Jason Choi Profile picture
May 20, 2021 13 tweets 4 min read Read on X
Are whales cashing out of $BTC?

What about $ETH?

Let's take a look at the data.
1/ From the run up from $17K - $60K, addresses with more than 10K $BTC have been falling.

From January to April when $BTC almost doubled in price, there was a roughly 10% reduction in mega whales.

Because the number is so low and may contain exchange addresses it's a bit fuzzy.
2/ Addresses with >1K $BTC ($40M currently) is likely more representative of "whale"/ long term believers.

This was a sharper bunch and basically started selling around $38K, all the way to the top.
3/ So if whales were cashing out, who was buying $BTC to sustain it from $50K - $60K?

As always, probably the retails, defined as addresses with >0.1 $BTC, kept buying even as price continued to move up, and consolidate under resistance.
4/ Now let's look at $ETH whales (>10K ETH addresses).

Here 10K is at market value only $26M, so it's somewhat comparable to the >1K BTC whales (more so than the 10K BTC mega whales).

Here, $ETH whales are actually accumulating into yesterday's dip, reaching almost ATH!
5/ Perhaps somewhat surprisingly, addresses with >1K ETH, are falling.

Since >1K includes >10K, it means ~10% of the addresses with between 1K - 10K ETH (2.6 - 26M) have been cashing out (and missing the recent rally).
6/ Anecdotally, I know a lot of DeFi users who cashed out last month to stables, felt horrible about missing the entire ETH run in May...

And now are buying back and basically in the same spot as their counterparts who hodl through

Two paths, same outcome
7/ However, even though whales cashing out of $BTC may sound bearish, whales often seem to sell **way** too prematurely.

In the last cycle, if you sold as 1K $BTC addresses started to fall, you miss a 30x in $BTC's run from $600....to $20K!
8/ One can argue that the last cycle was primarily driven by retail mania, so whale activity was less relevant - and that large accounts like institutions dominate the market more this cycle.

But that'd be wrong too...
9/ The supply of $BTC held by addresses with 10k-100k has actually fallen drastically from last cycle vs. this cycle.

Compare this with the 0.1-1 $BTC small fish address. It's only going one way as $BTC finds its way to more and more hodlers.
10/ So what can we glean from the above?

- Over time, there are more holders for $BTC & $ETH
- Whales are buying the $ETH dip hard!
- Whales can control price movement in short term, but long term the masses matter more
- Mega whales often sell waaay too early
ps/ Yes I realized I used "addresses" to refer to UTXO but I'm too lazy to correct it and noobs won't care about the difference in parlance
ps2/ As an aside - I think $ETH needs some time to settle after a massive run up, and panicky crypto investors likely default back to $BTC for lower vol and “safe have” in the immediate short term.

No strong conviction either way, 50:50 $BTC $ETH for now

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jason Choi

Jason Choi Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @mrjasonchoi

Jul 18
How to Get Rich in Crypto (Without Getting Lucky) - Part II
3 years ago, I wrote a thread about how people got rich in crypto based on 100s of convos with founders + investors on @theBlockcrunch.

This thread is a follow up providing principles for speculators + builders, based on my new learnings as an investor.

There are two ways to compound wealth: hold assets that appreciate over time, or swap them for ones that appreciate faster.

Statistically, <1% of people who try the latter succeed over time.
Read 38 tweets
Jul 19, 2023
Few thoughts on $MNT and why I'm long

TLDR 🧵
1/ Yesterday, @BitDAO_Official successfully migrated its token to @0xMantle, a new Layer 2.

Mid-curvers saw this as a "sell the news" event but objectively the migration represented a significant event that is now derisked. Image
2/ I've stood by my view that tech is necessary but not sufficient; distribution is king.

Despite the rebranding of $BIT to $MNT, @0xMantle is effectively @Bybit_Official's attempt at creating their BSC, but one that is more in line with Ethereum's L2-vision.
Read 7 tweets
Jul 15, 2023
After my interview with @ArkhamIntel released today on @theblockcrunch, I dug into some of the claims made on the show.

Here's a short follow-up thread to address one of the comments made.

1/ On the episode, I asked @RealMiguelMorel why it took so long for @ArkhamIntel to rectify the issues regarding user's emails being publicized. Specifically, I brought up @NFTherder's claim about being able to tie emails to wallet addresses.

2/ Miguel cites that the claim has "never been verified", that images may be doctored and that "it is impossible to do so", "on Arkham and elsewhere on the Internet".

Given the responses I've gotten for this statement, I decided to fact check this.

Read 10 tweets
May 5, 2023
After months of work...

Finally dropping our 30-page report on $FIL on @theBlockcrunch, commissioned by @protocollabs!

This is the one read you need to be completely caught up with @Filecoin's past traction and future plans.

A few highlights: Image
1/ Over the past 2 years, @Filecoin has quietly exploded in growth since the launch of its FIL+ campaign

Year over year, this represents a 1800% growth in usage - in a time when most charts in crypto went the opposite way.

bit.ly/3LYteO5 Image
2/ Filecoin's dominance against other "storage networks" is almost comical.

No single Web 3 storage network provides *remotely* as much capacity as Filecoin has in the 2.5 years since its launch.

bit.ly/3LYteO5 Image
Read 7 tweets
Apr 21, 2023
DVTs is one of the most overlooked narratives for $ETH.

One of the leading projects just raised $12.5M from VCs.

Only one token is tradable today (see below) 👇 Image
1/ Now that the Merge + Shapella are completed, Ethereum's vision as a PoS network is realized.

To recap, there's 4 main ways holders can stake their $ETH today: Image
2/ Currently, Staking-as-a-Service, Pooled Staking and CEX's control majority of stake.

While some of these services are more decentralized than others (e.g. @Rocket_Pool vs. @LidoFinance ), client diversity remains a concern. Image
Read 9 tweets
Apr 20, 2023
How one of the first NFT trading funds makes money 👇

- via @theBlockcrunch Image
1/ Most NFT funds in crypto focus on picks-and-shovels (@opensea), exchanges (@blur_io) and companies (@yugalabs).

@sgsand1 raised a $4.5M fund to ONLY do NFTs

Here are the highlights in a 50-min interview on @theBlockcrunch where I tried to pick his brain
2/ "The most common mistake NFT traders make is trying to seek index exposure"

i.e. diversification into poor quality assets in a correlated sub-asset class is not smart diversification
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(