Clint Smith Profile picture
Jun 1, 2021 15 tweets 7 min read Read on X
My new book HOW THE WORD IS PASSED is out today. It explores how different places across the country reckon with, or fail to reckon with, their relationship to the history of slavery. I gave this book everything I have. Here are the places I visited 🧵:

littlebrown.com/titles/clint-s…
I start in my hometown of New Orleans, thinking about what it meant that I grew up in majority Black city in which there were more homages to enslavers than there were to enslaved people. I started the book after watching the Confederate statues come down in the city in May 2017
I traveled to Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson, trying to explore how a place remembers a man who both wrote one of the most important documents in the history of the western world, and who also enslaved over 600 people during his life including four of his own children.
I traveled to the Whitney Plantation, the only plantation in Louisiana (and one of the only in the country) that is dedicated to telling the story of slavery from the perspective of the enslaved. A plantation surrounded by many plantations where people continue to hold weddings.
I traveled to Angola prison, the largest maximum security prison in the country and a place where incarcerated people continue to work for virtually no pay on land that was once a plantation. A prison that has a gift shop where where people can purchase coffee mugs like this...
I traveled to Blandford cemetery, one of the largest Confederate cemeteries in the country—where the remains of 30,000 Confederate soldiers are buried—and spent time with the Sons of Confederate Veterans. This is the entrance to the cemetery which reads “OUR CONFEDERATE HEROES”
I traveled to Galveston, TX for Juneteenth and spent time in this building, Ashton Villa, with the people who work to keep the memory of Juneteenth alive on the island where in 1865 Union General Granger issued General Order No. 3 which proclaimed in Texas “all slaves are free”
I traveled to New York City to explore how slavery was memorialized in what was once the second largest slave port in the US & whose mayor wanted to secede from the Union. And where I learned things like how the Statue of Liberty was intended to celebrate the abolition of slavery
I also traveled abroad to Dakar, Senegal in an effort to explore how slavery was taught and remembered in Western Africa. I visited the famous House of Slaves at Gorée Island to explore how a single door in a single home became one of the primary symbols of the slave trade.
And I traveled to the National Museum of African American History and Culture with my grandparents. Walking through a museum that documents so much of the violence and history they experienced first-hand. Interviewing them and getting insights into their lives I had never known.
This book wouldn’t be possible without the remarkable generosity of all of the public historians, tour guides, descendents, incarcerated individuals, museum curators, artists, activists, teachers, and students who told me their stories. So many people doing such incredible work.
I want to also thank the historians @agordonreed, @DainaRameyBerry, @ProfLMH, @KevinLevin, and @abufelix12 who a year ago read this manuscript and gave me feedback that was more helpful and generative than I have the words to express. I’m so grateful for their time and engagement
Thank you to my editor @vanessamobley, my agent @AliaHanna, and my wife without whom this book would not have been what it is. An entire community of friends and family made this possible
I hope you’ll consider getting a copy:

And if you need some more convincing, here is an excerpt of the book:

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Clint Smith

Clint Smith Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ClintSmithIII

Sep 8, 2023
Until several months ago I had never read Uncle Tom’s Cabin. When I finally read it, I discovered that Uncle Tom was inspired by a formerly enslaved man named Josiah Henson. I’d never heard Henson. I wanted to learn more. Months of research led to this:

theatlantic.com/magazine/archi…
Henson was one of the first Black people to be an exhibitor at a World’s Fair. He met with President Hayes and Queen Victoria. He built businesses that gave Black fugitives a livelihood after years of exploitation. He reportedly rescued 118 people, more than Harriet Tubman.
Given all that he had done, I wondered why American students weren’t being taught about Josiah Henson when they learned about Harriet Tubman, or why they weren’t assigned his autobiography alongside Frederick Douglass’s
Read 7 tweets
Dec 27, 2022
HOW THE WORD IS PASSED is out in paperback today and is available everywhere books are sold. I’m so appreciative of everyone who has spent time with this book and am excited for it to enter the world in this new, less expensive, and more accessible form.

Where to even begin? The past 18 months have been such an incredible journey. The way you all have embraced this book, shared this book, taught this book, discussed this book, highlighted this book, dog-eared this book, and wrestled with this book have blown me away.
The way you all have read this book with your families, read this book with your bookclubs, read this book with your coworkers, and read this book with your classmates has been nothing short of a dream.
Read 7 tweets
Nov 16, 2022
Since my story exploring German remembrance of the Holocaust came out yesterday, I’ve really appreciated people sharing photos of Stolpersteine they’ve encountered, as well as those dedicated to their own family members. I’m going to share some. Please keep sending them.
Read 16 tweets
Nov 14, 2022
I’ve spent the past year visiting memorials, monuments, museums, and concentration camps in Germany, exploring how that country remembers the Holocaust. I wanted to understand if there was anything the U.S. could learn. Here’s the story of what I found:

theatlantic.com/magazine/archi…
2/ When I was writing my book, How the Word Is Passed, I was thinking a lot about what public memory looked like in the US, specifically in the context of slavery. After the book came out I began thinking more about what public memory to past crimes looked like in other countries
3/ I was especially interested in thinking about Germany, a place that is often lifted up as an exemplar of remembrance for their willingness to acknowledge, confront, and build memorials to the Holocaust and the role that country played in perpetuating that horrific crime.
Read 22 tweets
Nov 12, 2022
This week we put out the final episode of Crash Course Black American History. We worked on this series for over 3 years and put out 51 episodes spanning the transatlantic slave trade to the Black Lives Matter movement. I’m so proud of what we made.

youtube.com/playlist?list=… Image
In 2018, I got an email from @johngreen asking me if I was interested in working on a new @TheCrashCourse history series they were trying to build out. At the time I was a PhD student working on my dissertation, so while I was honored to be asked, I wasn’t sure if I had the time.
But after taking some time to think about it, I realized that this sort of thing was the very reason I had wanted to go to grad school in the first place. I wanted to go spend time learning from the vast scholarship *in* academia so that I could share it *outside* of academia.
Read 17 tweets
Oct 14, 2022
I was recently on a flight to Charlotte, and when the flight landed two women, one Black one white, got into an argument after bumping into one another in the aisle. When they got off the plane, the white woman turned to the Black woman, red with anger, and called her the n-word.
It had been many years since I heard that word used with that sort of unvarnished racism & venom. I was standing next to the Black woman as it happened. I was struck by a feeling that had, in an instant, swept over my entire body. Cortisol coursing through me. My skin on fire.
The Black woman and I both looked at one another as the white woman rushed off in the crowd after realizing others had heard her. I think we were both processing what had just occurred, processing how quick this woman had been to wield that word as the weapon she knew it was.
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(