sorry but which lawyer charges $13K to read through a HOA manual? Clearly just taking advantage of folks they know are intimidated by the legal system ie most immigrants I know. MIL is traumatized and crying thinking they’re coming after her life savings w nonstop letters
Read 4 tweets
Jun 6, 2023
Wow. Sequoia is splitting itself into three firms. China will become HongShan (actually just the pinyin of Sequoia) & India and Southeast Asia will become Peak XV. Separation to take place by March 2024.
They downplayed the geopolitics but come on, we aren't blind.
My impression from having Sequoia founder friends & portcos is that the cooperative spirit across countries was definitely there, but not super tight or anything. And for certain sectors the insights just don't translate across markets, eg SaaS.
I don't think all those media reports about "OMG Sequoia China investing into OpenAI competitors" helped. I mean, were they supposed to not invest in AI when no law banning such? Not part of fiduciary duty of looking out for LP best interests?

forbes.com/sites/alexkonr…
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(