Mark Lewis, MD, FASCO Profile picture
Jun 2, 2021 6 tweets 5 min read Read on X
In no particular order, 5 abstracts that caught my eye as a GI oncologist preparing for #ASCO21

KEYNOTE-177:
meetinglibrary.asco.org/record/195775/…

#crcsm

1/ Image
And the late-breaking CheckMate 648

Looking forward to a superb conference!

/end Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Mark Lewis, MD, FASCO

Mark Lewis, MD, FASCO Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @marklewismd

Jul 2
Exactly a year since the ABIM first famously advertised 👇the liberation of Longitudinal Knowledge Assessment during travel, I got an email while overseas that they'd informed my hospital credentialing department that I am no longer in compliance with Maintenance Of Certification Image
4.75 MOC credits (out of the requisite, previously earned 100) simply vanished (much like any hope of work/life balance on this trip, I suppose) Image
Now, I'm no stranger to the elusiveness of perfection
(and frankly 95.25 out of 100 is a lot better than my usual score; I'll take being an A student any day!)
Read 11 tweets
Mar 23
Yesterday my healthcare institution's media department fielded several requests from news organizations wanting to talk to an oncologist about Princess Catherine's cancer diagnosis & treatment

When speaking carefully to reporters I realized:

WORDS MATTER IN ONCOLOGY

/thread
A TUMOR BY ANY OTHER NAME

Many patients with cancer have to navigate a linguistic minefield with each new scan

Even in the era where the text of radiology reports may be immediately available to read, synonyms abound to the point of confusion: mass, lesion, neoplasm, tumor ...
THE ONCOLOGIST WITHOUT THE PATHOLOGIST IS BLIND

The reality is that scans are seldom enough to make a cancer diagnosis

We have a medical term -- pathognonomic, from the Greek pathos + gnomon ~ suffering + judge -- meaning an appearance that's totally distinctive of a disease
Read 16 tweets
Mar 22
I'm being bombarded by questions (quite understandably) about why any patient would undergo chemotherapy if a surgery had successfully removed their cancer

I struggled to come to the same understanding when I was first being trained as an oncologist

A THREAD
Not all chemotherapy is given because we can discern a tumorous mass, whether palpably on physical exam or, less superficially, visually on scans of the inside of the body

Even after an operation where a surgeon may say/think "we got it all!" microscopic residue can remain
In time, cells "left behind", say at the edge of an operative field or beyond, will tend to grow, as cancer is unfortunately prone to doing (its very hallmark is unchecked proliferation)

Enter the difficult concept of adjuvant chemotherapy
Read 10 tweets
Feb 20
My father died thirty years ago today

He was 49, I was 14

Most charitably it can be chalked up to my immaturity at the time of his death but it’s taken the full three decades since then for me to realize that I am not “getting over it”

I am never getting over it
The knottiest problem of grief arises when any recollection of the deceased becomes inextricably intertwined with re-opening the wound of their loss; the strands become too tangled for selective recall to unbraid painlessly
No wonder, then, that denial is the readiest reaction, the most reflexive of the Kubler-Ross stages, like a figurative hand withdrawn from a truth too hot to handle

When faced with a waking nightmare, it’s easier just to fantasize that it is all a bad dream
Read 21 tweets
Nov 17, 2023
WHY I (ALMOST) NEVER BOLUS 5-FLUOROURACIL

I've been pondering this thread for a while but it's become more urgent in light of another looming chemo shortage <deep sigh>, this time with an imminent dearth of THE foundational drug of GI oncology: 5-fluorouracil, or 5-FU
An attending of mine from fellowship said "every patient with GI cancer deserves to receive FOLFOX" and, while that may have been a statement of its time (I trained 2009-2012, pre-KEYNOTE 177!) it still has the ring of truth today
So, while we should ALWAYS be thoughtful prescribers of chemotherapy (primum non nocere, anyone?), if we have a finite supply of 5-FU, and some other cytotoxic drugs are likely only active with a fluoropyrimidine backbone, we should be particularly parsimonious with its use
Read 17 tweets
Aug 30, 2022
MISADVENTURES IN AMERICAN HEALTHCARE

1. Doctor orders scan that's clearly indicated for patient & which they've had many times before (allowing for apples-to-apples comparison)

2. Despite order weeks in advance, receive denial day-before from insurer without any explanation
3. Call phone # given to appeal; get routed to a website "provider portal" with dead-end links

4. Call back to phone # & wait until human being answers

5. Human being faxes claim # to doctor's office (in 2022 AD)

6. Fax retrieved, call back with claim # & re-enter phone tree
7. While on hold, hear maddening recorded message that said company stays "up-to-date on the latest imaging technology" (scan in question has existed for decades)

8. Human answers; says peer-to-peer can be scheduled in 2 business days
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(